Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 35

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 276604 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #465 on: June 13, 2017, 08:45:39 AM »

@alguLoD: Correct & correct! Not planning to change this at the moment, as it's intentional. I don't want players to feel like they're obligated to lug around a Salvage Rig just to get the most out of common occurrences like debris fields and derelict ships. Preparing for a proper salvage expedition, on the other hand, is another matter.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 13, 2017, 10:48:36 AM »

The game should probably make that more obvious. The salvage rig description even gives outright misinformation about it: "salvage rig ... assists in ... scavenging useful material from wreckage and debris fields". And the gantry hulmod description also doesn't state the real use case, it only becomes obvious after you experienced for yourself that nothing inside the core worlds ever has a difficulty rating over 0% (and then put the pieces together).

BTW, I'd love an answer to the question I posted here:    
Is there any reason why deployment points are not re-distributed as the power balance shifts during battle? I continue to get in awkward situations because I can't reinforce my worn fleet during battle, and the only way around seems to be to increase battle size (which is bad for performance).

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 10:57:04 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 13, 2017, 10:55:25 AM »

@alguLoD: Correct & correct! Not planning to change this at the moment, as it's intentional. I don't want players to feel like they're obligated to lug around a Salvage Rig just to get the most out of common occurrences like debris fields and derelict ships. Preparing for a proper salvage expedition, on the other hand, is another matter.
So you mean I've been dragging those 2 rigs my whole game and it was placebo the whole time? D:
I find it funny now that there even was a debate, rigs vs shepherds, as it was meaningless mostly.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 13, 2017, 11:21:48 AM »

Yes.  Salvage Rigs are completely useless if you have no points in Salvaging.  As Gothars says, this is not obvious (unless you read everything carefully, maybe), and I lugged salvage ships for naught at first.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:27:08 AM by Megas »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 13, 2017, 11:49:20 AM »

The game should probably make that more obvious. The salvage rig description even gives outright misinformation about it: "salvage rig ... assists in ... scavenging useful material from wreckage and debris fields". And the gantry hulmod description also doesn't state the real use case, it only becomes obvious after you experienced for yourself that nothing inside the core worlds ever has a difficulty rating over 0% (and then put the pieces together).

Hmm, yeah, I'll have to take a look at that. I think that was written before the mechanics got completely settled.

BTW, I'd love an answer to the question I posted here:    
Is there any reason why deployment points are not re-distributed as the power balance shifts during battle? I continue to get in awkward situations because I can't reinforce my worn fleet during battle, and the only way around seems to be to increase battle size (which is bad for performance).

Ah, missed that entirely somehow - posted a reply there.

So you mean I've been dragging those 2 rigs my whole game and it was placebo the whole time? D:
I find it funny now that there even was a debate, rigs vs shepherds, as it was meaningless mostly.

The placebo effect is not to be underrated.

Berty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 14, 2017, 04:18:23 AM »

So, just to confirm; if one does have the Salvage skill and is getting +10% salvage from a battle, would the salvage rig increase the loot gained or would it just be the +10% from the skill?

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 14, 2017, 04:22:29 AM »

So, just to confirm; if one does have the Salvage skill and is getting +10% salvage from a battle, would the salvage rig increase the loot gained or would it just be the +10% from the skill?
It would just be the 10% from the skill. The 10% global salvage found bonus does not increase the salvage rating of anything, and the salvage rig only gives a bonus up to the salvage rating of the thing you're salvaging.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 14, 2017, 08:29:35 AM »

Right. And to be explicit about it, the Salvage Rig has no impact on post-combat salvage in any case.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 14, 2017, 05:37:00 PM »

Anyway what is the point of yellow beacons now?
I was visiting one recently and find some Remnants that run from me (with 11 burn) and some dormant ones that I could not even engage as my rust bucket fleet have max burn 10.
I can harass them but could not engage them at all even when they got into 0 CR.
Whats going on?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 14, 2017, 08:28:45 PM »

Quick note on Warthogs: I've lowered their armor to 100. They are still overpowered for 12 OP and will ruin everything, but interceptors are marginally effective and a cruiser has a chance to beat a destroyer outfitted with them, if it has dedicated anti-fighter, non PD (flares) weapons. An Eagle with a full beam loadout for example can take them down if it focuses its entire attention. Unlike now.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 14, 2017, 10:36:04 PM »

instead of reducing Warthog durability, you could make them larger, so they become easier to hit with weapons that aren't beams or dedicated PD. their current sprite is pretty small compared to Gladius, Xyphos or Trident, and they also don't rely on a shield bubble that would have a much wider collision radius than the hull itself. i think that would also fit better with the theme of slow speed and heavy armor.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 14, 2017, 11:02:35 PM »

Just put them up to 16-18 or w/e OP—it's okay to have a powerful assault fighter wing. Let's not nerf their stats as that would make them more boring.

adimetro00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 14, 2017, 11:11:40 PM »

Hey, alex! What are you focusing on in the next patch? There's talk about outposts and establishing markets either on a planet or creating a station market. Are you going to work on that in the 0.9 update?

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 15, 2017, 12:42:33 AM »

0.9 is the MMORPG MOBA update
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 15, 2017, 02:02:06 AM »

I think we will have to wait for the respective blog posts to learn about the content of the next update :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 35