Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Black Holes  (Read 17768 times)

tchan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Black Holes
« on: May 15, 2017, 12:27:55 AM »

Maybe it was just me, but I kinda expected to be sucked in when I went over the event horizon of a black hole for the first time.  :P

Also, its pretty brave and badass to see a research station parked right next to one.  Too bad everyone is already dead.   :-\

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Black Holes
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 02:34:44 AM »

A black hole is just like a star really.

A really really hungry star, but a star none the less.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Flying Birdy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 03:47:11 AM »

I once saw an AI scavenger fleet stuck in a black hole. The fleet did not die. Every single one of its ships were at 1% CR.

I got greedy, drove my fleet into them trying to get some free kills. Turns out, the battle CR degradation in the black hole is insane. Within a minute all of my ships were past peak performance. And the moments following were just more rapid degradation.

To make matters worse, The 1% CR fleet had just enough CR (1%) to not turn over and die. The fight quickly turned into a bunch of 0CR ships fighting each other in a slow malfunction filled fight. I ended up winning, but was stuck in the black hole with 0 CR. It was a sad day. Needless to say I quit and reloaded.

Vigal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 04:02:06 AM »

To be honest I think they are scary enough as it is! I saw a research station near one so I swoop in and raided it.
By the time I had escaped the black hole's pull my CR had dropped so low I ran out of supplies on the way home
and basically limped into port with several ships severely damaged and a substatial amount of crew dead and
smaller ships destroyed.

Basically if its not in the big rings round the hole I go nowhere near the buggers now.

dk1332

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 07:21:43 PM »

Maybe it was just me, but I kinda expected to be sucked in when I went over the event horizon of a black hole for the first time.  :P

Did the same thing, I decided to save and approached it, hoping something will happen like it will actually kill you, or hoping Alex left a little secret inside the black hole.

All I got was near empty supplies, and disappointment.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 08:27:56 PM »

The starscape map isn't flat, fleets don't actually fly into stars, they around them vertically, and fleets won't fly past the event horizon, they just get stuck near it e-burning permanently to keep out of it until the ship dies from cr accidents
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 11:42:15 AM »

if fleets don't actually fly into stars then whycome when you get near the star it degrades yur CEE ARE!

bet you can't explain that can ya!!!

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 03:23:46 PM »

if fleets don't actually fly into stars then whycome when you get near the star it degrades yur CEE ARE!

bet you can't explain that can ya!!!

(for the exact same reason as a black hole does :P gravity well)
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 02:04:12 PM »

I myself the first thing I did, I flew right into one and nothing happened, no time dilation, no gravity pull. I kind of expected for it to at least make time move faster by default to some degree around me as if I was holding shift but nope.

Like have having at least that time slow down for any vessel around the black hole in a way that you can see any ship at any burn level suddenly in slow motion and when you try to intercept that fleet that looks like it's moving at a snails pace and the closer you get you start noticing that NPC fleet moving more normally and out of survival instinct one should generally pull out of that place but realize upon exiting the black hole's influence that you have basically time-traveled to the future.

And yes, I know that this sort of feature most likely requires A LOT of processing power and even more coding to pull off such a feature in any game as it has to calculate the faster pace of NPCs, their AI and all events in the game to move/pass by very fast.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 03:05:58 PM by Drokkath »
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 02:15:51 PM »

There's an issue where black holes have less of a "pull in" effect when sustained burn is on; fixed that up.

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 03:04:06 PM »

@Alex

Aye, the "pull in" effect is at least something unique that make black holes just as scary in a game, though not as scary as it is in reality but, heh.. details.

BTW, just incase. I didn't mean to sound somehow like someone from some Tri-Tachyon nobility and thus be like "Hey you should do this and this and that and then this again, blah blah-".
Merely got deep in my own thoughts without giving much look and thought at my own post. :-\
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 03:07:47 PM »

No worries, didn't take anything negatively in the slightest! It's fun to think about this sort of stuff :)

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 06:43:57 PM »

There's an issue where black holes have less of a "pull in" effect when sustained burn is on; fixed that up.

research station scanning turned into suicide mission?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 07:37:32 PM »

Hah, not quite. You can still make your way out, it just requires somewhat trickier maneuvering and/or E-burn.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 10:07:23 PM »

Ah, I was wondering if it meant to be that easy to escape. Welp, there goes my easy escape plans.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."
Pages: [1] 2