Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Author Topic: Distress call AI behavior and strategies  (Read 1449 times)

Flying Birdy

• Commander
    • View Profile
Distress call AI behavior and strategies
« on: June 21, 2017, 09:01:39 AM »

Out of the items introducedin 8.0-8.1, the distress call is probably the most underused button next to neutrino detector.

Anyone find any useful, interesting or just funny (for the lulz) strategies for using the distress call? Is it an effective way of baiting AI scavanger fleets for food? What sort of effect does it have on scavanger fleets when you use it in a core system?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 09:04:21 AM by Flying Birdy »

Wapno

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Distress call AI behavior and strategies
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 01:58:28 PM »

Neutrino detector? Underused? You serious? It's one of the first skills I get and I'm not leaving on ANY long expedition to the fringe systems without neutrino detector, a supply of volatiles and a large storage to contain the loot.

Topic-wise, I've just tested - using the Distress Call in core systems doesn't seem to be any different than using it away from civilization - usually a fleet of independents will come (it was Persean League when I was testing it in the core systems) and will offer you some supplies and fuel, and you'll have an option to either pay them money for it, or offer nothing in return, for small a rep penalty.

Funny things start when you're trying to scam them. They WILL know if you actually have the fuel and supplies in your hold when you call for help. Oh, and don't try to fool them by dumping fuel/supplies somewhere and calling for help - they will know about that too and will not be happy.