Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32

Author Topic: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ  (Read 382661 times)

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2015, 09:37:30 AM »

Well, you post....  :P

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2015, 09:08:35 AM »

Here's a tip I have:

If you find yourself in a bind with no money, no supplies and no fuel, and you have already liquidated all your exess assets like guns (I have found myself in this situation often lately), your crew are a great untapped resource.

I hit up a black market and sold all of my elite crew (sorry homies), to replace them with greenies (they'll level up), as well as enough left over money to restock so I could get a nearby bounty and get out of the hole I had slowly dug for myself.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2015, 03:25:46 AM »

Actually, a better tip for that would be 'always have a backup ship/fleet stored somewhere. In Eve terms, never fly what you can't afford to lose.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 07, 2015, 07:16:39 PM »

Actually, a better tip for that would be 'always have a backup ship/fleet stored somewhere. In Eve terms, never fly what you can't afford to lose.
That is at least half of the reason why early game is so difficult. The other half is that you are pretty much outnumbered initially, and have to find small bounty fleets, or else existing battles with bounty fleets. That, or try to trade, which is nearly futile.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

nuclear_ash

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 21, 2015, 12:34:21 PM »

How can I place a wing of slow-burning craft into fast-burning carrier? Citadel's craft from mod and Heron, for example.

sini002

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 22, 2015, 03:22:33 PM »

Heeeeeeeeeeeeelp meeeeeeeeeeee, i am unable to hire officers, whats required? i've got a wolf-class frigate with no captain so i thought i would get it an officer to test it out. But i can't hire any of the ones i find  :-\  ???

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 22, 2015, 03:27:47 PM »

you need to use the open a comm link button when docked with a station. each will have a few nonhelpful station personalities, the ones you are looking for say 'mercenary officer'

not every station will have them and they cost money to hire (in proportion to their level)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 22, 2015, 04:15:58 PM »

How can I place a wing of slow-burning craft into fast-burning carrier? Citadel's craft from mod and Heron, for example.

Don't think you can - wings move independent of the carrier at all times. Slow burn fightercraft is a strange design choice...

jakartablessed

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 26, 2015, 10:21:17 PM »

Quick question:

Why is it that when I buy 50 supplies at 54 credits each, the actual price (~611 credits) is far less than the nominal price I get by using a calculator (2700 credits)?

Adding units one at a time, I notice that the 50th unit adds just a few credits to the overall price, while the first unit adds the nominal price.

I'm not very good with math, so it took a while for me to notice this very unintuitive feature. What is going on here, and why?

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 26, 2015, 10:52:39 PM »

Quick question:

Why is it that when I buy 50 supplies at 54 credits each, the actual price (~611 credits) is far less than the nominal price I get by using a calculator (2700 credits)?

Adding units one at a time, I notice that the 50th unit adds just a few credits to the overall price, while the first unit adds the nominal price.

I'm not very good with math, so it took a while for me to notice this very unintuitive feature. What is going on here, and why?

The less the demand for the item, the lower the price. Stations buy at the highest price only one ton or a handful of tons of cargo. Slowly their need for the specific commodity lessens and along the money they offer for it.
Ignorance is bliss..

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 27, 2015, 03:22:58 AM »

Yep. The UI currently doesn't intuitively show this change in price. Best clue you have of this happening is when you double-check all of your transactions, which is annoying.
"On average, a human has one breast and one testicle"
- Vsauce, Michael here

jakartablessed

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 02, 2016, 01:58:45 AM »

Quick question:

The less the demand for the item, the lower the price. Stations buy at the highest price only one ton or a handful of tons of cargo. Slowly their need for the specific commodity lessens and along the money they offer for it.

Thanks, I figured it might be something like this. But I don't understand why it affects the price of things I purchase as well as things I sell. Not that I'm complaining about cheap supplies, exactly. I'd just love to know how it works.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 02, 2016, 02:07:30 AM »

Thanks, I figured it might be something like this. But I don't understand why it affects the price of things I purchase as well as things I sell. Not that I'm complaining about cheap supplies, exactly. I'd just love to know how it works.

In the next update an indication of how much you pay or get paid for each item will be added. So you will not have to do math thankfully anymore, since you will be able to see the amount you get paid for each item :)

This is a screenshot Alex shared;
Spoiler
[close]

You can see what I am talking about on the left, where it shows the current transaction~
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 02:10:43 AM by weltall »
Ignorance is bliss..

nitebullet

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 03, 2016, 11:59:47 AM »

copy pasted from my reddit post
/
Hi. I used to play the game back when it was called Starfarer (3.X). I would load up mods with different weapons and ships and go all guns blazing.

I started playing again since yesterday and I've been trying to learn new content. I've also set up myself with a couple of mods (Starsector+, Nexerelin and a few other faction mods).

here's my problem with the faction relationship feature:

I like trying out new military weapons and ships, but most of it are locked unless I have a good relationship with X faction. With 7 factions (including weapons and ships) I became irritated cause I did not have access right from the start. I have spent last 5 hours doing trades (as Blackrock Drive yard faction) to meet the relationship requirements, but the processs is just tedious and slow. I just can't see myself doing the same thing for all other factions just to try new weapons out...

Anyone care to help me out ?

Unbroken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 03, 2016, 12:23:14 PM »

copy pasted from my reddit post
/
Hi. I used to play the game back when it was called Starfarer (3.X). I would load up mods with different weapons and ships and go all guns blazing.

I started playing again since yesterday and I've been trying to learn new content. I've also set up myself with a couple of mods (Starsector+, Nexerelin and a few other faction mods).

here's my problem with the faction relationship feature:

I like trying out new military weapons and ships, but most of it are locked unless I have a good relationship with X faction. With 7 factions (including weapons and ships) I became irritated cause I did not have access right from the start. I have spent last 5 hours doing trades (as Blackrock Drive yard faction) to meet the relationship requirements, but the processs is just tedious and slow. I just can't see myself doing the same thing for all other factions just to try new weapons out...

Anyone care to help me out ?

In Nexerelin, the easiest way to raise your rep with a faction is to drop some money on Agents (they're the figures wearing blue, they'll be with the crew and marines in the trade window), then go to Special Functions (when docked to the faction you want to improve your rep with) > Deploy Agent > Raise Relations and hope you don't get a critical failure. Agents, from what I've seen, tend to be around 1000 credits/person.

This won't get you a commission directly, but if you're already in a faction and want access to another faction's stuff without actually joining them, raising your rep like this will increase the odds that the two will form an alliance. If they do, you are a winner - you automagically get a commission with any allies of your current faction.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32