Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 35

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 276599 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8.1a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #150 on: May 28, 2017, 10:38:13 AM »

Of course the design goals are different in each case: in vanilla patrols are just there to give the player something to fight, whereas Nexerelin requires something that is actually possible to defeat in the long run.

Indeed!

Or is that already the case?

Yep.

adimetro00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 28, 2017, 05:27:21 PM »

I might be repeating the same thing but, how many weeks left before the update releases?

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 28, 2017, 05:54:39 PM »

Probs within a week.

I want to know if the Outposts patch is gonna take 6 months or longer...seems like a lot of the game's groundwork is already in place so hopefully not.

dogamusprime

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 28, 2017, 07:55:14 PM »

Asking about release times on the dev post gets the thread locked. So either make a new post or please don't ask.

Not trying to be a jerk, but it'll be here when it gets here.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 07:57:40 PM by dogamusprime »

adimetro00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 28, 2017, 08:15:15 PM »

I wanna ask you something.
why the custom rules for the mods is broken for 0.8 and how did you finally fix it?
Should be something that come out with the hotfixes

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 29, 2017, 07:30:16 AM »

I want to know if the Outposts patch is gonna take 6 months or longer...seems like a lot of the game's groundwork is already in place so hopefully not.

The groundwork does seem there but outposts might be an all-or-none kind of deal. If you allow people to establish an outpost but it doesn't have a clear function or any appreciable effect on gameplay, what's the point? I think for all the players hoping for a mini-empire or pseudo-faction of their own, outposts will have to tie-in to most, if not all, of the basic mechanics of the game: combat, surveying, economy, factions, npc interaction, etc. in a way that's rewarding/fun rather than a grind.

I'm very much looking forward to a blog post detailing Alex's vision for outposts. He's been grounded in his approach thus far and I trust he'll have a good perspective on how they should work.

zaimoni

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 29, 2017, 08:46:56 AM »

Right, outposts look fairly "large" (thinking about probable effort if I were to commit to implementing for my own game), not a point release feature.  If there were no huge technical hitches I'd guess they'd be in 0.9 .

Multiple surprises could give us a 0.11 however (game not feature complete after three more major feature sets added).  Best not to second-guess here.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 29, 2017, 10:35:04 AM »

We know so little about Alex' plans for outposts that it's hard to guess the time frame of their implementation. Will it just be a binary no outpost/outpost thing or will you be setting down buildings per hand like in an RTS? Will outposts enable you to be a player in the Sector wide trade network? Will they be able to defend themselves, so new combat scenarios are necessary? Will they enable completely new avenues of building and equipping the ships of your fleet?
And the most important question, can all their features be implemented consecutively, or are they so interconnected that it only makes sense to release them in one big update?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 29, 2017, 10:55:34 AM »

We know so little about Alex' plans for outposts that it's hard to guess the time frame of their implementation. Will it just be a binary no outpost/outpost thing or will you be setting down buildings per hand like in an RTS? Will outposts enable you to be a player in the Sector wide trade network? Will they be able to defend themselves, so new combat scenarios are necessary? Will they enable completely new avenues of building and equipping the ships of your fleet?
I'm okay with upgradeable outposts and RTS-like management, so long the player doesn't have to do everything manually - for example, I couldn't care less about AI fleets hauling cargo for me, but I'd like to have a reason to use frigates and destroyers later on, by being able to "hop" in them even if it doesn't make any sense in-universe: I'd just like to have "dynamic missions", where those missions are when your trade fleet gets ambushed (and you have to use what you have bought earlier) or the like. I think Total War has something similar.
As for outposts themselves, I'm all for complexity, I won't be satisfied with just "X-producing outpost"! Of course, within reasonable limits.
Also have I told you I'm a RTS buff? ^^
And the most important question, can all their features be implemented consecutively, or are they so interconnected that it only makes sense to release them in one big update?
Well, we have surveying (and to a lesser degree salvaging) and many people spotted their immediate compensation (for not being able to use that data) potential.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 29, 2017, 11:07:30 AM »

I would like outposts to be a place to store ships and weapons, and build more of them.  It would be nice if I can sell commodities, ships, and weapons my base produces to NPCs for a profit (as long as they do not tap into my storage reserved for my war machine).

I would also like to capture enemy markets or burn them to the ground like Remnant battlestations.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 29, 2017, 01:18:46 PM »

It'd be cool if outposts were an offline-only feature that required an internet connection and a Uplay account
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 29, 2017, 02:45:55 PM »

I think outposts are gonna feature a grid of squares or hexes and you'll drop factories/farms/mines icons into these slots. Different worlds will have different open slots or something.

David loves drawing stuff like that so all the better!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 29, 2017, 04:52:15 PM »

Oh yeah, look at those sexy tiles from him:
Spoiler
[close]
That, with exo planet terrains mixed in, would look fantastic in Sector!
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 29, 2017, 04:59:44 PM »

I think outposts are gonna feature a grid of squares or hexes and you'll drop factories/farms/mines icons into these slots. Different worlds will have different open slots or something.

David loves drawing stuff like that so all the better!

Nothing is impossible but I've yet to see any campaign feature that goes anywhere near that level of detail. I'm still going under the assumption that Combat is King™ and that outposts will be something to build up so that you have to fight/defend them. I don't expect them to be Sim City but I do believe they'll be built up over time and require varying levels of resources to upgrade/equip. As far as "seeing" the outposts, I don't expect there to be a lot of visual consideration outside of an orbital station (if they're not planetside). I think we'll have to use our imaginations for the most part, just as we do whenever we go to ports now. The difference will be that they'll be *our* ports, which is a big deal.

Hopefully we'll be able to manufacture from raw materials, import/export commodities, build ships and stations, generate fuel, etc. Hopefully it takes a lot of work to get a fully-functioning outpost up, or a series of them (because not every planet has every raw material), but the payoff is that we can become self-sufficient and perhaps operate with a surplus. At that point, you're no longer at the mercy of the factions and that's a huge, and likely necessary, step toward having end-game goals.

That's what I'd like to see, anyway. I wouldn't mind seeing little hex grids and stuff, though, but I don't expect outposts to be a tiny Civilization game. :D

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 29, 2017, 06:00:07 PM »

It'd be cool if outposts were an offline-only feature that required an internet connection and a Uplay account

Yeah, but it really needs micro-transactions to be a real feature. Otherwise, I just don't think it would be worth it.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 35