Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Save Game Bloat & Corruption  (Read 6119 times)

2_Wycked

• Commander
    • View Profile
Save Game Bloat & Corruption
« on: May 15, 2017, 07:07:24 PM »

I experienced my first bug/error a couple of minutes ago. I was just trying to quicksave at the end of a session but the game took a much longer time than usual (this longer-than-usual save time seems to happen every so often for me) until it slowed to a crawl and just ended freezing. When I reopened the game my save file had been corrupted, and like I said I've never had that happen before so I wanted to bring it up here. I am using some mods (SS+, Diable, ORA, Shadowyards, etc) I'm not sure if that matters. Let me know if you'd like a copy of my save file because it's too big to attach here.

I'm wondering if having a lot of objects on screen or in the system causes more strain on the game? I was in Jongala for the first time and there were probably 15 or 20 debris fields carpeting the area around the planet for some reason. Not sure if that's related at all to the crashing... and I'm assuming that there's no real way to pull my data from the save file to transfer to a new game, correct?

Thanks!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Save Game Bloat & Corruption
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 07:10:30 PM »

Sounds similar to what's going on here:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12357.0

Not sure whether it's mod or vanilla caused (though I don't think I've seen it reported for pure vanilla); but what you're describing sounds like a memory leak - generally, a save taking longer than usual or stuttering etc is a pretty good indicator of one. I'd suggest restarting the game if you have that happen, just to avoid save corruption at a later point.

Zhentar

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 11:33:44 AM »

I experienced something like that in pure vanilla last night - hitching every few seconds, and saving did seem to take longer than usual. Saving & restarting cleared it up for me.

If I encounter that again, is there anything I can do to collect any useful information for you?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 02:28:43 PM »

Hmm - how long the playsession was could be a helpful bit of information. Beyond that, unfortunately, it'd take some pretty specialized looking-into to see exactly what's going on when that happens. If you manage to identify a specific cause (i.e. you do <thing>, and then that starts to happen), then that would of course be super helpful.

Zhentar

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 02:52:45 PM »

I had Starsector launched for at least 30 hours, maybe quite a bit longer, but most of that was spent idling in the background. I'd had maybe 2-3 hours of play time since the last time I loaded a save, and the hour-ish leading up to it was spent salvaging what must have been at least a dozen domain probes (so a lot of short battles in succession).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 03:18:31 PM »

Ah, ok - I'm not too surprised, actually, and some stuttering may be ok there, if it's been running for that long. Although if it hasn't been stuttering for a few hours of actual play after that, and *then* started stuttering... hmm. Alright, useful data point - thank you!

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 04:11:30 PM »

I also had this happen yesterday, using SS+, Imperium, Dassault, Hegemony Auxiliary, Better Beginnings and Arsenal Expansion. Happened the same way as described, and I don't remember the scene being particularly cluttered. I don't have the 64-bit JRE on my 0.8 install, but I imagine it is memory related, I'd been playing for a good few hours straight.

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 03:33:09 PM »

I experienced this as well. I think it might be the Imerium mod, as this is the last thing the save game system wrote before it crashed.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 06:09:54 PM »

I experienced something like that in pure vanilla last night - hitching every few seconds, and saving did seem to take longer than usual. Saving & restarting cleared it up for me.

If I encounter that again, is there anything I can do to collect any useful information for you?
You aren't using java 8 right?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 06:21:34 PM »

I experienced this as well. I think it might be the Imerium mod, as this is the last thing the save game system wrote before it crashed.

What do you mean by "this"?

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 02:52:41 PM »

What do you mean by "this"?

to be honest I have few details for you, I'm still collecting information.

I had difficulty reproducing the issue, but I experienced the exact same issue as 2_Wycked, Starsector had written 2/3rds of the save file before it died, it was deep in some nested structure, and looking at the end of the file (which was malformed due to not having written the end tags) it was writing something to do with the imperium.

I'm still gathering info, I removed the imperium mod and am playing again without it to see if I see another save freeze. So far no. I'll keep going for a bit and if I don't hit it, I'll start a new save with just the imperium and try again.

(also whats with the scare quotes around "this"  ???)

2_Wycked

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 06:44:19 AM »

Just wanted to chime in and confirm that I'm having the same issue even with regularly restarting the game every 30 mins or so. Let us know if it turns out Imperium is causing it because this is super frustrating.