Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: [0.8a] Better Beginning v0.3 - Create the Story!  (Read 84507 times)

Shodan13

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8a] Better Beginning v0.3 - Create the Story!
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2017, 09:27:07 AM »

Ideally I'd love to see the game officially have a point based system where you can buy your starting ships, weapons, officers, skills and faction relations.

Perhaps, but if you gave the player X number of points and then allowed them to spend those to buy ships/weapons/officers/change relations/etc. then the system will undoubtedly end up being cheesed by people, say, putting all their points into a phase ship or something and either A) stomping the entire early-game or B) running out of supplies and raging at the game for being dumb.

It would have to be a carefully metered mechanic, and even then may end up causing more confusion (with yet another number the player has to keep track of) than is worth it. If I was to use such a format for Better Beginning, I'd present it as an initial number of credits that the player can spend to buy ships and additional weapons/goods (from a limited selection), similar to how you might choose to play in a normal game if you skip the tutorial, but through the game creation process.
Maybe having the vanilla as the recommended option with the points system unlocking after one playthrough?

I don't think the balance is a huge concern, it's a sandbox and if you want to cheese it, you will always be able to. This would just make for interesting playthoughs without the extra busywork at the beginning, like setting all factions to negative opinions or going full merchant.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2017, 07:19:18 PM »

Maybe having the vanilla as the recommended option with the points system unlocking after one playthrough?

Hmm, perhaps. I think the setup for forcing you to play the campaign tutorial first time works on something like this, and has a reference of some kind in the rules.csv. Could bear a little research.

I don't think the balance is a huge concern, it's a sandbox and if you want to cheese it, you will always be able to.

I thoroughly disagree with this. If you want to be able to pick from any and every ship, weapon and then screw around with faction relationships, you're looking at the wrong mod.

I hold balance in extremely high esteem. Sure, Starsector is somewhat a "sandbox" game in the sense that it's a story-less open world game. That doesn't mean balance isn't relevant. If anything it makes it more important because there are no missions or stories or quests that the player does in a particular order that would otherwise affect their progression. You start small and weak, you have awesome adventures and epic battles, and you get bigger and stronger - that's the point of Starsector IMHO. If you were to start the player with top-end stuff, suddenly there's no progression whatever and you're just flying around stomping stuff.

If that's the way you prefer to play, then I can't argue with that, but once again this is not the mod for that. Better Beginning's objective is just to add a little more variety and focus to the ship selection at the start of a game. Sorry, but that's the way it is. If you want to cheese the early-game, I can only point you in the direction of Console Commands if you haven't already tried it.

This would just make for interesting playthoughs without the extra busywork at the beginning, like setting all factions to negative opinions or going full merchant.

Contrary to the above, this is an objective of this mod. As yet I don't know how to change faction relationships, but suggesting more specific roles for your game is definitely something I want to encourage.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 07:20:56 PM by AxleMC131 »

PyroFuzz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2017, 01:13:15 PM »

I feel like it would be nice to be able to integrate this mod into Nexerelin. I honestly like this kind better: You would choose a faction and then choose your ships rather than a set load out of ships you have to choose from.
Hello!

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2017, 09:35:13 PM »

I feel like it would be nice to be able to integrate this mod into Nexerelin. I honestly like this kind better: You would choose a faction and then choose your ships rather than a set load out of ships you have to choose from.

You do know that there's an option to randomize the starting ships in Nexerelin, right? And there's no limit to how much you reroll the ships - you can spam the button until you get a fleet you like the look of. :P

I should say though, that this mod is technically discontinued and soon enough will be officially so. I'm working on a spiritual successor that will be far, far more exciting and original.  ;D Though Nex compatibility has yet to be attempted or even theorized so far.

dk1332

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2017, 05:16:52 AM »

You do know that there's an option to randomize the starting ships in Nexerelin, right? And there's no limit to how much you reroll the ships - you can spam the button until you get a fleet you like the look of. :P

There's actually has a limit on what ships you get on the randomization. Nex uses a list of ships for each faction (even the player faction and solo mode) to be generated as starting ships. It just depends if you want to change it yourself.

I'm working on a spiritual successor that will be far, far more exciting and original. 

:o

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2017, 04:20:28 AM »

There's actually has a limit on what ships you get on the randomization. Nex uses a list of ships for each faction (even the player faction and solo mode) to be generated as starting ships. It just depends if you want to change it yourself.
you can always just use the Console Commands mod to create your own custom start, if you feel like it. that's what i usually do, and it only takes a couple of minutes. :]

Szasz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2021, 06:22:07 PM »

I wonder if this works on 9.1 if I choose to ban Nexerelin.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2021, 01:13:26 AM »

I highly doubt this mod will work with 0.9, though you are welcome to try. As this mod was discontinued in 2017 however I can’t say how it might screw things up if it even starts enabled.

With all that aside, there is really no reason to use Better Beginning over Nexerelin. The latter does much the same job far better and more smoothly, and has a much more established history. If you want to just avoid certain features Nex comes with, I’m sure you can toggle those things in the mod’s settings file.

(In aside, it is technically against the forum rules to necro old threads like this, though the context is relevant. In future, feel free to PM such questions.)

Szasz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2021, 09:02:14 AM »

I highly doubt this mod will work with 0.9, though you are welcome to try. As this mod was discontinued in 2017 however I can’t say how it might screw things up if it even starts enabled.

With all that aside, there is really no reason to use Better Beginning over Nexerelin. The latter does much the same job far better and more smoothly, and has a much more established history. If you want to just avoid certain features Nex comes with, I’m sure you can toggle those things in the mod’s settings file.

(In aside, it is technically against the forum rules to necro old threads like this, though the context is relevant. In future, feel free to PM such questions.)

Thanks a lot!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]