Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 276566 times)

dk1332

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8.1a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2017, 06:10:41 PM »

Yes, yes!  ;D
I can't wait for this update to be released!
Anyway, Alex. Can we restore detached/destroyed modules on a ship? e.g. when we restore a ship and it's missing its modules, can we restore the modules as well?
Also, Any ETAs for the update?
detached modules? what?
Prolly those destroyed weapon mounts?

Could we pretty pretty please get some sort of military cargo and tanker ship? I don't mind investing more heavily in them to get the benefit but I feel it is very much an area where the sector military fleets lack.

brb colossus (A) mod incoming

SOMEONE MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2017, 06:12:49 PM »

I think I mentioned this before - not something I'm comfortable touching w/o a bunch of testing to follow. Too easy to introduce a bug there.
yup, you did mention that. but that was before the 0.8a release, so i was wondering whether it would be suitable for 0.8.1.
i'm gonna stop pestering you about it now though, sorry. ^^

Good idea. Renamed to:
Makeshift Shield Generator
Shield Conversion - Front
Shield Conversion - Omni
\o/

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2017, 06:16:21 PM »

Might as well throw in my initial thoughts of the changes that stuck out, to me at least. This comes directly from my comments on the Discord.

Spoiler

- Autofit now attempts to recreate weapon groups used by the target variant instead of autogenerating them
THANK GOD

- Fighters now start out in "regroup" rather than "engage" mode
YES

- Added Colossus Mk.II and Mk.III
Hot damn. Can't wait to see what those could be!

(Thunder changes)
Whoa. The Thunder's been changed up a lot. Way faster, long range, and now armed with LDMG, IR Pulse and swarmers. Darn, I'mma miss the Ion Cannon as much as the Harpoon, but still looking forward to them.

- LRPD Laser: reduced flux to 25/sec (was 100)
For some reason this speaks volumes to me.

- Odyssey: Increased speed to 90 (was 50), also increased acceleration/deceleration/turn accel
Holy... That is a big speed buff.

- Added new carriers (Mora, Drover, Legion) to the "Random Battle" mission
This makes me incredibly happy.

- Fixed bug where venting would trigger the cooldown on Phase Lance and similar weapons
Nice. That one was starting to annoy me.

- Fixed issue with REDACTED fleets not spawning at REDACTED REDACTED
This just makes me laugh all over again.  ;D

[close]

As always, awesome work Devs! Can't wait!

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2017, 06:36:46 PM »

On the big REDACTED, some modules stay on and others fly off when destroyed.

but those will never be repaired, per se, right? So we're just talking about like a mod thing?

Could we pretty pretty please get some sort of military cargo and tanker ship? I don't mind investing more heavily in them to get the benefit but I feel it is very much an area where the sector military fleets lack.

brb colossus (A) mod incoming

SOMEONE MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!

WIP, thoughts?
mmm.... tartiflette

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2017, 06:38:44 PM »

On the big REDACTED, some modules stay on and others fly off when destroyed.

but those will never be repaired, per se, right? So we're just talking about like a mod thing?

Yeah, mod thing. At least if I interpreted the question correctly.

dk1332

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2017, 06:42:38 PM »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2017, 07:18:43 PM »

Yeah, mod thing. At least if I interpreted the question correctly.
Hm, so that means, for example, if you blow off an Armor piece off of a REDACTED, it won't ever come back no matter how long you wait?  If that's true, feels a bit odd since that flies in the face of everything else we've seen with Starsector.  Heck, that might even change how I fight it.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2017, 07:23:49 PM »

It'll come back. What I mean by "mod thing" is that it's not something that will affect the player's ships in vanilla, since there are no player-gettable ships with modules.

... so much confusion :)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2017, 07:32:05 PM »

It'll come back. What I mean by "mod thing" is that it's not something that will affect the player's ships in vanilla, since there are no player-gettable ships with modules.

... so much confusion :)
Those are the best questions!

Player ship or not, taking down a big REDACTED is like eating a sandwich.  Eating it in one big go is hard - taking bits out of it is easier, though costs more time (and supplies).  Hence my interest.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2017, 07:45:17 PM »

If we're lobbying for Hound buffs we will all end up regretting, I'll throw in a plug for pirate variants with Arbalests to make the current crop of newbies experience some shadow of the hell that early game used to be.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2017, 07:57:11 PM »

Re: FSG - if it takes a barely-combat-viable ship and makes it combat-viable, then that by definition is at least bordering on "too strong", isn't it? The idea is to make it available early, but also make it an option rather than something you always put on Hounds/Cerberi/etc.
Uh, no.

I would always put it on Hound and Ceberus because without it, they die the moment any serious warship looks at them funny.  Missiles? Dead!  Long-range beams? Dead!  EMP? Dead!  I treat Hound and Cerebus as civilians without the civilian hullmods.  Specifically, I treat them as freighters that can run from just about anything pirates throw at them.

Without shields, I do not even think about using Hound and Cerberus in a fight because they are that fragile.

When I fight against such ships, they are easy to kill and are among the first to die.

That said, bad flux stats combined with inefficient shields and low OP (due to being hybrid ship instead of a true warship) makes it hard to use shields well.

I would like to see a hullmod that strips shields from beefier ships that can take some hits like Enforcer and Onslaught.  I know mods have added that (not sure which one, since I do not play them), but it could help AI ships that overload too easily from bad shields (like Enforcer).

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2017, 08:04:19 PM »

Lots of excellent changes in there.

Re: Odyssey

I nearly posted a semi-rant in Megas' feedback thread about how the Odyssey was in a no-man's land for high-tech ships. Every other "large" high-tech ship had either a mobility system or strong shield but the Odyssey did not. It was trying to slug it out with inferior energy weapons and an asymmetrical design.

What I like about the 90 speed, even if it is high, is that the Odyssey becomes closer to what I wanted the Aurora to be before Plasma Jets: something of a high-tech ship-of-the-line. It's following classic battlecruiser doctrine: outgunning what it can't outrun and outrunning what it can't outgun. While its offensive/defensive capabilities remain relatively unchanged (though the addition of another flightdeck is pretty significant), the fact that it's moving at destroyer speed means that it can outflank cruisers and capitals that would win a straight-on fight. Maybe it will it be a tad too strong in this iteration but do remember, it has the second-highest deployment cost in the game: right after the Paragon and tied with an Astral.

Re: Tug changes

I get that it's useful to increase the speed of your fleet, especially if you have a load of slower freighters or capitals but as long as S-Burn remains the preferred method of travel, +1 just isn't that significant. Now that the AI is using S-Burn, maybe I'll have to pay more attention to my fleet's base burn speed because I could get chased down but like I said in the Augmented Drive Field thread, S-Burn has trivialized (or perhaps more appropriately, homogenized) burn levels. With the changes to S-Burn, perhaps its use won't be as ubiquitous as current?

I thought you were looking into making Tugs more of a fuel-saving measure for the rust-bucket fleets, though the +50% fuel perk in Recovery Operations may have been the route you took.

Added "Converted Hangar" modspec to level 2 Fighter Doctrine

Massive change, IMO. I don't think there is a single modspec that completely changes the way you play as much as this one. It's rarity in the current game means I don't mess with it much but if I ever stumble across it, most of my destroyers and above use it. The flexibility that's offered by adding a fighter wing to even a destroyer is huge and it's not difficult to reach a critical mass of fighters/bombers if you toss in a few dedicated carriers. I'd hate for it to get nerfed but fighters are just so good right now. I'd daresay move it to Level 3 if nothing else changes.

Less drastically reduced flux cost of PD Laser and both Burst PD Laser versions

I must be dense: I don't understand what this is saying. Did flux costs increase for PD Laser and Burst PD...? The "less" is throwing me off and perhaps it's not supposed to be there at all?

Ton of a great bugfixes. Huge QoL improvements in there. Loving the fighter changes and will have to be on the lookout for Thunders now.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:06:00 PM by FooF »

Anysy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2017, 08:18:03 PM »

Less drastically reduced flux cost of PD Laser and both Burst PD Laser versions

I must be dense: I don't understand what this is saying. Did flux costs increase for PD Laser and Burst PD...? The "less" is throwing me off and perhaps it's not supposed to be there at all?

Ton of a great bugfixes. Huge QoL improvements in there. Loving the fighter changes and will have to be on the lookout for Thunders now.
LRPD went from 100 to 25, a 75% reduction. I assume what he means is the others 'only' went down by maybe 50% of their cost (say, 50 to 20, or 25 to 15, I cant remember specifically what the others are)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2017, 08:21:23 PM »

@Megas:
I'm not saying those ships are too strong with FSG. I'm saying that if FSG single-handedly takes them out of "garbage tier", then it's too strong.

That said, they're still usable - I've had decent early-game success deploying both Hounds and Cerberi; a heavy mauler is a heavy mauler no matter how crappy the firing platform. With FSG, hopefully there'll be an alternate way of using these in the early game that's not so weapon reliant but isn't straight-up better than the unshielded version.

I thought you were looking into making Tugs more of a fuel-saving measure for the rust-bucket fleets, though the +50% fuel perk in Recovery Operations may have been the route you took.

Yeah, exactly. Tugs may be on the expensive side, but maybe with SB being less of an always-on, they'd have a niche. Too cheap and this stacking would be trouble, though, so have to err on the side of too expensive.

Massive change, IMO. I don't think there is a single modspec that completely changes the way you play as much as this one. It's rarity in the current game means I don't mess with it much but if I ever stumble across it, most of my destroyers and above use it. The flexibility that's offered by adding a fighter wing to even a destroyer is huge and it's not difficult to reach a critical mass of fighters/bombers if you toss in a few dedicated carriers. I'd hate for it to get nerfed but fighters are just so good right now. I'd daresay move it to Level 3 if nothing else changes.

I'm hoping that the overall balanced changes to fighters make this a bit less appealing, i.e. 0-OP Talons being so great combines especially well with Converted Hangar.

LRPD went from 100 to 25, a 75% reduction. I assume what he means is the others 'only' went down by maybe 50% of their cost (say, 50 to 20, or 25 to 15, I cant remember specifically what the others are)

Yeah - that item is meant to be read in the context of the one immediately previous, but I can see how that's confusing.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2017, 08:34:01 PM »

• Ion Pulser: ammo regenerates in sets of 3, to match burst size

Has this always been possible? I just got a little idea for ballistic weapons in my personal mod ;)
mmm.... tartiflette
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35