Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starting a New Game Hangs During Econ Sim If EveryFrameCombatPlugin Operates  (Read 1647 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile

Pretty simple, really; the game doesn't send a isPaused() or other signals to halt EveryFrameCombatPlugins, and the period where X days are simulated crashes (without a crash log or anything to indicate what's wrong) if the Plugin is currently using much, if any, CPU time.  I've observed that it's fine when nothing's going on; the crash is only when there's load (really significant or not, it can happen).  This suggests that there's some timeout condition happening there that obviously shouldn't (that period of the game should pause the sim and not stop until it's complete).

I can post up the mod that I know causes this hang, but I'm pretty sure you can just throw any EveryFrameCombatPlugin in, make it do something complex mathematically per-frame, and observe this crash.  I wish it gave me something useful in the log to give you more information, though.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

The mod would be good, yes. I strongly suspect it's an issue with the mod - plenty of other mods have combat plugins and don't suffer from this problem; whether the plugin is doing something intensive or not should literally make zero difference here. The title screen combat stuff isn't "paused" during new game creation - it's not running at all. The same thread it would be running on is instead doing the new game creation stuff.

Further, if there's no log of the crash, that's probably a JVM crash, and there may be an hs_errXXX.pid file somewhere - I think in starsector-core, but possibly one level above - with more info.

Also: which version of Java are you using?

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile

64-bit Java.  Anyhow, yeah, weird; I know it must be in the EveryFrame plugin, but it's not crashing anywhere else (well, that I know of).  I'll upload something to you shortly.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Just to make sure, Java 7 or 8? (If it's 8, "just say no".)