Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Swap position of DTC and ITU  (Read 3161 times)

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
Swap position of DTC and ITU
« on: May 28, 2017, 05:33:24 PM »

It occured me that while Dedicated Targeting Core is available from the beginning of the game, the player do not have cruiser or capital from the start. By the time they acquire one, they are likely to have acquired Integrated Targeting Unit too, so DTC(which is inferior anyways) is never used.

Suggestion:
1. Make ITU, not DTC, available from beginning. This will allow the player to actually use a range-increasing hullmod in frigate/destroyer phase.
2. Adjust the numbers so that DTC provide higher range bonus on cruiser and capital. This will give reason to use DTC.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Swap position of DTC and ITU
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 05:58:14 PM »

I did not find ITU until I after hit the level cap (and in that case, I gave up save-scumming my first Odyssey when I saw ITU in the loot.)  I recovered my first cruiser (pirate Eagle) at level somewhere between high 20s to mid 30s.  I think I recovered my first capital (Legion) a bounty or two before I found ITU.

That said, I agree DTC is obsolete after ITU is obtained.

The idea is not bad.  Personally, I like to see DTC disappear and have ITU take its place, since range hullmod is expected by the game.

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 01:41:10 AM »

Alternatively, DTC could be cruiser/capital only and ITU for frigate/destroyer only.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 06:47:32 AM »

Alternatively, DTC could be cruiser/capital only and ITU for frigate/destroyer only.
In that case, merge into one hullmod.

Hussar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 07:22:23 AM »

Or make DTC cost a few points less (as it is inferior) than ITU. So it would be a valid option for lower-tech capital ships with worse shields and flux stats. After all DTC is an older technology so it shouldn't have exactly same OP requirements if it is to stay in it's current form (which I think it totally could). That way it would be a legit option to still have a considerable range boost while shaving few points that can be used for better flux management or weapons/other hullmods. In a such form DTC would be more than valid option and for sure would present a choice.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 07:24:51 AM by Hussar »

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 10:04:08 AM »

As long as ITU is "rare," I see no issue with DTC remaining as it is. DTC is inferior but it still helps the big ships capitalize on their range advantage. Just because DTC is available from start doesn't mean it needs to be useful from start. It's simply there so that when you acquire a cruiser/capital, the hull mod is still available. If/when you do get ITU, DTC is obsolete but there have been many playthroughs where I don't find ITU until extremely late in the game. I do use DTC when ITU isn't available.

As for a slight OP cost reduction, I wouldn't be opposed but ITU is intentionally better and I wouldn't want there to a real choice between the two. If DTC was 12 OP and ITU was 15, I might forgo the slight range advantage of ITU for the extra few OP. Perhaps DTC should just get grayed out once you get ITC.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 10:20:27 AM »

What would be nice is once ITU is learned, DTC is removed from the hullmod menu, and ships in your fleet automatically upgrade from DTC to ITU.

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 04:13:03 PM »

In that case, merge into one hullmod.
ITU would still be rare, making it a late-game boost to frigates/destroyers to help them keep up with longer ranged cruisers/capitals.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 10:58:23 PM »

I think that the rationale behind DTC/ITU is that cruisers/capitals need range because they are less mobile, but DTC gives the player only the range compensation of less mobility, while ITU is intended to be the range bonus itself. ITU is supposed to be rare because its extra range is an advantage for all ships, not just cruisers and capitals.
As FooF said, DTC's advantage is availability from the beginning and only for bigger ships that typically need that range.