Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32

Author Topic: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ  (Read 384626 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ
« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2014, 05:42:28 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, happy you're enjoying the game :) Nice to read the story of how you discovered it, that's pretty cool!

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2014, 01:51:22 PM »

I'll be eagerly suffering through the update cycles with everyone else from here on out.

We're glad to have you. If you've been around the block in the gaming-communities you might find that the little go-between we have here on the forum with the lead dev, Alex, is something fresh and we like it that way. :) Hope to see you around, feel at home, try out some mod compilations or start off with just one mod.. they're all /great/ quality and make Starsector feeling ever bigger when you finally master the vanilla.

Welcome to Starsector!

mebutinspace

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2015, 12:57:11 PM »

Quick question, apologies if its been answered before:

Do I need 1 flight deck per fighter wing? I tried using 2 fighters and 1 flight deck and one of my squadrons ran away. Is this because they need their own flight deck?

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2015, 01:16:42 PM »

Do I need 1 flight deck per fighter wing? I tried using 2 fighters and 1 flight deck and one of my squadrons ran away. Is this because they need their own flight deck?
No. Each flight deck can handle one fighter at any given time, and fighter groups are eliminated from the battle when the last active fighter in a fighter wing is destroyed if there are no fighters in that wing being prepared in a flight deck, being repaired in a flight deck, or being rearmed in a flight deck.

The number of flight decks you want to have depends a bit on the kinds of fighter groups you have. Piranhas, Daggers, and Tridents return to flight decks to rearm after every run, which means that using them requires that you provide a relatively large number of flight decks. Heavy fighters like the Xyphos and Gladius tend to stay on the field for a long time, and so place a relatively light load on your flight decks, and as a result you would tend to have a relatively small number of flight decks.

Getrax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 10, 2015, 07:36:45 PM »

New too, and so far im having a blast.

Im still struggling to keep my head over water, ive gotten a heavy cruiser, two destroyers, and a tanker, but it seems im not strong enough to tackle the really big bounties yet, but the smaller ones pay juuuuust enough so i can afford fuel and supplies..is there a way of making moneys easier, beside food shortages? I really really dont want to trade just so i can do pew pew.

Also, how is StarSector+? I´ve heard a lot of good, but is it worthwile as noob or does it ratchet up the difficulty even more?

Xanderzoo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 10, 2015, 07:37:42 PM »

Starsector+ is supposed to be more difficult, but I don't really think it is. I definitely think it's more fun--and it significantly improves the explosions. :)

merciless

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 10, 2015, 09:01:10 PM »

am sorta slow and new to the game... could someone please show me how to patch the game to the latest version?  will be much appreciated.  Wonderful game, I thank you.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 10, 2015, 09:07:46 PM »

Hi - you just go here, download the latest version for your system, and install it. There's no auto-updater or anything like that.

Shuka

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 11, 2015, 04:44:17 PM »

I have a question about burn speed on the campaign map. In addition x I had 1 capital ship and 1 tug that gave me a burn speed of 6, and when I buy an additional capital ship my burn speed drops to 5. So I buy another tug to get to burn speed of 6, but it stays at 5.

I also have overdrive shunts and the skill that gives burn speed to capital ships. My fleet probably has 8-10 other ships that are all at 6 burn or higher.

Is this because my fleet is so large? I figured 2 capital ships was probably pushing it, its just so much fun though haha.

Edit - I realized one of my cap ships was burn 4 and the other burn 5, and that explains that. Apologies
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 05:09:14 PM by Shuka »

Shuka

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 13, 2015, 04:55:21 PM »

I have another question (sorry for the double post)

When a bunch of messages pop up on the left side of the screen, sometimes I can't read all of them before they fade away. Some of them I can press "e" and pull up intel to read them, but not all of them appear there. Is there some way to read them after they fade? Or some way to make them not fade when I hit pause maybe?

Thanks in advance, and this game friggin rules. And so do the modders, what a nice community.

Also is it possible to take over stations like in nexerelin?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 05:21:30 PM by Shuka »

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 11, 2015, 07:28:42 AM »

I have a question about burn speed on the campaign map. In addition x I had 1 capital ship and 1 tug that gave me a burn speed of 6, and when I buy an additional capital ship my burn speed drops to 5. So I buy another tug to get to burn speed of 6, but it stays at 5.

I also have overdrive shunts and the skill that gives burn speed to capital ships. My fleet probably has 8-10 other ships that are all at 6 burn or higher.

Is this because my fleet is so large? I figured 2 capital ships was probably pushing it, its just so much fun though haha.

Edit - I realized one of my cap ships was burn 4 and the other burn 5, and that explains that. Apologies

Burn speed of the fleet = burn speed of slowest ship in the fleet.
Each tug accelerates the slowest ship in the fleet by +1.
Tugs no longer stack; a ship can only be accelerated by 1 tug.

KingHan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2015, 08:18:13 AM »

I'be looked around and searched in forums but I have not found any guide to how I can mine asteroids and gas giants? I equip mining lasers to my ships and select asteroids but nothing happens and I remember in previous versions all I had to do was select the asteroid. Then wait.

Do I have to have those mining pods too??

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 02, 2015, 08:21:38 AM »

There is no mining currently in the base game - there used to be a mod that implemented it, but it is out of date. I do not know whether the current large mods (SS+ and/or Nexerelin, Uomoz) have plans to put it in. They have not yet been updated for the latest version yet either (its only been a week or two :D)

KingHan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 02, 2015, 08:23:51 AM »

Oh you know what you're right. I remember now it was exelerin that had it. Thanks!!!

KingHan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 02, 2015, 08:25:35 AM »

How do I level up in forums? And can I see my progress somewhere?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32