Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32

Author Topic: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ  (Read 382697 times)

MattD

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ
« Reply #210 on: October 18, 2017, 05:14:44 PM »

Is there any way to increase the chance I'll be able to recover my defeated opponent's ships after combat? Are certain weapons more likely to result in disabled versus destroyed ships, and is there any way to increased the odds that a disabled ship will be recoverable?

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 18, 2017, 09:52:42 PM »

Is there any way to increase the chance I'll be able to recover my defeated opponent's ships after combat? Are certain weapons more likely to result in disabled versus destroyed ships, and is there any way to increased the odds that a disabled ship will be recoverable?

Via combat methods, there's no way to ensure a ship you kill will be salvageable. However, there are several character skills in the Industry tree that affect this very thing! I'm fuzzy on the names of each one, but there's definitely one that increases the recovery chance of hostile and friendly ships and weapons in post-combat.

Not sure if there are any ways other than that in-game, but if it's still not enough for you, I believe there is a setting in the game config that allows you to set the chance of ships being recoverable to whatever you want.

MattD

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 22, 2017, 07:17:15 AM »

Via combat methods, there's no way to ensure a ship you kill will be salvageable. However, there are several character skills in the Industry tree that affect this very thing! I'm fuzzy on the names of each one, but there's definitely one that increases the recovery chance of hostile and friendly ships and weapons in post-combat.

Not sure if there are any ways other than that in-game, but if it's still not enough for you, I believe there is a setting in the game config that allows you to set the chance of ships being recoverable to whatever you want.

Great, thank you! I do have that Industry skill--level 2 of Recovery Operations--but wasn't sure if it applied to disabled enemy ships, or just my own. And I had just had successive bounty fights against a Paragon, an Astral, and two Cathedral ships, with none recoverable. :'( So I was grumpy and wondering if I could be doing something more. But I've been happy with the vanilla power curve, so don't want to change settings. I'll just keep at it until I get lucky.

Cheers!

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 22, 2017, 01:44:46 PM »

No problem, happy to help.  ;)

Shuka

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 01, 2018, 10:12:13 AM »

This is probably the wrong place to ask, but I tried googling this info and searching the forums and I can't figure it out.

I am having some trouble with kill fleets, I can beat them but its very difficult and I usually lose a couple few destroyers. Its gotten to the point where I just try to outrun them because it seems like no matter how many I kill, another is right around the corner.

Are they part of the base game or is it something introduced by a mod? Is there a way to disable them? Thanks for any info. Its a great challenge but it seems way too frequent.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 01, 2018, 11:18:05 AM »

Pretty sure they're introduced by a mod. Nexelerin i believe.

I don't see anything about Vengeance Fleets in the official patch notes but i do see stuff there. Vengeance Fleets should be relatively rare(If you kill them) because killing them doens't count to add to their spawning. But if you don't kill the fleet its still coming for you... unless it kills you i believe.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 01, 2018, 04:27:27 PM »

"Vengeance Fleets" and "Kill Fleets" are a part of the Nexerelin mod. As you may have noticed, they start spawning when you're hostile enough to a faction. AFAIK they recently got their spawn rates nerfed, but can still be a tough opponent. If you aren't comfortable fighting them, then there's no shame in running away. They meant to punish you for making lots of enemies - perhaps try making some friends in the sector and using their fleets to back you up?

Otherwise, if you want to remove the mechanic entirely, I think you can go into Nexerelin's mod folder and find "exerelin_config.json", open it with something like Notepad, and set the "enableRevengeFleets" value to 0 (it defaults to 2):

Code
"enableRevengeFleets" = 2,  # 0 = disabled, 1 = only on hard mode, 2 = always (point generation halved on not-hard)

Hope this helps!

Spoiler
<-- Not an authority on editing config files, especially mod ones.
[close]

Shuka

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 06, 2018, 10:34:21 AM »

Thank you very much guys, vengeance fleets is definitely what it was.

And you were right about relations, I started with an SRA commission and they were constantly fighting with other factions till they had only 1 market (planet) left.

I started desperately capping every pirate and junk pirate port in an attempt to keep my faction alive, and every pirate market captured gave me +5 rep to their enemies, and lo and behold things quieted down when relations with everyone crept into "inhospitable."

I did disable the kill fleets though, they were coming one right after the other, at some point 2 were chasing me and I said frig this.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 10:38:34 AM by Shuka »

kaeden_dourhand

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 14, 2018, 02:12:59 AM »

Hi, I'm a new player, picked up this game to scatch my mount and blade itch. I was recommended to play vanilla first before diving into the mods. The question is, when should I switch to using mods?

I've done a lot of prospecting/surveying and returned to civilization with over a million credits in the bank, enough to buy the hegemony's prized battleship if I wanted to. What are some of the 'end game' activities you can pursue? Blow up one of those remnant battlestations? Is it possible to conquer other systems? I'm not bad at setting goals for myself (like in warband), but the game isn't really telling me what's possible to do out there. I'd like to give some of the late game stuff a shot before I switch to modded content.

Cheers!

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 14, 2018, 03:17:15 AM »

Once you've beaten maxed out remnant battlestation, there are no other significant challenges vanilla can offer.
Conquering systems is something you can do in Nexelerin, not vanilla.

Spess Mahren

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 01, 2018, 04:12:20 PM »

Does anyone know the details of the travel drive in combat mechanic? Sometimes my ship enters via a full travel drive, sometimes the drive suddenly cuts out, in others it never activates in the first place. I can't seem to piece it together on my own.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 01, 2018, 05:37:59 PM »

There was a problem with ships colliding with asteroids while burning in, so now they cut their travel drive early if there is an obstacle. Also, the first wave of ships spawn farther forward than successive waves.

Spess Mahren

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 11, 2018, 04:14:58 PM »

Is there any guides on how to pilot ships with broadsides and/or omni-shields? I just can't to seem to grasp how to do it while still being in control, right now I just end up flailing and relying entirely on auto fire. Advice would be nice if there isn't any kind of guide anywhere.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 11, 2018, 04:46:47 PM »

I just end up flailing and relying entirely on auto fire.
That sounds about right!  Generally speaking, there are two ways to go with omni shielded ships: put everything on autofire, or spend most of your time treating it as a front shield that you can, in an emergency, rotate to cover other directions (at which point, well, it's an emergency - the fact that you aren't getting useful weapons fire at the same time isn't relevant.)

I'll also note that, especially for larger ships, it's often faster to turn your shield off and then back on in a different direction than to wait for it to rotate.

For an example: the Aurora has a 180 omni shield.  If I don't have a front shield conversion installed, I generally play as if that were a 180 front shield, using the normal rotate-ship-to-point-at-cursor gameplay, and only adjusting shield angle in special cases.  Back when the wolf had an omni shield, I'd do the same, only adjusting it when there were salamanders incoming.

By contrast, ships like the Conquest, I tend to worry about navigation & shield positioning, and leave weapons control down to "what enemy ship do I have targeted" and "which weapon groups have I turned on or off".
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 11, 2018, 05:15:09 PM »

Piloting ships with omni shields can be tricky, maybe awkward if you do not use keyboard for movement (or if you have small hands), but it can be done with practice, and it works great if you can do it.  Such ships tend to strafe and rely on momentum to glide, not unlike playing and using trick moves in a classic FPS.  Probably as tricky as... punching out the cyberdemon in MAP32 in Doom2.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32