Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The end goal  (Read 14484 times)

vorpal+5

• Captain
    • View Profile
The end goal
« on: May 03, 2017, 07:50:00 AM »

Will an end goal exists when the game finally release? Has this been discussed and if yes, what Alex will do? Because I'm one of these (weirdos) players that can't stay motivated playing a game if there is no end goal, just a sandbox. Even if the endgoal is almost impossible to achieve, I must feel I work toward something.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The end goal
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 08:07:05 AM »

Well, at some point end game will definitely get added. We have some groundwork laid out (surveying, REDACTED, more factions), but Alex said that, more or less, what he has now is either not good enough or not conceptualised. He puts some serious thoughts in game mechanisms so I guess that end game will be implemented when end game will work properly. It does mean quite some time, though...

Hypilein

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 10:12:59 AM »

I was under the impression that we will get something of a story line, similar to what we just got as the tutorial with scripted fights (probably some insanely difficult ones) and everything. I was also under the impression that that story line is reserved until all the actual game mechanics are implemented, i.e. for version 1.0. I may of course be wrong.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 10:17:24 AM »

Well, from what I remember it's actually the contrary, SS won't have a set storyline and it may possibly not even have quests, it will be a pretty open sandbox with players left to do almost whatever they want, in the end.

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 02:10:35 PM »

Quote from: Starsector main page
   Upcoming Features

Claim new worlds, build outposts and industry
    Determine the fate of the Sector by your actions

As to what form those will take I can't say, but it's clear the game intends to add long term goals.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 02:54:03 PM »

So does that mean we can build the sector to be a thriving place or only destroy and kill off humanity's presence in the sector?

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 03:47:10 PM »

Nah, it's going to be like Mass Effect where we get to pick the color of the explosion that kills everyone.

tchan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 06:50:26 PM »

Nah, it's going to be like Mass Effect where we get to pick the color of the explosion that kills everyone.

Please don't.  I still have nightmares about that.   :P

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 06:53:03 PM »

Every combat encounter is going to end with a good boarding option and a bad boarding option, and the end of the game will be a cutscene determined by which you did more
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 07:03:45 PM »

Once it updates, the Nexerelin mod gives you an end goal and allows you to take over planets and stations and win the game through that
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

vorpal+5

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 08:23:19 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys!

Embercloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 01:31:34 AM »

-You manage to open up the jump gate system
-millions of hunter seeker AI ships swarm out
-turns out it was the domain itself that turned off the jump gate system in a desperate bid to save humanity
-everyone dies

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 04:38:16 AM »

-You manage to open up the jump gate system
-millions of hunter seeker AI ships swarm out
-turns out it was the domain itself that turned off the jump gate system in a desperate bid to save humanity
-everyone dies

Heheh! :D Either that or the Domain managed to not only turn AI on itself but sentient alien lifeforms who got booted from the galaxy at sometime in the far past.

In fact almost every character I play as is usually an actual alien underneath a broad power armor (Think original dos-era X-Com 1's Mutons with Sectoid's/Ethereal's mental abilities plus heavier genetical modifications, alterations and additions to make the ultimate Alien Space Marine Commando). In .7 version of the game I played as a rage-fueled Kohr-Ah, wiping out humanity left and right. Once Nexerlin updates I'll be more than glad to start removing most of the human presence in the sector again.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 04:50:41 AM by Drokkath »
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

DinoZavarski

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 03:11:26 PM »

Wow, then maybe Mass Effect Andromeda will be more in yous taste. I watched my colleague play it. It started with a ship that brings 20000 humans to a new galaxy and ended with a baby that was born while the main hero killed ~4000 of them (16001 left for next parts i guess).
Me no know, me no understand, me just root...

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 03:20:30 PM »

I'd kinda hope the end version of SS has a 'timer'. Get ready by cycle xxx, when the Domain return. Something akin to that. Sure, be my guest continuing after that happens if you push through.
Pages: [1] 2