Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32

Author Topic: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ  (Read 382683 times)

writeru

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ
« Reply #285 on: August 27, 2019, 08:12:20 PM »

Hey guys, I'm having trouble at trying to use mods. They are not appearing on the launcher.

I did allocate more ram for the mods first. Then I downloaded some mods and extracted on the mods folders.

But as I mentioned, they don't appear on launcher.

Just for test reasons I deleted everything in the mods folders and extracted only lazylib,  it's like this now.

https://puu.sh/Eaqm1/ff045fc92f.png

you can see that there is no extra folder, it's my computer/HD/mods/modsname

What is happening?  I did delete the .rar archive after extracting it, so it's not on the mods folders.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 28, 2019, 12:35:53 AM »

Normally the Starsector folder should be inside a folder called "Fractal Softworks", in your Programs folder. ??? Did you move the game files after installing? Not saying that's the reason mods aren't appearing in the launcher, but it might help narrow it down.

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 28, 2019, 08:15:03 AM »

You can do two things.

One, abandon the colony RIGHT after killing off a raid. You can re-settle it later when you either have a better fleet, or can wipe out the Hegemony in the area and have enough cash to settle and pay for several military bases so that you can secure the system as your own.

Two, take a commission with the Hegemony. If your commissioned, you can colonize worlds in the same faction your commissioned with no problem.

The other thing you can do, which you probably can't do if your fleet is too weak to fight off hegemony saturation bomb fleets, is to go to Hegemony's military planets and disrupt / raid them if they have a orbital works. If they have a pristine nanoforge, raid them. This will take the forge from them, drastically dropping the quality of their ships. Disrupting their orbital / heavy industry completely means they will, at best, send *** Venture fleets at you which you SHOULD be able to kill off, and after the disruption ends, you should be making enough money to afford to invest into your colonies.

Hope that helps.
Hm yes that helped did help a bit, sounds like I'll have abandon it. There is a pretty good pay out since what I was doing was soft turtle with this colony, pretty much invested in industries and got back most of my monies worth from them before this final raid. I didn't invest into defenses (for this 2nd colony) in any way cause I thought I could keep fighting the overtime bomb fleets and that I had no (strong/relevant unlike prate and Ludic path) enemies yet.

Still have the 2nd problem/question of basically about why they can do that no problem in the first place. See original post for my full question on that.

Yeah its inconsistent, but my "lore" behind it is when you, the player, saturation bomb its like a start up colony deciding to nuke America. Its just seen as "wrong" because your this little weakling new to the galactic scene, and if you do it to one person, what stops you from doing it to others?

If you don't have a colony, even worse; your a upstart who is trying to destroy the status quo which unites the other factions against you.

TL;DR they have a bigger stick and more money then you so they hate you for trying to take them down a peg.

But yeah, personally, I understand your gripe; it makes no sense that they can sat bomb you but they don't do anything to the Independents, and sat bombing in general nets you HUGE debuffs but no debuffs for them.

Game logic is all I can say.

writeru

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 28, 2019, 08:46:18 AM »

Normally the Starsector folder should be inside a folder called "Fractal Softworks", in your Programs folder. ??? Did you move the game files after installing? Not saying that's the reason mods aren't appearing in the launcher, but it might help narrow it down.

I didn't move it. I installed it directly into my backup drive. Actually I think that was the problem, after trying some things I decided to unistall the game and install it again on my main drive and I managed to make the mods appear. So it looks like somehow installing the game in another place caused it?

But anyway, it's solved now. Thanks for the game, it's great!

GigaVivian

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 29, 2019, 06:03:16 PM »

Yeah its inconsistent, but my "lore" behind it is when you, the player, saturation bomb its like a start up colony deciding to nuke America. Its just seen as "wrong" because your this little weakling new to the galactic scene, and if you do it to one person, what stops you from doing it to others?

If you don't have a colony, even worse; your a upstart who is trying to destroy the status quo which unites the other factions against you.

TL;DR they have a bigger stick and more money then you so they hate you for trying to take them down a peg.

But yeah, personally, I understand your gripe; it makes no sense that they can sat bomb you but they don't do anything to the Independents, and sat bombing in general nets you HUGE debuffs but no debuffs for them.

Game logic is all I can say.

Ah thanks again, makes things seem a little better with that point but still a little of an unfair problem. Even gameplay-wise it's so the player can't pick out the best planets as soon as they become de-civilized naturally. As, if my colony was left to be, it was easily going to be one of the (single, not joint) best food producing planets in the sector, with almost no defences needed as the Hegemony were friendly big brothers to me. But nah unless you are actually part of their Family (commissioned by them); They will have NONE of the player starting a new colony in "their" system... Any other faction, even pirate planets in "our system" we will just give a hard time, but not BOMB their whole populated planet like we would to the player. DX

Also your TL;DR and the situation, makes the factions sound like a buncha Si-Fi Yakuza clans butting heads but only freaking out on the clanless new big-heads that poke their heads into their big-boy turf systems. XD

Hmhm but all horribly unfair stuff like this makes choosing to destroy them all to end a playthrough, all the more satisfying. >:D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 06:04:57 PM by GigaVivian »

Irlbbbagt

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 08, 2019, 08:55:27 PM »

This might be the wrong place to ask this but I'll give it a try.

I recently stumbled upon this game and it looks really cool.  However, I am a bit sensitive about my digital privacy and don't like software data mining, phoning home, tracking, etc.  I tried to find the EULA for Starsector but couldn't, so I figured I'd ask;

Are there any privacy concerns with Starsector?

Based on what I've seen I doubt it, but it's good to know for sure.  Thanks for the help!

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 08, 2019, 11:39:47 PM »

I tried to find the EULA for Starsector but couldn't, so I figured I'd ask;

Are there any privacy concerns with Starsector?

I'd be highly surprised. The only information the game gets from you (aside from whatever mods you install and changes you make to the config) is your access key when you first launch the game after installing it. It's a small development team and they're very highly respected by the community, in general.

Regardless, if it helps settle your thoughts, I'll upload the license file included in the game's core files for you to peruse. https://bitbucket.org/AxleMC131/starsector_modding/downloads/LICENSE.txt

Irlbbbagt

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 14, 2019, 01:11:57 PM »

I'd be highly surprised. The only information the game gets from you (aside from whatever mods you install and changes you make to the config) is your access key when you first launch the game after installing it. It's a small development team and they're very highly respected by the community, in general.

Regardless, if it helps settle your thoughts, I'll upload the license file included in the game's core files for you to peruse. https://bitbucket.org/AxleMC131/starsector_modding/downloads/LICENSE.txt

Thanks for the answer and the eula!  I think I'll give the game a try.

easytarget

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 17, 2019, 10:38:35 AM »

Just picked up the game and plan to dive in tonight.

I know in advance I'll have a bunch of simple questions that have been asked countless times and would love to be steered to a sub-forum if one exists where noobs can ask and get answered the same obvious questions that have been asked before w/o cluttering up and annoying folks who've seen'em all before. ;)

And if this is that place just let me know.

Edit: Ok, well, don't mind me I'll just let myself out.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 05:42:38 PM by easytarget »
This space intentionally left blank.

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 17, 2019, 06:02:32 PM »

Just picked up the game and plan to dive in tonight.

I know in advance I'll have a bunch of simple questions that have been asked countless times and would love to be steered to a sub-forum if one exists where noobs can ask and get answered the same obvious questions that have been asked before w/o cluttering up and annoying folks who've seen'em all before. ;)

And if this is that place just let me know.

Edit: Ok, well, don't mind me I'll just let myself out.

This is basically it, but id steer you towards the Unofficial Discord.

It has a channel called #newcommer-academy and is used a lot (and tends to be answered really quickly) about general questions. The tutorial(s) and missions ingame should give you a head start, and ill also point you towards JDCollie's tutorials on youtube (they are pretty in depth and he has a new player lets play that shows a proof of concept of how to play the game from the very start) which can be located on his youtube channel here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiEiC0lXiqcZYsBQC3ts0UA

easytarget

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 17, 2019, 09:05:04 PM »

Thanks man!!  Appreciate it.
This space intentionally left blank.

neverpayingforthisgame

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 29, 2019, 09:38:23 AM »

is there any *** way to know if a inhabited planet/station can trade before *** spendinbg all your fuel and supplies getting there only to it being a useless try tachion colony?

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 29, 2019, 09:46:06 AM »

is there any *** way to know if a inhabited planet/station can trade before *** spendinbg all your fuel and supplies getting there only to it being a useless try tachion colony?

Umm.

You can check by looking up the star map and hovering over where you are heading; it will show you the color of the colonies, which blue being Tri Tachyon, orange being Hegemony, yellow being Persean League, etc. If thats not enough, you can hold left click and then open star map (I think thats what its called) and you can then hover of a colony and it will tell you what faction it is.

SlaveToArmok

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 09, 2019, 02:07:12 AM »

Can someone explain to me how production/import/export actually work? I just checked my colonies and my main planet produces 10 ore, uses 8 in refining but the tooltip says it still exports 10 units of ore?
Also, what counts as "the highest local source of supply"?

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 09, 2019, 05:26:34 AM »

Can someone explain to me how production/import/export actually work? I just checked my colonies and my main planet produces 10 ore, uses 8 in refining but the tooltip says it still exports 10 units of ore?
Also, what counts as "the highest local source of supply"?

The economy is simplified.

By that I mean instead of producing x goods then consuming x goods, your industries produce and DEMAND things instead. By that I mean if you produce 6 metals, and a industry demands 6 metals, you have satisfied the demand of the industry that needed 6 metal.

For example, patrol station needs 2 heavy armaments and your heavy industry makes 2 heavy armaments; this supplies the demand of the patrol station so it works at 100 percent, but the heavy industry can ALSO ship out that 2 heavy armaments because it meets the demand of the patrol station, not the consumption. Aka the items the heavy industry makes are not CONSUMED, they are DEMANDED.

This, theoretically, means if you have a planet that makes enough products in its industry to fulfill the demand of ALL INDUSTRIES of ALL your planets, you no longer need to import, which saves costs; which also ties into the "highest local source of supply"; aka the planet you own that gives the highest level of goods that supplies your demands. If you don't have a planet that supplies enough goods to meet the demands of another planet you own, you will instead import; which reduces profits.

JDCollie does an entire video on it that explains it better here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDnQ-ZiFyEk&t=1640s
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32