Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Enhanced strike craft controls  (Read 2618 times)

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Enhanced strike craft controls
« on: May 06, 2017, 11:54:49 AM »

So yeah, we can agree that strike craft are stupid strong in the current version, but this isn't supposed to address that, and despite the title being enhanced controls, it's not entirely the case. What I'm proposing is being able to... withhold your fighters and choose when to launch them in a battle, or keep them reserved further in.

Might be extremely situational, but I think it would be useful in those rare times where your carrier can go faster than some strike craft. Or when you're wanting to keep them out of the battle while enemy PD is dealt with, and even having them on Regroup makes them get swiss-cheesed.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
Re: Enhanced strike craft controls
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 12:34:35 PM »

seconded, the control existed last patch for drones (toggle regroup/engage/dock), why can't we have it here?
mmm.... tartiflette

DeMatt

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 03:39:02 AM »

I'd like to third this.

I noticed when I was testing Thunders (from a Phaeton with Converted Hangar) in the simulator, that on Regroup and close to my target Atlas the Thunders would individually launch, spit out their Harpoon, and then land to rearm.  Which made them completely ineffective against the Atlas.  Switching to Engage allowed the active Thunder to start using its other weapons, but with the Phaeton's replacement rate down in the dumps, the second Thunder was unable to relaunch before the first (and my Phaeton's machine guns) finished taking the Atlas apart.  Being able to command "stay docked" would allow me to launch the Thunders when they were both rearmed.

Also, the fighter AI seems to have no conception of "land for repairs".  It can only land to rearm.  Now, choosing to repair in the middle of a furball might not be the best of tactics, but a carrier that's unengaged might want to recover its damaged craft right then instead of waiting for the next engagement and seeing them finished off.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 11:26:46 AM »

A "dock" command would be tactically useful. It's like "Hold Fire" but for fighters, which also has its situational uses. If the fighters are getting cut down in droves on approach, the carrier itself could close the distance and then launch its fighters.

There are also times where I wish my fighters weren't getting spit out and killed one-by-one and would rather them remain within the protection of the carrier until they were full strength. A "dock" or "hold fighters" command would allow me to do this.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 11:37:51 AM »

Yus.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 02:01:09 PM »

I concur. Perhaps a small bonus to replacement recovery rate could be added.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!