Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Do you bother with survey/bounty/derelict missions in 0.8.1a?

Yes
- 21 (84%)
No
- 4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Hyperspace storms ruining exploration?  (Read 4092 times)

Vigal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Hyperspace storms ruining exploration?
« on: June 15, 2017, 05:21:47 PM »

This last update has really killed exploration for me the combination of lower payout and that in 0.8.1a hyperspace storms
have massively increase your supplies and fuel consumption either through their direct CR reduction or having to fly round
huge banks of storms. After flying round or through all the storms you then have to fight whats waiting at the other end and
then fly back round/through all the storms and by the time you get back any profit you would have made you end up spending
on supplies and fuel.

Currently its utterly unprofitable and tedious to go after survey and derelict missions right now. I get that distant exploration
shouldn't be easy but this could be solved by beefing up the derelicts to give more of a threat like the remnant are.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
Re: Hyperspace storms ruining exploration?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 05:30:07 PM »

idk how you're playing but I'm making like a 60 percent profit margin on exploration runs under TRIPLE supply and fuel consumption. Are you dragging an onslaught off to the outer reaches or something?

Also, not sure what you mean by fighting what's on the other end, you realize you don't have to fight the probe/survey ship/mothership, right? If you're commanding a small exploration fleet, stealth is your best option against hostiles, get sensor 2 and use go dark liberally
mmm.... tartiflette

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 05:41:39 PM »

Interesting.
I'm using 2 Astrals and a dozen of other carriers along with 2 Atlas and a Prometheus, still making profit exploring.
The point there is don't just get the target and come back immediately. Either do multiple explore mission of same direction at a time, or explore all other systems on way back, or do both.
As patch note said, the shieldless defence ai fleet will grow as you kill more, which are excellent fuel and supply givers and can be easily picked up with a Tempest or two

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 05:47:42 PM »

Yeah, I found that I eventually outgrew Survey/Derelict missions as it just wasn't profitable to take my ever growing fleet out that far. At that point I swapped to the much closer Bounty fleets. If you wanna keep doing distant exploration type missions then you really need to be mindful of your supply/fuel consumption rates, which basically means you need to keep your fleet on the small side of things. Be sure to survey any Terran and Volcanic worlds you come across—they gave a high chance of being worth a Class IV or V Survey Data.

As for storms, well, Alex recently halved the rate that they spawn and I find them more or less reasonable at the moment. Sometimes they pop up more than I'd like but usually I can dodge'em without going too far out of my way.

Wapno

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 05:51:31 PM »

As patch note said, the shieldless defence ai fleet will grow as you kill more, which are excellent fuel and supply givers and can be easily picked up with a Tempest or two
Honestly, they give you enough supplies that I just prefer giving myself a luxury of going to town on them with a couple of frigs or even a cruiser to make it faster. Fun first.

I got to admit, storms became a little bit more annoying, but the change is understandable. You are not supposed to be flying through them, after all. It makes life a little bit easier to use free look (right mouse button) and pan the view a little bit ahead, so you can dodge what's ahead of you.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 05:56:40 PM by Wapno »

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 08:24:14 PM »

Yeah, I found that I eventually outgrew Survey/Derelict missions as it just wasn't profitable to take my ever growing fleet out that far. At that point I swapped to the much closer Bounty fleets. If you wanna keep doing distant exploration type missions then you really need to be mindful of your supply/fuel consumption rates, which basically means you need to keep your fleet on the small side of things. Be sure to survey any Terran and Volcanic worlds you come across—they gave a high chance of being worth a Class IV or V Survey Data.

this is true, usually my progression as an explorer involves doing missions with a small fleet, transition into doing missions and picking up planetary surveys with a medium fleet, then going 2-ping station hunting. the early missions (especially if you do a little dillydallying on the way to and fro) gives you a lot of data as to where the 2 ping stations are and where the good planets to survey are
mmm.... tartiflette

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 08:36:04 PM »

It helps to put solar shielding on your support ships,  if you decide to take the risky short distance route through deep hyperspace. helps with other hazards too.

Generally the missions are there as a way to get you started on an expedition, take a mission to find a derelict around an inactive gate, and you will certainly find more!

CapnHector

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 08:47:39 PM »

It's so annoying that my TriTach brand navigation system can't be set to avoid visible storms or to predict orbits and find the actual shortest route in the year 10,000 or so, when smartphone apps can do it in 2017 without having even gamma level intelligence. Doing it manually is by far the most boring and repetitive part of the game. Good thing you can still mostly ignore storms if you just bring a few extra supplies.
5 ships vs 5 Ordos: Executor · Invictus · Paragon · Astral · Legion · Onslaught · Odyssey | Video LibraryHiruma Kai's Challenge

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 09:47:10 PM »

Plot twist: Gamma level AI cores are just iPhones in fancy cases.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 08:56:10 AM »

If nothing else changes, storms need to be much more visible.  Sometimes, they are either too subtle or obscured by darker clouds like classic pit traps designed to damage or kill foolish adventures in various RPGs, and fleet can get caught without enough warning.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 11:13:18 AM »

If nothing else changes, storms need to be much more visible.  Sometimes, they are either too subtle or obscured by darker clouds like classic pit traps designed to damage or kill foolish adventures in various RPGs, and fleet can get caught without enough warning.
And the boundaries of both your fleet and the storm need to be made more clear or the penalties need to be on a curve.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

SierraTangoDelta

• Commander
  • Who could it be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 02:45:39 PM »

The only issue I really have with hyperspace storms is how punishing they are for even touching them with the edge of your fleet. You lose like 100+ supplies in a large fleet just from brushing up against one. If they had clearer boundaries it would be nice.