Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Solar Shielding Bug?  (Read 1530 times)

Hussar

• Captain
    • View Profile
Solar Shielding Bug?
« on: May 29, 2017, 07:07:48 PM »

To my understanding, solar shielding mod is to reduce the hefty toll we take upon flying into a solar flare or star corona, as well as when we get into a storm in hyperspace. The reduction is supposed to be a hefty 75%, so I thought I'd give it a go as I have reached a end-game fleet and after long time returned to my home station with dozens of rare weapons and new hullmods unlocked. So, I've started dabbling in the refit screen. And since my transports are unlikely to have to ever ran away again - I mounted a solar shielding on all of them. 8 destroyer sized combat transports (with hardened subsystems and automated repais), 3 medium tankers (UI +Insulated Engines) and 2 cruiser sized transports (HS+UI+IE). In case of all transports I have dropped hardened subsystems and replaced it with solar shielding (they got good peak time anyway if need be).

Long story short. I have proceeded to test it on the nearest star. What was my surprise to notice the supply drain to be HIGHER than before. I have even reloaded back to save prior to adding solar shielding on 13/30 of my ships. Without it I was taking ~164 supply/sec - after installing I had been drained for a hefty 175 supply/sec.

Unless there's something I don't understand, I would expect a supply drain to be less? Or maybe things like automated repairs on 8 of my combat transports is to blame for that? I'm just confused and this really doesn't seem to work as it should/is advertised on the label.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Shielding Bug?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 07:24:04 PM »

You're losing less CR with solar shielding on, so it would take less time (and less supplies) to repair the damage - since there's less of it - but repairs would cost the same per-day cost while they were being carried out.

The higher supply consumption is due to the faster CR recovery from Automated Repair Unit - it's faster, but it costs the same amount of supplies total, so the per-day rate goes up.

Hussar

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Shielding Bug?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 07:39:07 PM »

Indeed, but here's a plot twist. It's still higher, 166 supplies/sec without ARU on my combat cargo ships.

Not to mention this still seems wrong. Logic says that if before with ARU's (on many ships as I have really discovered it's value this patch when my last combat cargo ship had managed to successfully break off after taking a huge hit that left the ship dead in the 'water' with just 10% health right on the border) was taking X supplies, having almost half of the fleet with SS (and still with ARU) shouldn't increase the supply cost but decrease it still.

Edit: Nevermind. I know why it was "still" higher after removal of solar shieldings. But yes, ARU's still work strangely in combination with solar shielding.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 07:53:27 PM by Hussar »