Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hyper Velocity Cannon  (Read 8399 times)

Death_Silence_66

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Hyper Velocity Cannon
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 08:55:34 PM »

See I dont mind the needler and I actually think its a fair weapon but the HVC gets the best of all worlds and when you them them usually the enemy has like a fleet of ships with them and they just flood the screen with the bullets. Completely unfair.
But it doesn't have the best of all worlds. Its OP expensive and low DPS. It's damage vs a well armored target is around 50 and the EMP damage is negligible.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 09:12:49 PM »

The EMP isn't negligible; it's 400, the same as the Ion Cannon. It just doesn't arc.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 11:22:31 PM »

When you get a couple of them stacked the EMP can make a difference, but on a single gun its not much. A single ion cannon shot every 2 seconds doesn't do much.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 05:32:56 AM »

I've always preferred using heavy autocannons over the harder to acquire HVC.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 06:30:32 AM »

I like Light Needler to compliment long range beams, especially on a Sunder.  It is the only way to make beam configurations work for some ship - kinetics to put hard flux on shield, beams to hit armor (or penetrate shields in case of Ion Beam or Tachyon Lance).

Althaea

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 09:31:21 AM »

When you get a couple of them stacked the EMP can make a difference, but on a single gun its not much. A single ion cannon shot every 2 seconds doesn't do much.

The big advantage compared with an ion cannon is that the ion cannons get completely negated by shields. In this sense the HVD is useful under most circumstances, so I often use it for that purpose, if I can't get my hands on some modded kinetic+emp gun, DME and GKS has a few, IIRC, which are slanted more towards damage with some minor EMP.

Not very good for killing things in a hurry, though. And having a Wolf /w Ion Pulser (or a Tempest) or a carrier with Claws or Thunders in your fleet is more efficient for countering shields and inflicting EMP. If you have either, having a HVD on your ship is more insurance than anything else.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 09:38:18 AM »

Back when you could get way more extra OP from skills, I used to run a bunch of Enforcers with 2x Dual Flak, 1 H Mauler and then 2x HVD! What a combo that was—especially with the old Combat skills!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2017, 09:48:30 AM »

It is still a good configuration for Enforcers, but risky to use since Enforcers are fragile when they use shields.  Enforcers are suitable mostly as disposable grunts today - do not mount weapons you cannot afford to lose on them.  Unfortunately, Enforcers almost need the long-range stuff to stand up to things like new and improved Hammerhead.

I often reserve HVD and Maulers for cruisers and capitals.  Destoyers get stuck with Arbalests and Heavy Mortars (or Pulse Laser and Light AC in case of Medusa).
Pages: 1 [2]