Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [0.8a-RC19] Starsector.app fails to launch on MacOS Sierra + bugfix  (Read 1672 times)

sherpajack

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Double clicking on the Starsector.app file after unzipping the latest release for mac fails to open the app. After looking at what had changed within the packages I noticed that the logging line had been changed in the Contents/MacOS/starsector_mac.sh file. Here is the relevant diff between freshly dowloaded copies of the 0.7.2a and 0.8a mac releases:

Code
--- 1/Starsector.0.7.2a.app/Contents/MacOS/starsector_mac.sh
+++ 2/Starsector.0.8a.app/Contents/MacOS/starsector_mac.sh
@@ -30,6 +30,6 @@ export JAVA_HOME=../../Home
        -cp ../../Resources/Java/AppleJavaExtensions.jar:../../Resources/Java/commons-compiler-jdk.jar:../../Resources/Java/commons-compiler.jar:../../Resources/Java/fs.common_obf.jar:../../Res
     com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher \
     "$@" \
-    2>&1
+    >../../../starsector.log 2>&1

exit 0

When I revert this change the 0.8a app launches successfully. I tested this again after removing all related external files using AppCleaner, and the same behavior occurred.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Hmm, that's odd. I wonder if it's a permissions issue.

Do you know if the 0.8a start script work out-of-the-box if you run it from terminal instead of double-clicking? It might also produce an error message if it doesn't.

(No worries if you don't feel like going through the trouble of testing that.)

sherpajack

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I've just tested that; running a clean version from the command line works and I can run a new game correctly.

Fwiw, if I use my workaround to run the app from the finder, I can run the game from the launcher, but then when I start a new game the game crashes with "Fatal: No OpenGL context found in the current thread", which I guess could also be some kind of a permissions thing?

Neither the copy with my workaround nor the out-of-the-box release copy experience this crash when run from the command line.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 03:01:10 AM by sherpajack »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Thanks for the info.

That crash is odd because I was pretty sure I'd fixed it for RC19. It's also weird that it doesn't happen running from the command line, since that also runs the script.