Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Click on system/hyperspace map does not set a destination  (Read 1665 times)

DinoZavarski

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Click on system/hyperspace map does not set a destination
« on: May 01, 2017, 02:32:00 PM »

Not sure if this is a bug, or an intended "meditate while keeping the mouse button pressed" minigame, but it is really annoying - i even managed to fall asleep once while "playing" it, just to find myself somewhere outside of the visible system map (btw: is the hyperspace ruller with it's distances in light years supposed to appear on the in-system map?). If this is related to the new autopilot you may consider making "set waypoint" a selectable option (or even a "set waypoints" - path setting will be usable to go around various nav hazards).

Not directly related, but making "Lay in course" non-default option that has to be specifically chosen in the object popup menu was really bad choice, as in most cases that is exactly what one wants to do when clicking on object (at least you did put "set as destination" in the planetary menu where one usually ends instead). "Go to the system" may be arguably better on the hyperspace map, to allow one to set in-system destinations, but you really have to make "Lay in course" default for system maps with the next release.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 02:34:25 PM by DinoZavarski »
Me no know, me no understand, me just root...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Click on system/hyperspace map does not set a destination
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 02:58:27 PM »

For 0.8.1a, right-clicking on an entity will lay in course, and will also work on empty space.

Re: lay in course being the first choice, I understand where you're coming from - currently it's the main reason for using the map and/or that menu. Fundamentally, though, clicking on the map is about navigating the map, and I think that'll be more important as other campaign mechanics come into play.

But, right-click making "lay in course" accessible instantly w/o a menu should (hopefully) make this a non-issue in any case.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 01:11:54 AM »

Somehow I feel the other way around would be more intuitive, but that is certainly an improvement.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 01:28:38 AM »

Somehow I feel the other way around would be more intuitive, but that is certainly an improvement.

Fundamentally, though, clicking on the map is about navigating the map, and I think that'll be more important as other campaign mechanics come into play.

I (want to) read this as: managing outposts, setting up patrols, setting up trade contracts with markets, ordering your fleets to blockade something, and mayn more high level interactions, all from the map with a left click.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.