Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Anyone with 32-bit Windows able to take a look at something for me?  (Read 6175 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

(Not actually sure where to put this thread, but, eh.)

Since downloading java has gotten a bit tougher due to Oracle doing... things, going to ship both 32 and 64 bit with the Windows version, and have the installer figure out which one to use, along with an alternate vmparams, so that it would (hopefully) work out of the box.

Could someone with access to 32-bit Windows give this installer a whirl and let me know if the game runs for them after it's installed?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/fractalsoftworks/preview/starsector_install-0.8.1a-32bitTest.exe

I'd really appreciate it!

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone with 32-bit Windows able to take a look at something for me?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 07:20:03 PM »

Would a test in 32-bit wine help?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 07:24:04 PM »

It would be interesting, at the very least! If it works, that would be great news. If it doesn't, it'd be uncertain where the problem is - i.e. something wine-specific or the installer being legitimately borked.

The way to tell it works, btw, is 1) the game actually running, and 2) (to verify, just in case) vmparams having memory allocation at 1300m. If you don't mind giving it a go, that'd be great.

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 08:32:15 PM »

Java itself doesn't run in a blank wrapper, but the installer works perfectly in both wine versions I tested it on. The 32bit JRE installs and the vmparams sets allocation to 1300m. However, starsector.bat still has -Xms1536m -Xmx1536m.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 08:38:21 PM »

Ohh, nice catch! Made a note about that. Thank you for giving it a go - if the 32-bit jre installs, then the part of the installer I was concerned about - properly detecting a 32-bit system - is indeed working.

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 09:08:06 PM »

32-bit Player here.

It just Out of Memory errors on me.
Tried installing it in another directory. OoM error.
Uninstalled 0.8 Starsector then installed 0.8.1. OoM error.
Resized campaign background (the .jpeg files) to 25% of current size. OoM error.
Resized campaign background to 25% of current size AND run without sound. Runs (or at least enters the main menu, haven't tried gameplay)

Did system requirements shoot up from 0.8 to 0.8.1, or is this because of the transition from 32-bit to 64-bit? I didn't have much problems with OoM errors before (as long as I didn't load up on too much mods) with 0.8.

For reference, running Windows 7 32-bit, 2GB RAM, Intel i5 2nd Gen. on a laptop.

"On average, a human has one breast and one testicle"
- Vsauce, Michael here

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 09:32:58 PM »

I can't play in Starsector now but I will tell about what was earlier.

If to use Java 8-32bit instead of Java 7-32bit. Error "Out of memory" won't be, even if to use several modifications. Java 8 uses memory more effectively and it is very noticeable. But here speak Java 8 it is unstable. For at me it is stable and no problems existed. 2 years there are no problems on 3 different computers.

Also if to use integrated Intel video card that it significantly reduces efficiency of use of memory.

At Java 7 with 1G of memory game is impossible in principle. Early or late a game to reach a memory limit.

And between Java 7 32bit and 64bit there is an essential difference in productivity. And it doesn't depend on memory size.. Weak PC in principle can't use Java 7-64bit because of low FPS.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 09:36:58 PM by DrakonST »
I a Russian. And i communicate with the help of Promt Translate. And I am a color-blind person.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 09:36:29 PM »

32-bit Player here.

It just Out of Memory errors on me.
Tried installing it in another directory. OoM error.
Uninstalled 0.8 Starsector then installed 0.8.1. OoM error.
Resized campaign background (the .jpeg files) to 25% of current size. OoM error.
Resized campaign background to 25% of current size AND run without sound. Runs (or at least enters the main menu, haven't tried gameplay)

Did system requirements shoot up from 0.8 to 0.8.1, or is this because of the transition from 32-bit to 64-bit? I didn't have much problems with OoM errors before (as long as I didn't load up on too much mods) with 0.8.

For reference, running Windows 7 32-bit, 2GB RAM, Intel i5 2nd Gen. on a laptop.

Ah - probably because of the low RAM. If you reduce the memory allocation in vmparams from 1300 to 1024, it should work. Thank you for giving it a shot!

(I did increase memory allocation for the 32-bit version to 1300 - about the most it can do - but in retrospect that's not a good idea as those are the very machines most likely to have too little RAM, also. Reverted it back to 1024 for 32-bit installs.)

If to use Java 8-32bit instead of Java 7-32bit. Error "Out of memory" won't be, even if to use several modifications. Java 8 uses memory more effectively and it is very noticeable. But here speak Java 8 it is unstable. For at me it is stable and no problems existed. 2 years there are no problems.

That's good that it works for you, but it *can and does* cause problems for other people. Because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone. Java 7 is much much more reliable as far as that goes - it causes very few problems compared to Java 8.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 09:38:19 PM by Alex »

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 09:42:46 PM »

That's good that it works for you, but it *can and does* cause problems for other people. Because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone. Java 7 is much much more reliable as far as that goes - it causes very few problems compared to Java 8.

And about what errors people reported?
I a Russian. And i communicate with the help of Promt Translate. And I am a color-blind person.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 09:49:48 PM »

Many OOM errors on startup that don't happen with 7 (either 32 or 64 bit, for reasons of how they handle memory allocation), actual hard JVM crashes at random times during play (not normal exceptions, but a crash in jvm natives), and I forget exactly what else. It was causing a lot of problems, as measured by the number of bug reports and support emails.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 12:44:03 AM »

Many OOM errors on startup that don't happen with 7 (either 32 or 64 bit, for reasons of how they handle memory allocation), actual hard JVM crashes at random times during play (not normal exceptions, but a crash in jvm natives), and I forget exactly what else. It was causing a lot of problems, as measured by the number of bug reports and support emails.
Stuttering and "micro freezes" I also remember from when you had java 8
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 04:57:00 AM »

I'm also on a 32-bit Win7 machine, and trying it now...

No OOM error, but I'm also running on one of the last 32-bit machines, and have 3GB of RAM installed.

Need anything specific tested?

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 05:49:00 AM »

Launched and can play missions without apparent issues. (Didn't bother turning off dev mode)
32-bit Win7 with 8 GB ram installed (4 usable).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 08:47:39 AM »

Thank you both for giving it a go!

Need anything specific tested?

Nope - just it installing and running properly is what I wanted to make sure of.