Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Disassemble Reassemble v1.6.9 - Another lovingly kitbashed ship pack!  (Read 415008 times)

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile

Liking this mod so far. Seen your ships in large variety of fleets and wondering sometimes for a moment "huh, what ship is that?". Default factions sure have more in their fleet arsenal.
A welcome change.

On a side note: Last time I went against a pather, was someone who in his/her Junker flew towards me straight on and once the auto boosters of mine disengaged my highly dense and highly heavy in weight customized super-Hermit demolished the foe's vessel upon contact. I burst out in laughter as I was about to fire at it only to realize that my ship's extreme density of mass had already destroyed the foe. :D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 03:16:49 AM by Drokkath »
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

A Random Jolteon

• Commander
    • View Profile

Liking this mod so far. Seen your ships in large variety of fleets and wondering sometimes for a moment "huh, what ship is that?". Default factions sure have more in their fleet arsenal.
A welcome change.

One a side note: Last time I went against a pather, was someone who in his/her Junker flew towards me straight on and once the auto boosters of mine disengaged my highly dense and highly heavy in weight customized super-Hermit demolished the foe's vessel upon contact. I burst out in laughter as I was about to fire at it only to realize that my ship's extreme density of mass had already destroyed the foe. :D
Pather: BANZAAAAAI!
(two seconds later)
Pather: MISTAKES WERE MAAAAADE!

That was my thought about that moment. XD
Hi. I exist. Bye.

Drokkath

• Captain
    • View Profile

Heheh! Yeah, pretty much. :D For a moment in-game there I reflected on what did just happen and then laughed some more. I love priceless moments like that, they sure help to make one heal faster and make a day and life seem much brighter.

Back on-topic; that hysterical moment had nothing to do with the mod other than a pather having just one ship left in the fleet after a raid or a battle somewhere nearby. It was running from a pirate fleet and I happened to be the closest to the vessel's path. Didn't watch what condition the pather's Junker was, looked healthy enough until I accidentally rammed it into three pieces of debris as I was slowing down and expecting the opponent to keep some distance from me as they usually do...

...wait, what? Did I just find a fault with AI usage of a Junker? O_o
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 06:28:34 PM by Drokkath »
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile

Heh, sounds like a wild time.  ;D It's possible the AI just had a hiccup with the Burn Drive, or something went on that made the thing just decide to ram. I really couldn't say - I wouldn't think the Junker would in itself cause such issues, since it's got guns and shields and all. More likely it's just more visible when a Junker does that since it basically falls apart if it collides with anything. XD

Drokkath

• Captain
    • View Profile

One heck of a hiccup then indeed. :) Its one of those moments where one would wish to have had the means to take a footage of it but weren't able to.

A Random Jolteon

• Commander
    • View Profile

Hmm...I can confirm that Duck-Tape ship designated "Junker" does not fair well with being rammed by a Ram Driving Onslaught...I can also confirm that said Onslaught does not take notice of said explosion.

I think it was tired of me shooting its rear end a couple minutes earlier.
Hi. I exist. Bye.

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile

The new battleship is really great, I love the sprite. By the way, is it intended to not be available in game so far (except missions)? I checked the .faction files and it appears nowhere.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile

The new battleship is really great, I love the sprite. By the way, is it intended to not be available in game so far (except missions)? I checked the .faction files and it appears nowhere.

I think you'll notice (both in the thread original post and in the changelog) that the Vendetta is heavily marked as "Work in progress - no campaign integration".

So yes. It's intended.

Also, the sprite is nowhere near finished.  :P It's messy as all hell, and I'm gonna have to psych myself up before I attempt to clean it up. Only then will I consider putting it into the campaign.

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile

My bad, I did see the WIP, but in my mind it doesn't present to have some fun (and feedback) from it.
I kinda like the "messy" aspect of the sprite. In fact I was thinking it was a pirate ship, or just in agreement with its "ancient behemoth" background.
The Fast Missile system is quite surprisingly effective for a capital ship.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile

I kinda like the "messy" aspect of the sprite.

Well, I'm afraid you'll eventually have to forget the messy aspect, since that shows bad spriting practise.  :-[ Basically what I have now for the Vendetta is a great shape and ship design, but utter crap details - with the exception of the front third of the ship (which was painted mostly as I went).

The Fast Missile system is quite surprisingly effective for a capital ship.

Heh, it is isn't it? Just be careful with it - it generates a good chunk of flux on use!

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile

Well, I'm afraid you'll eventually have to forget the messy aspect, since that shows bad spriting practise.  Embarrassed Basically what I have now for the Vendetta is a great shape and ship design, but utter crap details - with the exception of the front third of the ship (which was painted mostly as I went).

Would clearly be interested to know your work flow about the process of spriting!

Heh, it is isn't it? Just be careful with it - it generates a good chunk of flux on use!

Yeah I try it against a Conquest to see how it goes. It was a quick an violent fight with the Conquest finishing in 3 pieces and the Vendetta lost 1/3 of its hull. The fact the Missiles are the main weaponry is a nice advantage, as the ship can use its flux for its shiel while using no-flux weapons.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile

Would clearly be interested to know your work flow about the process of spriting!

Then I strongly suggest you join the Starsector Discord channel - that's where I share most of my development and get early feedback, though chances are you'll quickly notice that I'm very much a small fish in the modding world, haha! You can find the link to join here: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11488.0

Kitfox88

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

I always love seeing what creative minds can do with some kitbashing, love the mod! Hype as well for a future update that introduces the Vendetta, having more capitals is always awesome.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile

Glad you're enjoying it!  ;D

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Disassemble Reassemble v0.9 - Another lovingly kitbashed ship pack!
« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2017, 07:11:43 PM »

Major Update: Version 0.9 - A pre-Tournament "Compilation"!

Gotta say, I wasn't expecting the next AI Tournament to be happening quite this soon, but what with all the fancy shmancy new stuff I've had in the works it would be a crime to let it go ahead (with the wonderful Knight Chase fielding a combination of ships from DaRa and InventorRaccoon's Arsenal Expansion mod) without pushing out an update! Therefore, it might be a little rushed, but I think you'll be satisfied nonetheless.

The changes this time around are somewhat less superficial than previous ones. While we still have the compulsory additional ships and weapons for you to test out in the battlefield, the biggest change you'll note is that DaRa's scripted code is now compiled into a single .jar file - a monumental thanks to MesoTronik, who continues to tutor me in how the damn thing works, haha!

Anyway, the practical upshot of this is that DaRa can now incorporate certain advanced features it would otherwise be unable to support, and you'll be able to see that currently in only one location: the Seraphim's Judgement Spire missile now has a unique custom missile AI!

Spoiler

Can't stop won't stop....!

[close]

... And I'm sure that you'll find it even more exilherating to use than it was before!

[!] Bear in mind that this means DaRa now requires LazyLib also be installed and running in order to function. If you don't already have it, you can find a link to the library mod in the OP.

Aside from that enormous change, we also welcome along a few new experimental ships to replace some of the novelty removed this version, such as the Vigilance MkII* - though you're now able to find the "ultralight carrier" in a slightly different form in Knight Chase's Mayasuran Navy mod. Most intriguing perhaps is the new Vagrant-class Battleboat, a pirate-built destroyer sporting a modular gun-pod with a few unique properties.

You should also be able to see (at last) the Starlifter-class Mining Platform in the campaign. A modified Atlas hull, the Starlifter might not be particularly dangerous in combat, but it's packed to the bilges with hardware for exploration missions of all kinds.

We also have a new pair of exciting midline fighters in the mix: the expensive, kinetic-heavy Cayman and the far cheaper laser-toting Honeybee, both of which have enough quirks to entertain many a carrier captain. And finally, a pair of new ship weapons in the form of an all-purpose burst laser called the Machete Multirole Laser, and a completely novel weapon for launching high-explosive suicide "drones", the Kamikaze Talon Launcher. Maybe just a little silly, but the pirates' usage of it might catch you by surprise!

Other balances and changes are purely superficial, but it's all I've got time to throw together. Time now to sit back and see if the tournament sheds light on any balance issues, and if not, it'll hopefully be a rather nice advertising campaign for yours truly, hehe!  ;D

As always, check the OP for more details.

* THIS UPDATE WILL BREAK SAVES!!!

... Although if you really want, I hear you can use Save Transfer to carry a save over between mod versions: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8950.0
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 07:26:19 PM by AxleMC131 »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26