Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Is it possible to be friends with Pirates? ( Vanilla )

Yes.
- 19 (76%)
No.
- 6 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Is it possible to be friends with Pirates? ( Vanilla )  (Read 15703 times)

Ryxsen1421

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Is it possible to be friends with Pirates? ( Vanilla )
« on: May 27, 2017, 08:53:07 AM »

If yes, then how? I tried my best to improve my relationships with them  but unable to do so thanks to random encounters/ambushes by them.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to be friends with Pirates? ( Vanilla )
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 09:19:03 AM »

I've never tried to do a friendly pirate run but I think Gothars and maybe a few others have. Seems like it'd be total "hard mode" trying to stay friendly with pirates.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 09:26:13 AM »

Yes, smuggle into other faction's stations to build up rep. with pirates.
Then take pirate missions to build it further.

Hussar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 10:03:50 AM »

It is.

But you have to refuse fighting them since the very start. I mean, you just don't. If they catch you, u retreat AND DO NOT DARE TO SINK any of their ships. Ever. It is actually easier to pull off if you skip the tutorial in fact (you can avoid fighting them while meeting the agent, but they really do guard tightly that jump-point).

I have tried and succeeded becoming friends with them in the past when I was playing a "smuggler" playthrough. Smuggling mainly volturnian lobsters between the systems :D
I got them to neutral, not yet on 0 but when they stop being hostile and can trade with transponder ON - it's a success. You do of course rob yourself of some of the bounties though.

What TJJ says it's true but it will become IMPOSSIBLE once u sink even one of their ships. It's easy to ruin your "relations" with them for good.

EDIT: Woops, I'm not sure but I think the first cerberus in the tutorial also counts in. In other words, you have to skip tutorial if you plan on getting friendly with pirates then.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 10:43:35 AM by Hussar »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 10:28:59 AM »

It's possible, and getting above "hostile" is not even that hard. As long as you never kill any pirates, that is. But getting them to let you buy stuff from their military market probably requires some serious mission grinding. The problem is that they never put out bounties, so the main source of rep is unavailable. And they also don't take AI cores, which would be a good alternative.

I think it would be great if fighting patrols and trade fleets while having no commission would raise your pirate rep.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Hussar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 10:42:21 AM »

I think it would be great if fighting patrols and trade fleets while having no commission would raise your pirate rep.

Same thoughts exactly.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 10:54:21 AM »

I would be nice if pirates accepted cores.  It would make rep gain easier (and repairing Vengeful relations).  Even Luddic Path take cores and you can be friends with them.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 05:59:18 AM »

yes it possible, sadly, scavengers will attack you anyway and when you defend yourself (and you have no other option) your progress resets, also there are NO benefits at all.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 05:55:43 PM »

It's quite simple.

1. Skip the tutorial.
2. Put first XP into Sensors so you get better sensor range/detection, and navigation so you can outrun people on terrain.
3. Use terrain and go dark to avoid fighting pirates.
4. Go to pirate planets and take analyze derelict missions for them. Each one gives you a lot of positive rep.
5. Soon they won't attack you on site and the rest will be easy.

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 07:59:48 PM »

In the endgame, you could sell all of your AI cores to a pirate base and instantly bring up your reputation with the pirates to cooperative. Kinda defeats the purpose of a pirate playthrough though.
"On average, a human has one breast and one testicle"
- Vsauce, Michael here

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 12:09:09 AM »

In the endgame, you could sell all of your AI cores to a pirate base and instantly bring up your reputation with the pirates to cooperative. Kinda defeats the purpose of a pirate playthrough though.

in vanilla pirates do not accept cores.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 06:53:01 PM »

Which means if you get Vengeful with pirates, you are stuck there for good.  Since all other factions take cores, cores can make Vengeful go away for non-Pirates.  I see cores primarily as friend tokens.  Yeah, they are worth a good amount of money, but guaranteed reputation gain is the best use for turning in cores.