Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 78

Author Topic: [0.97][WIP] United Aurora Federation 0.75c ( Hotfix 3 )  (Read 569007 times)

demonnoises

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Check out my terrible, terrible tweets. (NSFW)
Re: [0.9.51a-RC6][WIP] United Aurora Federation 0.72g1b
« Reply #360 on: September 17, 2022, 07:38:08 PM »

Some of the most well respected mod authors on the forum, collective thousands of hours of experience, going over long swathes of design philosophy and balancing concepts.

Me: "hehe space foxgirls go brrrrrrrrr need more railguns and aircraft carriers pls"
Running 50 mods is peak performance, actually.

V_KJ

• Ensign
  • Coffee tastes great, wdym?
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 18, 2022, 01:56:07 AM »

I think the balance issue is one of community-wide good practices; there's a tendency for power-creep arms races to spill over into feedback on other mods ('UAF is a powercreep munchkin mod{1}, why isn't your mod a powercreep munchkin mod? Make it like that! All mods should be like that one mod I like!') which is annoying but also pretty easy to filter out once you know that tendency is there.

But I agree that bothering Ryxsen is not the way to go about it. Personally, I took a look at the preview posts and decided 'nah' a long time ago; I'm sure if/when it's finished I'll take another look for curiosity, but the mod doesn't grab me now and doesn't seem like it's headed in a direction I'll like, so... I'm just not using it.

Simple as that. Not everyone has to enjoy or approve of every mod.

{1}Note; I don't actually think UAF is a powercreep munchkin mod, at least not by design. I'm just using it as an example because we're in the UAF thread. Feel free to mentally substitute some other mod if this hurts your feelings.

Honestly, balance should be after the mod's fully finished, rn it does say its a work in progress, so it being unbalanced is fine, Ryxsen can tackle that problem later. In my opinion, it isn't op in a sense, the only op thing is the dreadnoughts but that's what its supposed to be, dreadnoughts.

The only thing I have a slight problem is the writing aspect, but like balance, that's for later.
"How do you code in a Macbook?"

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 18, 2022, 07:40:57 AM »

I'll say this for the Supolev Alpha : it's unbalanced, but not absurdly so.  A combat freighter that doesn't have the durability of a Mule isn't so great as people might think.

The primary thing is a combat freighter doesn't have the penalty for taking the expanded capacity mods.  So you should consider the capacity of the Supolev after Expanded Cargo holds.

I'd personally give it a maintenance cost of 7 and reduce its speed to 90 or so, and tone down the cargo capacity so it only exceeds the mule after Expanded Cargo Holds.

Criarino

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 18, 2022, 05:11:55 PM »

are there any plans to rework some gun sounds? The Tona III 452 is such a powerfull weapon but sounds like popcorn. Also it would be cool if some had secodary explosions like some of tahlan shipworks' guns

Versil

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 18, 2022, 11:16:33 PM »

Nice mod
Awesome ships

The Lag Mechanic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 19, 2022, 09:43:24 AM »

So um love the mod top quality work and loved your art.
P.S also six words for those who know "Elite Blueprint Package" and "What the F***"

The Lag Mechanic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.51a-RC6][WIP] United Aurora Federation 0.72g1b / g1c_exp
« Reply #366 on: September 19, 2022, 04:23:13 PM »

Hey so an issue i have is that despite getting both faction reputation and Relation with Nia to max i am unable to request access, when i select the option nothing pops up, any ideas on how to fix this?

Aevita

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 20, 2022, 04:10:15 AM »

Disclaimer: I don't know much about balance, and i haven't spent like 2000h on this game to know everything in and out. (Most of my build are either random or self improvise.)

The UAF design remind me A LOT of IJN ship design in World of Warship:

1.They are INCREDIBLY squishy, one mistake and your ship gone. Shield down, eat one torp, gone. Reckless pilot?  You can kiss your ship goodbye.
 -This made playing with an UAF heavy fleet require more running and save scumming hard fight.
 -You can pick up the D-mod deleter skill, which help with fight where one or two ship going down. That or you can either reload, run or reload, try again everytime your ship die.

2. Kiting is the way. You can forget objective/ capture point cuz holding it will get your ship killed, very quick. the AI controlled ship also love to run away anw so there is that too.
 - At least they are fast to do so. Not fast enough for DBZ ship that can zoom zoom to you tho.
 -This also made them somewhat incompatible with other vanilla ship, cuz they are too fast, they always leave your slower ship behind. Need a lot of baby-sitting. Another point in IJN lmao trait.

3. Carrier is stupid. The fact that the Super carrier can recall the strike fleet made it one of the most stupid, but fun to play, ship. You can essesentially, strike, call the bomber back before it get shredded on the way out, strike again cuz the last strike already sarturate enemy ship shield.
 -I don't think the AI capable of doing that, not that i dared to let them control the most important ship in the fleet.
 -Some of the Carrier ship does tent to do stupid *** and waste the smallcraft. Best just to have them on defensive and as interceptor.

4. The DP is a bit low, i think. Later in game, every UAF bounty are FILLED with BC, smol BB and CV, not to mention a bunch of CA, CL and numerous DD, Frigate. Outnumber a 250 point fleet almost 2 to 1.
 -One time a 350k bounty have like 4 Reisen, 4 BC (Lilliru?), 3 CV and a bunch of smoler ship. That was a nightmare fight. They can't even deploy all of their ship, and come in 2 wave.

5. While the weaponries doesn't depend on HE spamming, lmao, they did what they intended to do. SHield sarturate and CV finished the job.

Conclusion: The design philosophy is very solid, with a clear doctrine to follow. Some might say it is OP, or unbalance, but tbh after watching a few vid from starsector, i can say they are only OP because the player are the one building/ controlling it, which can made any ship OP tbh. AI build/ control ship doesn't understand the concept of kiting with Capital ship very well.

Ps: A small experiment in the simulator against same caliber UAF ship, with both have no captain skill/ ST mods quickly, standard/ default build and only AI control. UAF ship doesn't fare very well against other faction ship. It either end in a stalemate cuz they are very quick in running away, or made a small mistake and get dunked on.

They also get countered hard by Beam focused build.

Ps: Ps: I also forgot this. But i choose the Junyo over the Atlas anyday of the week. 8 burn max with Aug Drive field? Get that *** out of the fleet, im here for the speed. 20 Burn ftw.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 04:19:56 AM by Aevita »

Omega_DarkPotato

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 20, 2022, 04:54:35 AM »

Well after two (somewhat finished) runs with this mod - I like it! A lot!
Both going up against em when I was playing as Scalartech, and now playing for them. as the Queen's personal hitman

Since I was playing 0.70 I didn't encounter the purcellyra nerf - and although quad minirests + 2 large missile mounts sounds interesting I think it'd be great if there was a variant (november-class maybe??) that was the OG version, since nothing's really been quite as fun as dropping an opening salvo of 60 Tartarus missiles on the enemy from quad tartarus LRM mounts. It's so cheesy and definitely fulfills the power fantasy of turning a single ship into a fleetkiller.

Also my god I never knew that I needed "EVERYTHING IS FLAK NOW ENJOY FLAK ALL YOU HAVE IS FLAK" for a PD doctrine, the big guns slap, the missiles slap, good mod, foxgirls
I live for ship-to-ship combat

Ryxsen1421

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #369 on: September 20, 2022, 05:29:54 AM »

Disclaimer: I don't know much about balance, and i haven't spent like 2000h on this game to know everything in and out. (Most of my build are either random or self improvise.)

To be fair, you understood what the UAF is all about.  So kudos to you fellow man of culture since we both played World of Warships. The UAF not only have IJN in their designs. We also have major USN, British Navy, Soviet Navy and German Navy doctrines in the mix as well but its mostly hybrid of WW2 and modern USN doctrine since we're very heavy fighter and ballistic focused faction.

So yeah, its clearly overpowered on player's hand whos unrestricted by lore or aesthetics but I don't care about that, everyone have their own playstyle and I'd say let them have fun especially in this wonderful single player game.  I find it acceptable that we have our own mixture of ups and downs as well.  Balance is merely subjective depending people's point of view, it's obvious we'll never be able to impress anyone and I quite frankly - don't want to bother with it because we're trying to do our own thing. All I care is turning the mod into a VN novel with playable ships and characters and make it fun to play as in their own setting. That's all that matters in my eyes.

Psyentific

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 20, 2022, 05:34:03 AM »

I think I like the new Purcellyra more than the old. Two Semibreves is still more than enough and the built-in missiles are more flavorful.

Aevita

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 20, 2022, 05:55:46 AM »

All I care is turning the mod into a VN novel with playable ships and characters and make it fun to play as in their own setting. That's all that matters in my eyes.

The only thing you should avoid is brain dead gameplay, too strong no think type. As long as the mechanic and playstyle of the faction require some level of thinking and rewarding for daring build/play, it will be fun to play as/ against.

As i quote a saying : "The only true balance you will find in gaming, is chess. And that's a pvp game." - My friend.

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 20, 2022, 06:01:27 AM »

So yeah, its clearly overpowered on player's hand whos unrestricted by lore or aesthetics but I don't care about that, everyone have their own playstyle and I'd say let them have fun especially in this wonderful single player game.  I find it acceptable that we have our own mixture of ups and downs as well.  Balance is merely subjective depending people's point of view, it's obvious we'll never be able to impress anyone and I quite frankly - don't want to bother with it because we're trying to do our own thing. All I care is turning the mod into a VN novel with playable ships and characters and make it fun to play as in their own setting. That's all that matters in my eyes.

Yeah, I don't get why people are calling this mod OP.  The primary thing is the design is very consistent and easy to use, not intentionally hobbled like vanilla.

I mean, you can say it's OP because nearly all the ships have PD mounts that work, but then I'm just going to think your sense of design has problems.

Gabloc

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 20, 2022, 06:03:35 AM »

This mod reminds me of Shadowyards, which also features eye-pleasing aesthetic designs and fighter-focused fleet doctrines. I enjoyed the run, especially the stories; my only compliant is that some of the capitals(ex. Rillaru, Reisen) are way too strong and way too fast for their DP, kind of ruining the fun in the late game. 

eamax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 20, 2022, 07:05:35 AM »

When you put several other mods the UAF doesn't look like OP at all, I'm playing with it and many other mods ... it's not easy as many here say.

Several fights even with pirates, yes my pirates are mod, I need to be very careful.
There are factions like Hive that I can't kill a single ship with my UAF fleet. I tried several times.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 78