Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: A new use for [Redacted] Cores  (Read 1294 times)

WastedAlmond

• Ensign
    • View Profile
A new use for [Redacted] Cores
« on: May 15, 2017, 01:54:54 PM »

Potential spoilers!

I thought of a potential extra use for Alpha cores, I lurk quite a bit and haven't bumped into this exact idea yet, so here goes.

I thought it would be nice if alpha cores could be used to raise player level cap by one per alpha core. They would get an alternative use, that would be roughly on par with the massive rewards you get normally when trading them in. This could be a nice little choice for the high level player on how they want to spend the core. I think it would also provide a small incentive to keep playing a high level char as the level cap wouldn't be set in stone anymore.

How this could be handled in-game would be: Take the alpha cores to an independent station or other neutral party, pay them money and an alpha core to enhance your person with some neural implants, thus raising your mental capabilities of learning (+1 level cap, repeatable).

Beta cores could be used for officers to some degree. Maybe to just give them a one time random skill that could be re-rolled with another core and credits payment. These skills could be unique QoL skills or something else entirely. Or just one extra normal skill for starters. Maybe even a respec?

Gamma cores could be used to give minor boosts to individual ships in your fleet, like: minor autotrack improvements, 1-2% higher 0-flux 0boost threshold etc. The upgrades could be cumulative free hullmods with a cap of 3-5, and relatively low impact but still something meaningful.

Core rarities could be adjusted for balance, or augment prices & requirements on the "upgrade market".

This ended up way too long O_o... I guess my point with these would be to give a little more endgame progression for the people who want to keep going. Of course power creep would be an issue, but you've already "beaten" the game once you reach level cap and start finding Alpha cores.

Embercloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: A new use for [Redacted] Cores
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 06:20:07 AM »

Incorporating a malicious, manipulative AI with a chip on their shoulder into yourself sounds like a bad idea, to be honest