Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 35

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 276613 times)

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8.1a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2017, 08:46:04 PM »

Can we define alternate module payloads with skins? e.g. a carrier skin for the REDACTED battlestation with 6 hangar modules.

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 27, 2017, 06:26:41 AM »

Can we define alternate module payloads with skins? e.g. a carrier skin for the REDACTED battlestation with 6 hangar modules.
Yeah. All of a station's modules are defined in its .variant file, so you can have multiple layouts for the same station. Just have to make a new .variant, put it in the REDACTED faction file, and hopefully it'll spawn sometimes.

kobeathris

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 27, 2017, 07:45:27 AM »

Weird bug to report, and if it is already addressed, sorry for missing it.

When fighting Salvage fleets that go pirate (I THINK that is only when this happens) I frequently (always?) see weapon group #2, which should be autofire, start combat as manual, and I have to toggle it back to autofire.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 27, 2017, 10:42:16 AM »

One for the patch: occasionally I'll run into derelict ships or Domain probes and survey ships in asteroid fields that orbit a point so closely (we're probably talking an orbit value of 20 or less) that they just wibble-wobble around in a circle. This looks, to put it mildly, really silly. Might be good to put a minimum distance or maximum speed or both on that orbit value.

THank you, fixed that up.

Also, found a procgen system that had three planetary systems clearly of the same template (ice giant with rocky unstable world and rings):
Spoiler

Not a concern so much as funny, but it did mess with the illusion just a bit.
[close]

Hah - there's no template, this happening is entirely due to luck!

Weird bug to report, and if it is already addressed, sorry for missing it.

When fighting Salvage fleets that go pirate (I THINK that is only when this happens) I frequently (always?) see weapon group #2, which should be autofire, start combat as manual, and I have to toggle it back to autofire.

If you're playing vanilla - could you send me your save? This sounds really odd. (fractalsoftworks [at] gmail [dot] com)

kobeathris

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2017, 11:58:46 AM »

If you're playing vanilla - could you send me your save? This sounds really odd. (fractalsoftworks [at] gmail [dot] com)

When I was getting ready to send you the save, I figured out what the issue is, and it has nothing to do with the salvage fleet. Because the fleet was much larger than mine, I selected everyone and ordered them to a map corner, that turned on autopilot fort he flagship as well. As soon as auto pilot engages and I unpause, it turns off auto fire for group 2. It does this consistently whenever I turn on autopilot for the command ship. Not sure if that is intended behavior or not. If I turn on autofire for group 1 and 2, just a s a test, it turns both back off when I engage autopilot.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 27, 2017, 12:02:16 PM »

Ah, ok, that makes sense. Less than ideal, perhaps, but the expected behavior.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2017, 12:42:34 PM »

Gladius were dying left and right. 
Whenever I've used Gladius and watched them, they've got themselves into a weird kind of standoff with whatever they are attacking and end up orbiting the target, BUT facing in the direction they are moving while firing harmlessly into space as they get picked off.
It's like they are trying to turn to face what they are attacking but can't quite manage it fast enough and so end up as distractions rather than threats.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 27, 2017, 12:58:45 PM »

Turns out Gladius performance was not as bleak as I initially reported, but they are still sub-par (for the OP you pay for them) compared to alternatives.  Currently Gladius would be worth about 8 OP, not 12.  By comparison, I would put current Talons at 10 OP; they outperform the majority of fighter wings.  Wasps are pathetically weak.  They need all the skill help they can get to survive.  Otherwise, bigger enemy ships eat Wasps like popcorn before they do much damage.

To my surprise, Warthogs are brutally effective if you can stack lots of them.  With enough Warthogs, they murder big ships quickly.  Only bombers have a chance to kill faster, but Warthogs are more self-sufficient.  If Warthogs were fast enough to chase down frigates, they will be even better than Sparks.

With I tried to solo simulator with Astral with Warthogs, it was like playing with Paragon.  Big ships die, but frigates stalled the Astral due to outrunning Warthogs.  With Sparks, Astral killed as much as its CR held out.  Only nine combat ships were left out of the entire simulator before CR decayed to zero.  Paragon could not do so well, due to frigates kiting then swarming for the kill.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 28, 2017, 02:49:48 AM »

Maybe if the Gladius didn't dance around so much it would be worth 12 OP. They fly around their target so much they end up only firing half the time, and firing while flying backwards and having their machine gun bullets hover in place and hit nothing, the projectile's forward momentum nearly canceled out by the Gladius's backwards momentum. I notice Talons will get in close to their target and constantly fire their Vulcans; if the Gladius did that, if they would just stay in weapon range and let their flares cover for them while they unload their guns, they might be worth 12 OP. Either that or get another wing member, because they're worth about 4 OP a fighter right now.

Edit: I figured out how to get Gladii to act like Talons, mostly. They're constantly zooming in and out, fouling their shots, for two reasons; their attackrunrange is too high, and they're constantly running high on flux so they back off to dissipate. Talons have their attackrunrange set to 200, 50 range shorter than their vulcans, and have enough flux dissipation to constantly fire without running out of flux. If you set the Gladius's attackrunrange to 250 in wing_data.csv (50 range shorter than their machine guns) and give them the no_weapon_flux hullmod in gladius_fighter.variant, they behave much more aggressively.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 03:53:45 AM by ANGRYABOUTELVES »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 28, 2017, 06:45:03 AM »

@ ANGRYABOUTELVES:  I noticed the speed boost from Wing Commander 1 can do this to other fighters.  With that perk, Wasps often fly away too fast from ships and out-of-range for their lasers.  That perk is great for Warthogs and some bombers though, they need the speed.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2017, 07:50:19 AM »

As an aside:

Size of new patrols spawned patrols increases more quickly as they're defeated
I found this pretty funny, because in Nexerelin I actually had to tone patrol size scaling down, way down compared to vanilla. Once a bunch of patrols die (which can happen very quickly even without player intervention, if a star system is repeatedly targeted for invasions), high-powered markets like Sindria or even Eochu Bres can very quickly inundate the system in oversized detachments, through which an invasion fleet (or the player's, for that matter) has no chance of getting through.

Of course the design goals are different in each case: in vanilla patrols are just there to give the player something to fight, whereas Nexerelin requires something that is actually possible to defeat in the long run.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2017, 08:49:06 AM »

Why the change to Front Shield Generators?

That pretty much makes them no-go for any ships with Omni Shields :-\

It would make much more sense to simply give them an efficiency penalty, instead, imho.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 28, 2017, 08:53:20 AM »

@ xenoargh:  Front Shield Generator, to be renamed Makeshift Shield Generator, adds a shield to ships without a shield.  You were thinking of Front Shield Emitter, which will be renamed to Shield Conversion - Front or something similar.

That said, the OP cost to Makeshift Shield Generator is enough of a penalty for the ships that need it.  Even (A) ships struggle to afford all among Makeshift Shield Generator, sufficient flux, and weapons to work.  The speed penalty on top of that is unnecessary.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 28, 2017, 09:22:51 AM »

I'm totally agreed with you.  Most of the ships that can buy Front Shield Generator (Hounds, etc.) don't have good Flux pools or Dissipation stats... so, unless that's fixed, this effectively kills their last use-case...
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 28, 2017, 10:37:08 AM »

As an aside:

Size of new patrols spawned patrols increases more quickly as they're defeated
I found this pretty funny, because in Nexerelin I actually had to tone patrol size scaling down, way down compared to vanilla. Once a bunch of patrols die (which can happen very quickly even without player intervention, if a star system is repeatedly targeted for invasions), high-powered markets like Sindria or even Eochu Bres can very quickly inundate the system in oversized detachments, through which an invasion fleet (or the player's, for that matter) has no chance of getting through.

Of course the design goals are different in each case: in vanilla patrols are just there to give the player something to fight, whereas Nexerelin requires something that is actually possible to defeat in the long run.

maybe patrol size can shrink over time if nobody is dying? (after all, who wants to throw out all these detachments if the enemies aren't even coming?)

Or is that already the case?
mmm.... tartiflette
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 35