Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NULL crash middle of the game for no reason  (Read 2835 times)

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
NULL crash middle of the game for no reason
« on: June 11, 2017, 07:49:47 PM »

1828284 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at sound.OooO.Ö00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ooOO.return.õ00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ooOO.return.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ooOO.I.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
1828483 [Thread-10] INFO  sound.oo0O  - Creating streaming player for music with id [Blackrock.ogg]
1828483 [Thread-10] INFO  sound.OooO  - Playing music with id [Blackrock.ogg]

mods: nexerelin
omnifac
neutrino
diableavionics
toreupplenty
blackrock
unknown skies
graphicslib
lazylib
templars
imperium
ships/weapons pack
console commands
save transfer

memory alocation 2g/4g

Java version: 1.7.0_79 (64-bit)

resolution 5040x1050, 60Hz, 32bpp
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 07:52:09 PM by Mealstrom »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: NULL crash middle of the game for no reason
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 07:56:38 PM »

Looks like it's music filter related (such as what happens when you're travelling through a nebula) but it's hard to say if it's caused by a mod of is a vanilla issue. Fixed up the crash, in any case.

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 12:39:47 PM »

alright cool. is it possible that blackrock is the cause? and if so is there any way to disable the music? Because by the looks of it its very likely its caused by it...

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 07:53:40 PM »

btw Alex, the save memory leak issue is still present and the only way to fix it is save transfer... just so you know. You really should fix this problem for good instead of adding more features as it makes the problem just worst it seems.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 08:04:55 PM »

If you turn the music volume to 0, that should stop music playback.

btw Alex, the save memory leak issue is still present and the only way to fix it is save transfer... just so you know. You really should fix this problem for good instead of adding more features as it makes the problem just worst it seems.

Can you be a bit more specific? There's no one specific "save memory leak" issue, even if the symptoms can be similar sometimes, so a complete description of what happens is really necessary for me to get some idea of what you mean.

It sounds like a savefile gets to a point where a save-related issue happens consistently, even after restarting the application and reloading the save. If that's the case, this would be an entirely different sort of issue. Is that the case? If so: could I get a copy of that save, a description of the problem, and steps to reproduce? That would be very helpful in tracking down whatever the issue is and what's causing it. Also, your vmparams settings would be good to have.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 08:15:55 PM »

Oh! Just noticed in the OP, your memory allocation is 2g/4g. That's generally speaking a bad idea; I'd recommend 4g/4g. Having a lower first value can in fact lead to occasional crashes when memory use spikes, such as during saving.

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 10:33:37 AM »

alright cool to know! the real problem is its 100% replicatable... all you have to do is install the mods i have and play for a certain time and after a few hours it will be impossible to save and you can see that it gradually takes more and more time to save the game... you should implement save transfer into the main game, like it fixes the whole saving issue and saves everything. The only issue know is possible crashes i havent encountered yet but generally speaking save transfer is better than the vanilla saving system. It works 100% of the time and would allow players who have similar issues to have a temporary fix until you optimize the whole game. I don't understand how you havent seen this issue as its pretty easy to spot ingame. Maybe its drivers or some tiny thing I have no way of fixing but all i know for sure is if you implemented save transfer into the game and made a UI system for it it would work and would be clean. It litterally saves everything you need and nothing more which makes it great :D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 11:28:34 AM »

Well, at this point you're the only person reporting this specific issue, at least that I'm aware of. Given that, it seems likely due to the combination of mods you're using. If you have a save from just before it stops being able to save, I'd be happy to take a quick look at it.