Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Moddable Universes and interactive stories in Starsector  (Read 4240 times)

Armitage1982

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • ARm42.com
Moddable Universes and interactive stories in Starsector
« on: May 16, 2017, 10:47:37 AM »

Hi,

I'm playing Starsector since quite a moment now and I really feel this game could host the kinds of experiences I really want to play.

The combat and market system are really great but what I'm really looking for is a sense of deep exploration into the unknown. Discovering and investigate on space anomalies, learning about advanced alien technologies or mysteriously extincted civilizations and searching for clues across the universe.

A dense Alien / Dune universe, a bit of Lovecraft Mythos and just enough of Asimov to keep you intrigued.

It doesn't have to be very graphical or very wordy. Just another layer of gameplay mechanics like the one you can see inside Sunless Sea from Failbetter Games for example. Being able to scan planets, derelicts, outposts or space stations to find artefacts and use them inside dialogs to unlock events or stories.

1. Does any mod evolving around this idea already exist in Starsector ?
2. Is the modding API available flexible enough to create something like this ?
3. Does anyone know if the official development direction of Starsector could possibly feature such gameplay mechanics ?

If eventually you know a game that does exactly what I'm talking about, please don't hesitate to share. But the thing is I really enjoy the look'n'feel of Starsector and I think we can go much further with a simple system similar to Sunless Sea than the way other adventures games do.

Thanks

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile
Re: Moddable Universes and interactive stories in Starsector
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 03:30:31 PM »

So basically you'd like to see some story put into the game, ruled by random and/or triggered events.
I get what you are saying, and there are events in the game but they mainly affect or are affected by the market system and don't provide any story (unless I have failed to find the ones that do).

Honestly I have no idea if the current system allows the addition of such kind of events in a way a "story" could be added, but that certainly would be a great idea and I'm sure Alex will probably add something similar at some point.

Something I think would certainly open some doors to a story progression would be the existance of NPC players that like the player can roam around the map, fighting enemies and interacting with you, telling you stories based on their exploits and such, asking for your assistance or simply raging against you, etc...

zaimoni

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 03:43:23 PM »

Possible?  Certainly, once a critical bug is fixed with the .81 release (cf. the Nexarellin mod).

But...very time-intensive.  If I wanted to be positive of such a variant, I'd become a modder.

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 03:59:01 PM »

Look at this quote from Alex some time ago:

I feel comfortable saying that it'll be a sandbox, without "you have to do these story missions to progress" type of mechanics. Not to say that there won't be missions, or even mission chains - that's still TBD.

So there is a chance they will be added to the game

tinsoldier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 04:08:59 PM »

Look at this quote from Alex some time ago:

I feel comfortable saying that it'll be a sandbox, without "you have to do these story missions to progress" type of mechanics. Not to say that there won't be missions, or even mission chains - that's still TBD.

So there is a chance they will be added to the game

Yeesh, a five year old quote! 

Doesn't the tutorial experience reflect what OP is after pretty well?  There's not much "storytelling" but you have a rudimentary quest chain with recurring characters.  Seems reasonably possible you could build an entire story based on that although I have no idea how much of that is moddable (hopefully more and more over time).

Armitage1982

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • ARm42.com
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 03:07:26 AM »

Doesn't the tutorial experience reflect what OP is after pretty well?

Yeah, that could do it.
If the API allow this and a bit more, like dialog trees with multiple results based on cargo or previous events, then I think we could get this experience right away.
Having access to screen layout could really be a plus. Being able to display one like the planet survey, the tutorial or event like exploring derelict, outpost, communication between pilots, etc.

I was very interested by this mod :
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9175.0

But back in v0.7 I didn't try any mods so I can't really tell. Hope it'll be part of v0.8.

So basically you'd like to see some story put into the game, ruled by random and/or triggered events.

Yes, something like this.
It doesn't have to be a story with a beginning, middle and a end.
Just traces of histories and few events with catchy pictures to feel we are part of a deep universe.

Fallen London is another interactive fiction game that gives a great sense of exploration with simple mechanisms, a few drawings and plenty of options.
https://youtu.be/0HifRtv06R4

There's also text adventures in Space Rangers HD  with lots of interesting ideas.
https://youtu.be/ZpxihdpzLCU
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 03:10:02 AM by Armitage1982 »

Armitage1982

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • ARm42.com
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 03:12:58 AM »

Also found this interesting Kickstarter video of Sunless Sea :
https://youtu.be/WMyHS8_30HA

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 08:55:00 AM »

I like the idea, but I think that might be a major update rather than a minor one. Major being  like from 0.7.2 to 8.0a and minor being 0.8a to 0.8.1a for EG.

So, a way of looking at it is like this. Get the frame for your work going, get your canvas going, and then you can actually put content onto that canvas.

Some modders are looking into that though and IIRC there was a mod at one point that put that into place, though it was a TC and rather buggy... Not sure if my memory is worth a salt on that subject though.