Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Ship Art Contest  (Read 4240 times)

Jay2Jay

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Ship Art Contest
« on: May 27, 2017, 03:31:41 PM »

So I was thinking it could be fun to set up an art contest of sorts. A theme would be chosen and everyone would have lets say, a week or so to enter their design and at the end of that week a poll could be set up and people could vote on the winner.

Example

Theme: Art Deco
Ship Size: Capital
Weapon Mounts: Yes
Vanilla Balanced (Could 'fit in' with the vanilla game in art style and size): Yes

Final Submission Date (Date after which submissions are no longer accepted): June 4th, 2017
Poll Open date: June 5th, 2017
Poll Close date: June 12th, 2017

More rules and regulations could be created if the contest required it, but I really think it would be properly fun!

I suppose it could also be a monthly thing, and the winner could get a special banner to put in their sig, that could be neat.

Anyway, tell me what you guys think.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." ~Ghengis Khan

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Art Contest
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 03:39:09 PM »

You'll have better luck if you offer genuine prizes.

I'd be interested to see who goes for this, but I won't be participating.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 02:07:44 AM »

I would definitely participate in that kind of contest. I'd prefer if there's no ship size requirement though, i expect way too many capital ships requests, which is an awful lot of work and would in the end lower the overall quality of the sprites i think.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 02:20:35 AM »

I've been thinking about something similar with a few different tweaks:

Someone gives an evocative ship name (or ship class, but personally I would go for a specific name), some general constraints or not, and everyone has to come up with a ship and a short story that justify the same. Sprites would be a plus but not required.

For example say the name is "Dirty Penny" and the ship has to be based on a civilian hull.

One version could be a Buffalo used as a Q-ship that has seen its cargo filled with broadside HMGs meant to take out pirates ships preparing to board. It is said the the ship requires many weapons because they are just bad knock off, so cheap that each round only cost a penny. Hence the name

Another version could be a Nebula reconverted into a mobile brothel that follows Hegemony military operations. It is known for having the decks ordered by price, with the luxurious suite on the top deck and the lower you get, the cheaper the prices and the company. The last door however has nobody in front and just requires a penny to open, but inside it's an airlock with a box of tissues...

Again sprites wouldn't exactly be required although it can be a good exercise for prospecting modders. It woldn't be a contest per se but for each round the person that set the theme tag one of the participants for the next one.

Jay2Jay

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 02:47:04 AM »

I'd prefer if there's no ship size requirement though, i expect way too many capital ships requests, which is an awful lot of work and would in the end lower the overall quality of the sprites i think.

True, but there needs to be some kind of pixel standard, dont want massive 12k x 18k pictures compared to a bunch of 8-bit sprites. Maybe just a general 'picture must be between X and Y pixels long and A and B pixels wide' kind of thing?

words

So basically a writing improv contest? My curiosity is peaked in a 'I wanna see how cringe it is' kinda way.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." ~Ghengis Khan

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 03:30:37 AM »

Someone gives an evocative ship name (or ship class, but personally I would go for a specific name), some general constraints or not, and everyone has to come up with a ship and a short story that justify the same. Sprites would be a plus but not required.

That sounds really fun! I'd be game.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 04:14:51 AM »

Sounds cool, aye, although while having "criteria" isn't a bad idea, starting out with a capital ship contest doesn't jam with me. And not just because I'm still a little wary of making capital ship sprites, kitbashed or not!

Personally I agree with Tartiflette's suggestion, or at least the general idea of it. Give the user a kicker, a starter, a bit of headcanon if you like. Give them a situation or scenario, and get them to make something that matches that. That would be the best way to do it in my opinion.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 07:21:44 AM »

I don't think there's enough of a fandom to make contests... Well, perhaps I'm wrong. I wouldn't participate, but could provide up to short stories of ship-base, mostly very vague and actually not about ships themselves.

Jay2Jay

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 05:21:51 PM »

starting out with a capital ship contest doesn't jam with me

That up there is just an example. I have an actual idea for a first contest theme, and it's destroyer/frigate sized.