Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

How should the star systems be distributed in the campaign map?

Cluster in the outskirts (current - check screenshot in spoilers)
- 12 (75%)
Spread around the core systems
- 1 (6.3%)
Spread all over the place
- 2 (12.5%)
Other? Leave a comment!
- 1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Author Topic: [0.9] Fringe Defence Syndicate v0.11.0 (2019/10/15) - The Murderous Wedges  (Read 211073 times)

Blothorn

• Commander
    • View Profile

Some quick balance feedback:

Phase ships should almost always have Delicate Machinery--Alex did that particularly so that phase ships cannot outlast opponents (since they can almost always outrun an opponent of the same class).

The Agony Mk.II is, well...
- Increase the supply cost--even with substantial nerfs, this will be one of the best frigates in the game and should be 5-6 supplies at least.
- Cut the flux stats: Outside of the Monitor (crippled offensively by its slots), the phase ships, and the Hyperion, the best flux stats we get are the Tempest's 2500/225--this has 4000/350, a good 60% better. I would drop to something between the Wolf and the Tempest, depending on where you price it.
- Cut the armor, shield efficiency, or both: only the Omen and Hyperion have better shield efficiencies, and this has more than twice the armor of either.
- Increase the flux use of the Laser Cannon--this has the DPS of the Pulse Laser at 45% of the flux usage.
- Consider dropping some mounts--this is more heavily armed than any vanilla frigate, and none of them can converge five smalls and a medium forward (because face it, the Laser Cannon is a medium in performance).
- Remember that this is more mobile than any non-phase vanilla frigate (aside from the Hyperion)--it does not need armor, peerless flux stats, or loads of mounts to be great, let alone good.

Agony: cut flux stats, increase supply cost, reduce shield efficiency or armor, as with the Mk.II. The slots don't look too excessive, though.

Sorrow class: 3 supply/{day|recovery} frigates should be near-garbage--is this? Again, too much flux capacity for a non-phase frigate.

Despair: This is essentially a Medusa--same flux dissipation, shield efficiency, and mobility. Why is it 2/3rds the supply cost? (OTOH, it could use a bit more base capacity; it is little above half the capacity/dissipation ratio Alex prefers for destroyers.)

At this point I am going to stop looking at supply costs and flux stats--almost every one of your ships is too cheap for its role/quality, and I think your flux stats need a comprehensive look.

Revenge: FMR on a ship with four converging medium missiles? 16 reapers over a few seconds is crazy. This also has a lot of OP for a missile cruiser; Alex intentionally kept the Gryphon low to offset the large quantity of zero-flux weapons.

Weapons:
- Light Autoblaster Cannon: not crazily out of line, but if this is available why would I ever use the IR Pulse laser? Drop some combination of efficiency, range, or per-shot damage until you think that looks like a fair choice.
- PD Laser Mk.III: Cut damage a bit; +1OP and -25% range don't compensate for dealing nearly twice the DPS of the vanilla PD laser with much better flux efficiency.
- Tali MRM Pod: Nearly twice the total damage of a Harpoon Pod--I would drop it to 28-32 missiles.

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile

***Fringe Defence Syndicate*** v0.9.0

Additions:
     Weapons:
       - Decimator Cannon: Large Long Range HE Ballistic weapon.

Changes:
     Ship Systems:
       - Hyperspace Jump:
        - Decreased charge-up time from 5 seconds to 2 seconds;
        - Does no longer consume flux (It didn't matter anyways...);
       - Gravity Well:
        - No longer disables 0-flux speed boost;
        - No longer affects phased ships;
        - Slows down the host ship by 25%;
        - Fighter slow decreased from 75% to 25%;
        - Frigate slow decreased from 50% to 20%;
        - Destroyer slow decreased from 25% to 10%;
        - Cruiser slow decreased from 15% to 5%;
        - Capital slow decreased from 10% to 0%;
        - Range decreased from 5.000su to 2.500su;
        - System now generates 2% base flux capacity every second as hard flux;

Weapons:
       - Council Spear:
        - Cost decreased from 24.000 to 12.000;

Misc:
       - Droid Factory Industry:
        - Updated sprite for one with the correct size;
        - Cost multiplier decreased from 75 to 60;
        - Time to build decreased from 60 to 30;
        - Upkeep decreased from 8 to 3;

Download available in the first page!

Next stuff to be done:
- Balancing issues mentioned both here and on Discord;
- Look for the possible Terror bug when trying to fabricate it on a colony;

That is all.

ThePollie

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Downloaded, error'd out. Said JSONobject["fallback2"] is not a number.

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile

Downloaded, error'd out. Said JSONobject["fallback2"] is not a number.

EDIT:
That is... Strange.... Could you provide me with your log file?

EDIT 2:
I saw you had issues with DME as well, because of using Starsector v0.8.1.... That is one way to crash the game, using v0.9 mods in v0.8.1...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 03:19:27 AM by Johnny Cocks »

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile

Update!!

What's new?

Not much...
Mostly some fixes and glitter to cover the crappyness of the mod, heh

Thyrork

• Lieutenant
  • Give more then you take.
    • View Profile

Heads up, v0.9.1 is not savegame compatible. Resolve your current save, lest ye accept the loss!
Bio engineering starship mods is extremely Safe. I did the math.

Surge

• Captain
  • Go big or go home.
    • View Profile

So per a thread I posted in the support forum we pinned down FDS as the cause for cryovolcanic worlds with no features whatsoever.
Yep, I'd say that's almost certainly the culprit. From what I can tell, the code performs two look-ups when putting together its list of potential conditions for a particular planet.  First, it searches for a column matching the planet type (so "fds_cryovolcanic" in this case). If that fails, then it attempts to find a column matching the planet category (i.e. "cat_cryovolcanic"). Since neither of those are one of the column header names in vanilla's condition_gen_data.csv, it doesn't add anything to its list and generates the empty world as a result.

This also explains why, as Alex said earlier, the vanilla cryovolcanic worlds work fine. Their planet type is simply "cryovolcanic" so they pass the first check and correctly use the "cryovolcanic" column to generate their conditions without even checking for their "cat_cryovolcanic" planet category. It's really too bad that the column isn't named "cat_cryovolcanic" because it looks like that would have worked in both cases.

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile

So per a thread I posted in the support forum we pinned down FDS as the cause for cryovolcanic worlds with no features whatsoever.
Yep, I'd say that's almost certainly the culprit. From what I can tell, the code performs two look-ups when putting together its list of potential conditions for a particular planet.  First, it searches for a column matching the planet type (so "fds_cryovolcanic" in this case). If that fails, then it attempts to find a column matching the planet category (i.e. "cat_cryovolcanic"). Since neither of those are one of the column header names in vanilla's condition_gen_data.csv, it doesn't add anything to its list and generates the empty world as a result.

This also explains why, as Alex said earlier, the vanilla cryovolcanic worlds work fine. Their planet type is simply "cryovolcanic" so they pass the first check and correctly use the "cryovolcanic" column to generate their conditions without even checking for their "cat_cryovolcanic" planet category. It's really too bad that the column isn't named "cat_cryovolcanic" because it looks like that would have worked in both cases.

Ohh boy... Thanks for the heads up, this was really going to take a while to find on my own  :-\

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile

Update v0.9.2

- Fixes the Cryovolcanic and Lava planets added by this mod, stopping them from being used by the game while generating new systems.

They WILL still appear in FDS systems, as they are added by code.
This will NOT fix existing saves, you must create a new save for your panets to be fixed.

Insigar

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Don't know if I missed something but the Astromech Factory doesn't really do anything except producing astromechs (so no increased ship quality or something like that). So either it's working in the background without me noticing or it's not working at all. 

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile

Don't know if I missed something but the Astromech Factory doesn't really do anything except producing astromechs (so no increased ship quality or something like that). So either it's working in the background without me noticing or it's not working at all. 

The droid factory produces droids, the "Repair Yards" take in droids and increases ship quality, two different facilities

Insigar

• Ensign
    • View Profile

The droid factory produces droids, the "Repair Yards" take in droids and increases ship quality, two different facilities

I should read what I write before I post, sorry.

I build both and didn't see an increase in ship quality. So the factory produces the droids and the repair yards don't do anything. Just asking into the blue now: Do I need a nanoforge or an AI core in any of these buildings for this to work properly?

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile

The quality increase is not that high, only 25%, the AI cores only reduce upkeep cost and/or droids' demand, depending on the core you install.

The 25% increase may not be that noticeable, personally I've seen a slight increase of ships that don't have many d-mods, although if a colony is low in size and does not have many industries on it 25% aren't going to do much, me thinks...

I can do some further testing to see if it is actually working or not, but as it is, it should be working from the tests I've done.
The code is equal to that of the industries that increase ship quality as well, so I'm 99% sure the facility is working as it should.

If I find anything wrong with the repair yards you can count on it being emntioned in the next update heh xD

Insigar

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Good news, it DOES work. It just doesn't tell you. Without the repair yards I get the 90% like it says.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile

Ahhh, interesting....
I'll look for the reason it is not being mentioned in that list, the percentage not appearing anywhere is confusing. Thanks for the feedback!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18