Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32

Author Topic: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ  (Read 384196 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ
« Reply #435 on: November 11, 2021, 10:46:18 AM »

Yeah, "some distance away" is 3k to 12k. If it ever says "in the outer reaches" then just walk away.

TrailPhantom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 26, 2021, 10:26:27 AM »

This is an attempt to put common questions and answers in one place, along with as much wisdom as the group of us can come up with.  Please add/correct details as you can.  Thank you. 

Feel free to ask further questions.

Can my computer run the game?
Yes! Well, it's likely, Starsector is not a very demanding game. You should have a graphics card with at least 256MB of memory, better 512MB (onboard works). Users have reported well playable framerates with specs as low as a mobile 1.6 GHz dualcore and 1GB RAM. If you bought a mid-range PC or Laptop before 2008 you should be fine. This is of course not an official guarantee, only practical advice.

Is there a demo?
No, and at the moment there are no concrete plans to release one. This might change at some point in the future, though. To get a good impression of the game I would recommend one of the various let's plays on youtube, for example by faiter.

So i'm interested in buying the game. However these two things sort of concern me a bit. Mainly the type of thinking in the response to the concept of having a demo.
While reading the conceptual sys req's I'd assume I can probably run it. But one can't really be sure.
 Vram isn't actually the best indicator for GPU requirements. While it's certainly important, without knowing driver minimum compatibles (DirectX & OpenGL, etc.)
Having a demo available is not just about getting an impression of the game itself, outside of console demo's the factor of testing If/how well the game runs on your own system is a significant reason why people would want a demo.

From what it looks like though The Dev(s?) are pretty responsive in the forum here when it comes to technical issues. So Maybe i'll get solid answers before buying as to if the game will run okay for me.
If need be i can post my specs, but not sure if that should be in a separate thread.

Hopefully this doesn't come off rude, Just having a decade old computer comes with a lot of limitations. And i've definitely had some indie dev's just laugh and say "just get a better system".

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 26, 2021, 10:34:17 AM »

Yeah, "some distance away" is 3k to 12k. If it ever says "in the outer reaches" then just walk away.

Dunno, Alex just confirmed in another thread that even survey missions for "outer reaches" should have destination (probe, ship, whatever) be within some mean distance to a stellar object, so even the stuff in outer reaches should still be nearish to something, not literally on edge of map somewhere.  Although how near could vary based on radial orbits and stuff...
I wasn't always a Judge...

Jarolegon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 31, 2021, 12:28:51 AM »

I can't beat Forlorn Hope mission in new version. Tried multiple fits, including kiting tachyon lance sniper and plasma/autopulse brawlers, played with all old and some new approaches but i still lose. The biggest problem is dealing with onslaught, with ability to cancel burn drive he can be much more aggressive without ever overextending himself. And multiple buffs to eagle, falcon, dominator coupled with nerf to hardened shields don't help either. If anybody could record a video of successfully beating this mission in 0.95.1a i would really appreciate it.

AlexVBG

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 10, 2022, 09:14:55 PM »

Hello everyone.
I want to buy this great game, and I see this:
https://puu.sh/IBSX0/7970f1d43b.png
Is it easier to make a purchase?
I'm not talking about Steam, but at least just a page where you need to enter a mailbox -> redirect to the bank page with payment (only card, date, cvv) -> payment -> a letter with a key in the mail. No extra scary pages (I'm sure it scares people off).
Thank you.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 10, 2022, 11:44:50 PM »

I want to buy this great game, and I see this:
https://puu.sh/IBSX0/7970f1d43b.png
Is it easier to make a purchase?
No. Fractal Softworks is a truly tiny studio and Starsector is still a pre-alpha.

The benefit of their purchase system is its practically impossible to lose your key. We've seen customers that lost their installation key almost 10 years ago, come back to the game and successfully ask the company for their key back.

AlexVBG

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 11, 2022, 01:33:14 AM »

The benefit of their...
Is it important for someone? Except those 5-10 people who lost the game because of their own actions?
The ability to more easily purchase the game (preferably in 1 click) will increase the number of purchases and the number of users, which in turn will increase the community in all aspects, as well as add profits to the developer himself, which will allow him to hire more people and stop being, for example, a tiny studio.
That's what's important.
Obviously, this is not the only reason for the spread of the game, but as an ordinary user, I can see this right now.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 01:34:51 AM by AlexVBG »

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 11, 2022, 05:38:16 AM »

Is it important for someone? Except those 5-10 people who lost the game because of their own actions?
The ability to more easily purchase the game (preferably in 1 click) will increase the number of purchases and the number of users, which in turn will increase the community in all aspects, as well as add profits to the developer himself, which will allow him to hire more people and stop being, for example, a tiny studio.
That's what's important.
Obviously, this is not the only reason for the spread of the game, but as an ordinary user, I can see this right now.

It is just likely that Alex gets acceptable service without high transaction fees right now with this middleman. Switching to another middleman might just lose him money instead.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 11, 2022, 06:09:48 AM »

Perhaps it's the age-old adage that you don't fix what isn't broken.

Prae255

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 17, 2022, 05:37:56 AM »

Before starting off and running head-first into a wall, how chill is the game?
Is it "at your own pace, take your time"
or
"after X turns/days/time, you'll better be well equipped and have a decent build or you'll get steamrolled into oblivion."

Played my share sandbox games and some let you do whatever, where as others will punish you if you aren't ready at some arbitrarily predefined point.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 17, 2022, 05:54:20 AM »

There is no time pressure, no. Bounties might scale faster than you can do them, but you can always so something else, or get contacts from military bounties, where you can choose the difficulty.

Prae255

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 21, 2022, 12:22:53 AM »

Well... turns out I'm a *** pilot, no tactical insight and overwhelmed by all the different armaments and stats.
So I've gathered a buncha ships, go with auto-fitting them and let the AI duke it out while enjoying the lightshow.

All in all, I'm having fun.
In my own way, I guess.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 21, 2022, 05:12:14 AM »

So I've gathered a buncha ships, go with auto-fitting them and let the AI duke it out while enjoying the lightshow.
You do you, boo. I'd advise you, for what its worth, to avoid using auto-fit. The results are random and usually bad weapon combinations.

Üstad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 25, 2022, 05:27:59 AM »

I'm considering buying a low end gaming pc.

A pc with:

Processor: i3 10100f 3.6 hz 4.3 ghz 6mb lga1200p

GPU: Gtx 1650 4GB 128 Bit

RAM: 2x8 GB 3200 Mhz

SSD: Does it matter?

I don't intend to install 50 different ship package&faction mods but I do intent to have slightly larger battle size and possibly fighter heavy battles. Will I get consistent ~50-60 FPS with these settings? How will fighter heavy battles with around 20 different fighters affect my PCs performance?

If this is a wrong place to ask I can make a thread in suitable sub-forum.  :)

Zdubfreelancer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 26, 2022, 09:43:34 AM »

where do i get a little technical support? have an issue from a fatal error , have a heavily modded game trying to pinpoint which mod is causing the issue
need to post a screenshot
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32