Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32

Author Topic: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ  (Read 382695 times)

dk1332

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ
« Reply #180 on: December 06, 2016, 06:34:21 PM »

In that case I suggest long range weaponry, like tactical lasers, rail guns, maulers, gauss cannons, etc. That way even if they try to attack you, you can keep up the pressure. Alternatively, you can use strike weapons like phase lances to quickly punish them when they get in close. Yet another alternative is to use fighters; if you have Diable installed, then you have a huge variety of useful fighter wings which can distract and hurt such hit and run tactics, just make sure you have a carrier on hand.

I'll try some of those weapons...though I avoid using gauss cannons. As for fighters. I am using them as part of my swarming tactics. I even use phase bombers and 3-4 Valiant fighter wings with 6 frost wings and a lot of broadswords but they can still get away with little scratches here and there.

Anyway, I think should stop posting here and make a thread of my own.

Seth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 02, 2017, 02:53:49 PM »

Two quick question:
1. Is there a way to set by default maximum camera zoom out in combat somewhere in config files or settings?
2. What's the general idea after fleet cap differentiation in combat? Like, say, why every combat doesn't start with 150/150 fleet cap if mine and enemy fleets can't be deployed in full, rather advantage of deployment points goes to one with bigger fleet? Isn't it a little unbalanced?

BobHound

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 10, 2017, 12:02:16 AM »

Hello!

After a long time not playing, I've returned to have a look. I really enjoy everything that's been added over the years! I'm trying to get back into the ol' Onslaught and have been raising my reputation with the Hegemony slowly (at 50 atm.). I keep reading about "commissions" and that they're available from military stations in the Hegemony, but I can't find them. Are they random spawns? Do they require a certain reputation or fleet size to get? No matter where I go I can't seem to get one from the hegemony! What gives?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 10, 2017, 01:11:53 AM »

Hello!

After a long time not playing, I've returned to have a look. I really enjoy everything that's been added over the years! I'm trying to get back into the ol' Onslaught and have been raising my reputation with the Hegemony slowly (at 50 atm.). I keep reading about "commissions" and that they're available from military stations in the Hegemony, but I can't find them. Are they random spawns? Do they require a certain reputation or fleet size to get? No matter where I go I can't seem to get one from the hegemony! What gives?
You need a certain amount of rep and then you need to click on the coms option (press 1 when you first land on a heg planet) and then select the mission tab. The commission should in the list of missions
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

BobHound

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 10, 2017, 02:50:43 AM »

Huh! I'm currently at 50 positive rep, and have checked the mission tabs on several planets! It's always just different transport / procurement missions.

Edit: I figured it out! I assumed my downloaded 0.7 version was up to date, which it was not. Now I am commissioned to the Hegemony. Onslaught here I come!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 03:32:35 AM by BobHound »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 10, 2017, 12:30:49 PM »

Huh! I'm currently at 50 positive rep, and have checked the mission tabs on several planets! It's always just different transport / procurement missions.

Edit: I figured it out! I assumed my downloaded 0.7 version was up to date, which it was not. Now I am commissioned to the Hegemony. Onslaught here I come!
Get version checke and you shall never miss another update again!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 25, 2017, 12:48:55 PM »

Um, I made dis.
Spoiler
[close]
I'll make tomorrow corrected version again right now, hopefully it's final.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #187 on: April 25, 2017, 09:44:00 PM »

Um, I made dis.
Ha, nice quick guide!
And nice subtle commentary about how half the missile weapons on wiki are still missing their images

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2017, 12:53:26 AM »

Fun fact: I was tired when correcting it for the last time and I tried to download atropos rack from wiki. Except there wasn't one.  :P
I'm thinking about making page by page guide to ships, but I think it's best to make separate page for civilian ships comparison, while combat ships will remain on ship-size pages.
I don't think I'm much more awake right now...

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 26, 2017, 04:06:03 AM »

My goodness I love that @SCC. XD

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2017, 01:39:37 PM »

Spoiler
[close]
Mudskipper pls

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 27, 2017, 02:02:19 PM »

Handy chart! I knew I was a fan of the Colossus for a reason!

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2017, 02:23:47 PM »

Sorta low burn, but overall best or second best in efficiency. What saddens me though is that mule and gemini have very low efficiency. Wayfarer is 2/3 as efficient as Shepherd (the closest to combat vs dedicated frigate freighter), while mule and gemini are roughly 36% and 28% as efficient in comparison to buffalo/tarsus. Even at 0.5 ratio they should have 350 and 450 capacity or 5 supply upkeep. I'm not sure if 2 mules could compare in combat capacity to one combat destroyer, though 2 geminis have a better chance... except their monthly maintenance is bigger than that of 2 hammerheads. Perhaps it's bugging just me.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 27, 2017, 02:32:24 PM »

Very good chart!

What saddens me though is that mule and gemini have very low efficiency. Wayfarer is 2/3 as efficient as Shepherd (the closest to combat vs dedicated frigate freighter), while mule and gemini are roughly 36% and 28% as efficient in comparison to buffalo/tarsus.

That's not a fair comparison, though. Shepherd(drones+salvage&surveying) and Wayfarer (weapons) are both far from dedicated freighters, there are just none of those on the frigate tier. So it's not that Mule and Gemini are inefficient for half-freighters, they are just the first tier that can be directly compared to dedicated freighters.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 27, 2017, 03:24:43 PM »

Gemini could really use some shield efficiency or speed. It's terribly underwhelming and saddening to see if anything bad comes within the same zip code as it.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32