Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: (Un)Official Starsector Mascot Ship(s?)  (Read 18214 times)

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
(Un)Official Starsector Mascot Ship(s?)
« on: June 06, 2017, 12:31:54 PM »

Many other games have that mascot character/unit/ship/mecha, so I was wondering what the community consensus would be on a representative ship.
Possible candidates from what I've seen:
  • Hound
  • Sunder
  • Onslaught
  • Paragon
What's your opinion?
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: (Un)Official Starsector Mascot Ship(s?)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 12:43:14 PM »

Hound.
With a hat.
On a more serious tone, either Hammerhead or Onslaught. I can't think of any other clear enough candidates.

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 01:17:51 PM »

The conquest, not only is it the picture google has when you search "starsector" it is also alex's twitter avatar.

Other than that, The apogee is certainly up there. one of the most recognizable ships, and it is on the home page.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 01:21:32 PM »

One of my personal faves is the hound.

And the wolf.

Definitely onslaught and conquest are in the running.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 01:29:48 PM »

The Hound is clearly the mascot.  ...Which doesn't mean it's a ship I ever want to use, mind you!  But it's clearly the mascot.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 01:37:09 PM »

I always associated the game with the hammerhead... ISS Black Star, in particular.

One of my personal faves is the hound.

mmm.... tartiflette

tinsoldier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 01:37:17 PM »

The conquest, not only is it the picture google has when you search "starsector" it is also alex's twitter avatar.

Other than that, The apogee is certainly up there. one of the most recognizable ships, and it is on the home page.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 01:44:08 PM »

I'd also vote Hound, it's the ship that best encapsulates the themes and feelings that Starsector is trying to evoke. Adventure, making do, struggling against overwhelming odds, suspending the decay, combat&trade, it's all there. It's a real shame that it became kind of a joke in actual performance, it used to be pretty good. I wish we could find a new cool niche or job for it, other than "cannon fodder" and "freighter, if you got nothing better at hand".

Also, it has the best art:
Spoiler
[close]

Place two are shared by the Hammerhead and the Onslaught, in my mind.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 01:48:26 PM »

Either Hammerhead or Onslaught.  Hammerhead for being the tutorial ship and ISS Black Star, and for being the Mario ship of destroyers.  Onslaught because it is the Shambler (from Quake) of Starsector, the signature ship of the Hegemony.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 01:49:53 PM »

I always associated the game with the hammerhead... ISS Black Star, in particular.

Yeah! I still remember the ridiculous early loadouts, too.  :)

I definitely had to change to match after saying that.  :p

Also, it has the best art:
Agreed.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 01:52:55 PM »

The Hound looks like an appropriate indeed choice for a beginner/starting ship sort of iconic thing.
Personally I'd vote for Hammerhead as I've never really used Onslaught, Conquest or Apogee as they are too large and too slow, even if when modded to move fast their size alone is not entirely my preference, too many stuff to bump into or get stuck into so the art of dodging and flying goes out the window airlock. I only stick to a rare few frigates, a couple of Destroyers and a few from Cruiser category kinds of ships.

Speaking from my own personal point of view, opinion and experience of course.
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 01:56:57 PM »

Huh, no mention of the Eagle, eh?

I'd say Onslaught—it's on the SS installer to boot.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 02:04:20 PM »

Huh, no mention of the Eagle, eh?
The problem with cruisers is that there are contestants (Dominator or Eagle?) and with frigates that, besides Hound (which is mostly champion because of nostalgia), don't have any strong contender we're left with destroyers and capitals which both have clear "winners".
That aside, I actually wanted to mention Eagle, but I though Onslaught and Hammerhead are "stronger" contestants.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 02:12:56 PM »

Hound, Hammerhead, or Onslaught in my book. The Conquest is unique but it just isn't ubiquitous enough in-game to warrant it. The other three are everywhere.

The Onslaught has a "dirty/old" vibe to it that matches the state of the sector and its brutalistic design evokes a sense of uncompromising power and cruelty. It fits the theme of the Hegemony to a "T," though I don't know if it encapsulates the game as a whole. I'm kind of with Gothars with the Hound: you're a really small fish in a really big ocean.

Re: the Eagle

Unfortunately, anything that is a flying wedge is immediately identified with or compared to a Star Destroyer. I think it's a sleek ship but it doesn't stand out visually like some of the others mentioned.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 02:18:40 PM »

Hound, Hammerhead, or Onslaught in my book. The Conquest is unique but it just isn't ubiquitous enough in-game to warrant it. The other three are everywhere.

The Onslaught has a "dirty/old" vibe to it that matches the state of the sector and its brutalistic design evokes a sense of uncompromising power and cruelty. It fits the theme of the Hegemony to a "T," though I don't know if it encapsulates the game as a whole. I'm kind of with Gothars with the Hound: you're a really small fish in a really big ocean.
If you want to impress people, you got to have a heavy metal war machine that can kill everyone and fit in with monster trucks, guns, and hard rock concerts.  Onslaught does that.

Onslaught also has Burn Drive.  You got to have flames, big flames.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4