Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: [0.91][UTILITY] Starsector FX  (Read 84556 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: [0.81a][UTILITY] Starsector FX 0.91a (and example mods!)
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2018, 11:30:26 AM »

Got the texturing issue sorted.  Still working on some minor optimizations and fixes for a few things.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 25, 2018, 10:24:55 PM »

Are there any plans to update this to 0.9-compatibility? I tried it out in .81a (after the fact of 0.9 releasing) and found much better performance. My 0.81a install eventually got very mod-heavy, with a LOT of fighters and missile in-flight during battles, so this mod helped immensely with the quick spin I took in on. (Wish I knew about it sooner during 0.81a's heyday.)

Octavus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2019, 03:27:40 PM »

Looking forward to the 0.9 version of this mod, the effects are just too great to not use

Nightf0x4tw

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2019, 04:51:53 PM »

Experienced a bug when loading into a simulation, running on Linux Mint 19.2

game version 0.9.1a (I know the mod is not made for 0.9.1a yet), but maybe this can be useful to the OP.

325758 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [data/hulls/hammerhead.ship]
325759 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [data/config/fx_mod_styles.json]
325760 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [data/hulls/hammerhead.ship]
325762 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [data/config/fx_mod_styles.json]
330037 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [fx_mod.ini]
330039 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [fx_mod.ini]
330540 [Thread-9] INFO  sound.O  - Cleaning up music with id [miscallenous_main_menu.ogg]
330744 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.AbstractMethodError: data.scripts.plugins.AAA_Thruster_FX_Plugin.processInputPreCoreControls(FLjava/util/List;)V
java.lang.AbstractMethodError: data.scripts.plugins.AAA_Thruster_FX_Plugin.processInputPreCoreControls(FLjava/util/List;)V
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.oOOO.B.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
330759 [Thread-11] INFO  sound.O  - Creating streaming player for music with id [battle_ambience_01.ogg]
330771 [Thread-11] INFO  sound.H  - Playing music with id [battle_ambience_01.ogg]

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2019, 05:15:57 PM »

https://www.nexusmods.com/starsector/mods/33?tab=description

This is the current build, with multithreading / multicore support, implementation of texture atlases, and a load of other new features.

See notes:  the example project can't be dropped straight into Vanilla; it's meant to support Rebal.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 05:19:57 PM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

Transuni

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.91][UTILITY] Starsector FX
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2019, 07:07:52 AM »

so,how to use it```` :(

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2019, 08:13:06 AM »

If you just want to see it running, install everything in the Mod Pack, LazyLib and nothing else, and test it out in a Mission.

If you want to use it for your weapons / fake engines / etc., it's available immediately through Rebal; simply use some JSON to define the properties you want; see examples of weapons effects (in the .PROJ files), trails (again, .PROJ), and engines (in the Example, see fx_mod_styles for an "engine" example).

If you want to build new code using it, read through fx_SharedLib, particularly newParticle() and fx_Trail, and read through the example project to see a practical version of production code.  Basically, it's as simple as calling newParticle() (or the variants designed to be optimized for various scenarios, like newSimpleAdditiveParticleWithUV()).

Example implementation code is in the FX_EXAMPLE project (hence, why it's named that, and why I kept it separated from Rebal). 

If the above sounds like rocket science, you may need to take a little time to understand the basics of coding.  This was designed so that people with a minimum amount of experience could use it; you don't need to know how rendering systems or MT code works.  Trust me, I made this about as easy to use as was possible.

The example code just scratches the surface of what it's possible to do with FX; basically, if it doesn't involve particle physics or direct frame-by-frame control over particles, it's possible.  Trails are somewhat simplistic, but fast; I meant to get around to explicitly supporting more features for them but other things ate my time.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 08:21:40 AM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2019, 11:35:12 PM »

New update is being uploaded tonight. 

All altered Vanilla data (sounds, graphics, .WPN / .PROJ files) has been removed from the FX_EXAMPLE project and ported over to Rebal (where I think it belongs, at this point, as it's gone quite a lot beyond, "hey, why don't I spruce up stuff while I'm here", lol).

This means FX_EXAMPLE is now essentially neutral about what mods are running on top of it, which should make it more-attractive to integrate. 

However, that means end-users need to look at Rebal's files to understand how the .PROJ / .WPN integration works, i.e., what JSON entries you can use.  I think that's less confusing overall, maybe.

The fighter_thruster_sm WPN / reference is still in FX_EXAMPLE, because all of the engine-replacers use that Decorative Weapon to do their thing.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Xevecx1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2019, 09:24:09 PM »

is there an issue with the AI package of your mod bundle? after loading it every fight i am in is like fighting super pathers just leeroy jenkins balls of  mosh pit

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 27, 2019, 10:04:44 PM »

Different combat style for sure, and it's tuned for Rebal, not Vanilla, so YMMV :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

ArnaudB

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2019, 03:38:03 AM »

One thing I am not sure about is the ship prices. Not only does it cost millions to get capitals, but they die in seemingly no time at all.

Raiding might need adjustments too. I raided a pirate with Heavy Machinery and got a twenty-two millions blueprints. Raiding for blueprints quickly overshadow every other method of making money.

The custom effects do help the game speed. It's pretty nice although it takes some time to get used to. I'd maybe like the projectiles to be a big bigger, as it's difficult to see them, especially with the larger zoom.

The AI overhaul makes a bit more skeptical. The combat runs much faster, however a lot of the AI seems suicidal and that's usually how capitals get slaughtered. Ships seemingly recklessly charge in, shields get overloaded in no time at all (even directional shields) and swarming the enemy work better than anything else, especially with the exponential ships prices (with Rebal, of course).

A final thing, maybe? I like the bigger commodity stacks, so much less hunting for supplies across entire systems.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2019, 10:35:29 AM »

I'll look at Blueprint pricing; you're right, that should probably not be quite so lucrative.

Interesting point about the sizes of the shots; I'll increase them a bit.

You shouldn't ever buy Capitals, until you're at endgame-money; they're meant to be captured or built at a Colony.  That's kind of the point, really; nobody's going to sell you a Capital.

A well-equipped endgame Capital is incredibly tough; you can make builds that will kill a lot of things on auto-pilot. 

The auto-fit ones the computer uses shouldn't be used as judgement criteria.  I've had the idea that they shouldn't get auto-equipped at all for quite some time now, so that players get to see a few Variants that are really dangerous.

I'm not sure about the AI being "suicidal" so much as more aggressive in general than Vanilla.  It's judging threats in a completely different way, and in general, it's designed to get into range and cause damage.  In Vanilla, the AI's reluctance to close tends to give the player a huge advantage; you can pick your fights and roll it up piecemeal.  In Rebal, my expectation is that players are placing their fleet elements in the tactical view so that they're not all in the scrum; carriers in the rear, assault elements up front, etc. 

The enemy isn't quite that smart yet.  Back when the very early versions of the AI was first developed (for Vacuum) it was placing fleet elements to frustrate players more via the Admiral AI, but that got broken due to various changes Alex made and I haven't fixed it again.  I might have to put that project back on my agenda; I feel like the enemy AI works quite nicely up to the point where the player's powerful enough that very little will stop them anyhow, but if Capitals are feeling "paper-thin" then obviously some changes need to be made ;)
Xeno's Mod Pack

glasswave

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2019, 04:45:52 AM »

What do I do to activate the modpack? Im kind of a starter on this area...
I have LazyLib downloaded too

glasswave

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2019, 05:41:00 AM »

What do I do to activate the modpack? Im kind of a starter on this area...
I have LazyLib downloaded too
I cant get it working because I keep crashing and getting this message
"Fatal: Weapon spec [remnant_weapon_platform1_Standard] not found!
Check starsector.log for more info."
Also, where do I check starsector.log?

TimeDiver

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2019, 06:32:27 AM »

Why doesn't this work with Tiandong Heavy Industries, when almost every other mod out there does? That is, I get an error message upon loading to that effect.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9