Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: [0.8a] Better Beginning v0.3 - Create the Story!  (Read 84483 times)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8a] Better Beginning v0.2 - Broaden your options!
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2017, 11:34:06 PM »

It's just an excuse to have a Pirate start that is not a slog in a Hound D plus a Mudskipper MK.2

Yeah, true. As previously mentioned, I'd love to give the player the option to start as a Buffalo MkII (or at least with one), and if that's not good enough for people then I'll give them the Front Shield Generator hullmod to stick on it too.

adimetro00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2017, 09:16:32 PM »

Are there any frigs that should not be given to the player at the start of the game? Like the Afflictor, for instance.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2017, 09:27:04 PM »

Are there any frigs that should not be given to the player at the start of the game? Like the Afflictor, for instance.

As far as I want to keep the game starts balanced, definitely. I'm not including any phase-ships (Afflictor and Shade), and also rare ships like the Hyperion and Omen. The Tempest was the limit of what I would consider allowing the player to start with, but even that is pretty damn powerful and may be removed when I get to overhauling this mod.

Hussar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2017, 09:35:17 PM »

As far as I want to keep the game starts balanced, definitely. I'm not including any phase-ships (Afflictor and Shade), and also rare ships like the Hyperion and Omen. The Tempest was the limit of what I would consider allowing the player to start with, but even that is pretty damn powerful and may be removed when I get to overhauling this mod.

I hope you'll remove it. Tempest is definitely too strong to be a starter ship. It's also a rarity on the markets so it feels like cheating to have it as starter option.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2017, 09:51:18 PM »

I hope you'll remove it. Tempest is definitely too strong to be a starter ship. It's also a rarity on the markets so it feels like cheating to have it as starter option.

Yeah. I think the problem was that I was judging its rarity by how often I see it in Independent and TT patrols - not that uncommon. But still a lot rarer than a bunch of other ships.

Hussar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2017, 10:59:07 PM »

Well, if to judge rarity by these standards, the galaxy is overflown with Monitors apparently. But I've never ever seen one on the market :P

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2017, 11:26:30 PM »

Well, if to judge rarity by these standards, the galaxy is overflown with Monitors apparently. But I've never ever seen one on the market :P

Hehe, true that. Speaking of, would people be against having the Monitor as a starting option? If only for the collectability - it certainly isn't overpowered.

Hussar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2017, 11:52:41 PM »

Actually I think it would be a great option. After all, we got the wolf which is (supposed to be rarer btw) an offensive frigate, while Lasher is super universal. Monitor is heavy on a defense, and it's the slowest. There's nothing OP in it really i'd say (codex description is actually suggesting the opposite :P ).

Also I was thinking, since you're adding 'destroyer' category. How you'd feel about letting player to start in condor (with talon's and piranha's)? It's destroyer sized after all, hence the thought. That would fill the last gap giving a full range of starting paths.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:54:15 PM by Hussar »

McTrigger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2017, 11:55:06 PM »

Well, to be honest. A new player is rather not going to install the mod on his first day of playing starsector.

Ahem, I did. First hour even.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2017, 12:04:43 AM »

Be careful then.  :-\ It's easy to get caught out.

Personally I recommend players spend time in vanilla before trying mods. And that goes for every game, not just Starsector. But then again, we can't stop you if you'd rather see what mods have to offer. And I won't lie, Starsector's modding community is exceptional.  ;)

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2017, 05:24:24 AM »

Yeah. I think the problem was that I was judging its rarity by how often I see it in Independent and TT patrols - not that uncommon. But still a lot rarer than a bunch of other ships.
it also has the credits cost of a light cruiser!

although, personally, i feel that's not quite justified. Tempest is great, but it shouldn't cost more than a Scarab, Medusa, or Falcon. same goes for the phase frigates.

welcome to the forum and to the game, then. ^^

Personally I recommend players spend time in vanilla before trying mods. And that goes for every game, not just Starsector. But then again, we can't stop you if you'd rather see what mods have to offer. And I won't lie, Starsector's modding community is exceptional.  ;)
i agree on all of these points. :]

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2017, 05:49:10 AM »

[...] it certainly isn't overpowered.
Is it?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:36:51 AM by Tartiflette »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2017, 06:10:03 AM »

Hehe, true that. Speaking of, would people be against having the Monitor as a starting option? If only for the collectability - it certainly isn't overpowered.
Nexerelin had the Monitor as the own faction/free start solo starting frigate for a while. IIRC it was considered very annoying due to the difficulty involved in killing anything else with such a slow, undergunned ship. (Now it's been replaced with Centurion, which probably isn't an improvement).
Monitor work quite well as a wingman option; distract enemies while player ship does the killing.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Hussar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2017, 06:30:45 AM »

[...] it certainly isn't overpowered.
Is it?

Spoiler
Holyshiet!

Now we know why it isn't being sold to the player in 0.8!!!
[close]
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:32:54 AM by Hussar »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6