Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Why MUST we play the tutorial first?  (Read 30978 times)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
Why MUST we play the tutorial first?
« on: May 10, 2017, 05:04:09 AM »

Whilst I understand the need to have a tutorial to teach players how to play, forcing players - especially very experienced ones - to play a tutorial is a very dated and annoying tactic.
There are a wide number of reasons why, but pretty chief among them is just it's unnecessary to force players to do this.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Why MUST we play the tutorial first?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 05:29:22 AM »

I've been playing for years and a.) wanted to see what the tutorial would be like, b.) there were about half a dozen revolutionary changes brought with .8a so it made sense to be told how they work and c.) it took 20 minutes and I can skip it now if I like.

The game can't distinguish a "veteran" from a "noob" at start-up. As a part of game design, you have to assume the player knows little to nothing. If I were a dev, I'd err on the side of "ignorant player" (which there will be masses of) rather than "experienced player." The experienced player can grin and bear a little hand-holding but the ignorant player, without help, gets completely frustrated and lost. In terms of cost analysis, the experienced player has little to lose (a bit of frustration and time) but the new player has a ton to gain. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Even fantastic open-world games like the new Zelda have a forced tutorial. The trick is is getting the player to enjoy it and/or not know they're doing a tutorial.  ;D

I still do the tutorial for most run-throughs because by the time I'm done, I'm in a better position relative to a quick start. I have a small fleet, weapons, a little more rep, a little more credits, and I'm level 4 or so. It also guarantees I fight a few things in the first few minutes, which may or not be the case when you first enter Corvus.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 06:12:18 AM »

I do not like forced tutorial either.  If it is a very good idea, say so, but do not ram it down my (and others') throat.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 06:42:13 AM »

I haven't needed to do the tutorial. Does it only force you the once when you start the campaign for the very first time on an install or something?

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 07:00:37 AM »

Yeah. Quick way to get around it is start a game on tutorial, save and exit, then start again. The skip tutorial option should then be available
mmm.... tartiflette

zaimoni

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 07:07:53 AM »

Yes, the force is "very first time".

However, the tutorial is easy mode.  If you want a reasonably strong quick start, use the tutorial.  If you want a slow painful start, or have a career plan that can't cope with a starting reputation of ~20 with the Hegomany, skip the tutorial.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 10:17:55 AM »

However, the tutorial is easy mode.  If you want a reasonably strong quick start, use the tutorial.  If you want a slow painful start, or have a career plan that can't cope with a starting reputation of ~20 with the Hegomany, skip the tutorial.
Not true, even skipping tutorial gives you enough reputation with Hegemony to accept commission immediately.  In addition, the base commanders at Galatia and Jangala have positive reputation with you.  You also start with 30,000+ credits.

Maniaks

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 10:31:12 AM »

Are the derelict ships in tutorial random or fixed?

I had a hammerhead destroyer there. The combination of it's Ammo feeder + system overdrive + huge bounty xp and $ rewards made it the easiest start in campaign i remember since 2012.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 10:37:02 AM »

The ships (Wolf, Hammerhead, and Condor) are fixed, but the weapons may not be (not sure on that part).  (i.e., Heavy Blaster upgrade for Wolf may not be guaranteed.)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 10:41:07 AM »

Having the Hammerhead and Condor make for a much easier start for me than 30k credits. I can immediately take any bounty fleet without much risk.

The ships (Wolf, Hammerhead, and Condor) are fixed, but the weapons may not be (not sure on that part).  (i.e., Heavy Blaster upgrade for Wolf may not be guaranteed.)

As a side note, I actually took the heavy blaster off of my wolf - with the vent changes I think the pulse laser is better for fighting lightly armored enemies.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 10:45:23 AM »

I guess either pulse laser or heavy blaster will work.  I try pulse laser, it takes too long to chip enemies.  I try blaster, it gets flux capped too quickly.  I may do slightly better with blaster.  However, fighting things with Wolf (or Medusa) alone is aggravating.  Now, I just deploy a carrier and Talons and watch small things disappear.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 11:03:40 AM »

Pulse laser doesn't work with knife ranges UI forces you to fight at. Other options are being slow and consequently dead OR going full SO (which is again wasted on pulse laser).

But really, anything short of optimal Blaster Wolf (+some skills) is not worth preferring over basic SO Melee Lasher. It just kills stuff so much faster.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 11:06:20 AM »

Trying to crack a Venture with a Pulse Laser as the hardest hitter isn't easymode exactly. Could've fitted a Heavy Blaster but I expected to get on just fine. Some players may be thrown in the deep end by the tutorial, and if they fail to separate the two jump point fleets and / or don't savescum, that encounter can turn into a brick wall real quick. Making it a toggle like ironman would be good.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 11:09:19 AM »

Well, I did say 'lightly armored' :P.

But its not the Wolf's job to take down the Venture. IMO the wolf is for killing the smaller ships as they attempt to disengage - the Venture is easily handled by the Hammerhead and Condor. I agree that the tutorial end fleet is a little hard to take down with just the Wolf (as in I've never tried an I'm honestly not sure that I would be able to, no matter the loadout).

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 11:34:08 AM »

I haven't needed to do the tutorial. Does it only force you the once when you start the campaign for the very first time on an install or something?
Maybe first time on an install... but I've played the game a lot, so that doesn't really work out.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8