Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: I'm getting used to the set course behavior  (Read 5638 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
I'm getting used to the set course behavior
« on: May 02, 2017, 09:25:36 AM »

So there's been a bunch of complaints about the whole "click and drag" thing to set the course to objects, and I admit that it was really weird/annoying at first. The other day though I wanted to set a course for Sindria's capital from another star system. I left clicked the star to quickly enter its planets, then set the course for the planet I wanted.

So in this case, when I actually wanted to see the star's contents, it felt very fluid and natural. Have other people been experiencing the same type of thing, or am I just getting used to bad UI? :P

Also, for reference I believe that right clicking will set course in a single click next version, which will be nice.

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: I'm getting used to the set course behavior
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 10:09:42 AM »

It took a couple sessions to get used to there being a menu there instead of a click just going places, but I don't think it's a bad design. I now occasionally find myself brainlessly setting course to stars instead of planets but again I wouldn't fault the UI for that.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 10:10:14 AM »

It depends. On the hyperspace mao, I like to left click and immediately see the planets in the system. While I am in the system, I want to simply set a course to whatever I selected.

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 01:54:54 PM »

I dont mind it all. What I do mind is that the auto pilot "breaks" if you ever take manual control for a minute. I wish it would just resume auto piloting when I relinquish control automatically. 

Unless there is a button for this Im missing somewhere?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 02:33:28 PM »

I dont mind it all. What I do mind is that the auto pilot "breaks" if you ever take manual control for a minute. I wish it would just resume auto piloting when I relinquish control automatically. 

There is, though it took me a bit to notice - the 'A' key will automatically resume course - same key as will set the course if you are on a planet's description. The 'S' key cancels the path entirely.

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 02:41:53 PM »

There is, though it took me a bit to notice - the 'A' key will automatically resume course - same key as will set the course if you are on a planet's description. The 'S' key cancels the path entirely.

You, my friend, are a fountain of good tips.  Thanks so much!

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 02:49:26 PM »

Considering how much time we spend on just moving around, I'd like to have one button (left, right, whichever I set - it doesn't matter) to always set course to selected body. Otherwise...
Spoiler
I've been using exclusively second tab in intel screen to get to planets I want. :-X
[close]

tchan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 06:48:13 PM »

At first, I didn't even know you could target individual planets.  I was just clicking on the star and letting it autopilot, then was dismayed when my ship arrived on top of the star, sizzling nicely.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 08:00:55 PM »

Set Course has been one of the most glorious features ever added into Starsector.  Sorry Ship Systems. :) I pretty much use Set Course all the time unless I'm know I'm going into a combat scenario or my next target isn't too far away.  Set Course is both efficient and requires no further input from the user, so it's lay back and admire the stars.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 08:54:48 PM »

Set Course is both efficient and requires no further input from the user, so it's lay back and admire the stars.

Let's lay back and admire that plummeting supply number as Set Course drags you through every flux storm in the universe, left unattended. ;)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 09:50:55 PM »

Let's lay back and admire that plummeting supply number as Set Course drags you through every flux storm in the universe, left unattended. ;)
Well, I suppose if it's in Hyperspace, I'll pay a little bit more attention. :) Getting a bit used to cruising around systems exploring all of them.  Some of them are pretty stunning, actually.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 11:30:40 PM »

Well, I suppose if it's in Hyperspace, I'll pay a little bit more attention. :) Getting a bit used to cruising around systems exploring all of them.  Some of them are pretty stunning, actually.

It can actually be a very soothing game with nice visuals.  It's not all about the pew pew.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 11:35:49 PM »

wow, glad it's not just me that's taking it slow and admiring the stars....

As a non-combat oriented fleet, this also serves to make the rare battles far more exciting and make evasion a more prominent part of the game (few things more satisfying than running through a hyperspace storm just before it activates, catching 3 pirates fleets chasing you inside, and burning away laughing
mmm.... tartiflette

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 04:19:53 PM »

wow, glad it's not just me that's taking it slow and admiring the stars....

As a non-combat oriented fleet, this also serves to make the rare battles far more exciting and make evasion a more prominent part of the game (few things more satisfying than running through a hyperspace storm just before it activates, catching 3 pirates fleets chasing you inside, and burning away laughing

Man, I wish I could get your support when I make my arguments that not only is such a thing possible, but also rewarding in the game. I get set upon by people who think it always has to be about capital ship battles, and that the game experience can't vary.