Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Most improved ships  (Read 3829 times)

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Most improved ships
« on: May 01, 2017, 10:21:44 AM »

We have a "favorite ship" thread but I'm curious what you think the most improved ships are since 0.8a. I think it goes without saying but Carriers, in general, are a night and day difference since 0.72. Not that you can't nominate one (or all of them!) but the fighter revamp has really changed things. Of the non-carriers, though, what are the ships that you didn't pay attention to before but can't wait to get now?

Frigates - Tempest: It's a surprise but the Tempest got better. The Terminator Drone is now ridiculous with the Ion Pulser and the Active Flare Launcher gives more survivability to an already hard-to-hit craft. It was one of my favorite frigates before but now, I scoop up every one I can find (D-mods or not). It still falls to fighters but its high base speed, decent shields, and very customizable weapon options keep it useful from beginning to end.

Destroyers - Hammerhead: I think this was addition by way of subtraction. The Hammerhead never excelled at anything in 0.72a and was a bottom-tier destroyer that I tested Frigates against in the simulator. Since 0.8a, the extremes of single-ship combat were scaled way back and where Enforcers and Medusas reigned supreme due to combat skills, they're both much more limited. This leaves the Hammerhead in a much better position relative to the other destroyers and its maneuverability and speed remain high even in fleet settings. I've been loving SO Hammerhead builds and have also loved the addition of the Heavy Mortar because its cheap, flux-efficient, and benefits greatly from Accelerated Ammo Feeder. It also doesn't hurt that Hammerheads can put on some decent anti-fighter without losing too much, which is a huge boon in the post-fighter revamp world. It's not the best destroyer out there but I look forward to getting one now.

Cruisers - Aurora: The new Plasma Jet system, paired with an already fast cruiser platform, has made the Aurora a real threat in hit-and-run tactics. Changing the rear medium mount to a synergy also gives Aurora captains some much-needed burst damage in the form of missiles. With other speed boosting skills, the Aurora can keep up with most frigates and can disengage from combat as quickly as it enters. It's a slippery ship to pin down. With a Heavy Blaster loadout, along with some Anti-matter Blasters or Reapers, it can be a capital killer or with a more conservative Pulse Laser/Phase Lance loudout, it can stay in firefights for a very long time due to its deep flux pool and dissipation. It's also slightly cheaper to deploy versus 0.72, which was one major complaint. So far, this has been my favorite cruiser to pilot and the only ship I really fear is a Paragon.

Capitals - Prometheus: This one might seem strange but with the addition of Sustained Burn and far-off lands we want to explore, the venerable Prometheus went from nearly useless to almost priceless. Prior to the patch, its slow burn speed disqualified it from being in any fleet that intended to chase another fleet down but now, they can keep up with everything. The Prometheus is now the go-to tanker if you have a huge fleet needing to travel because its maintenance profile is less than combinations of Phaetons or Drams. I used to never consider getting this behemoth but now they look pretty appetizing when I have a large fleet.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 10:23:33 AM by FooF »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Most improved ships
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 10:29:38 AM »

I'm going to throw the Omen on here as the most improved frigate. Its ship system now does 4x the damage that it did previously, it now has a 360 degree shield by default with excellent efficiency. Just as a point of reference for the EMP system, its DPS is enough to blast through shielded fighters and even frigates, given a couple of activations. And as icing on the cake it gets free ECM, and ECCM to give your entire fleet a range advantage. Oh and its sensor strength is 90 on a frigate.

Its not the killer the Tempest is, but it is just so incredibly useful.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 10:57:15 AM »

I've also been eyeballing the Omen, especially with fighters as they are now. Unfortunately, the little bugger has been hard to track down...

Tempest and Astral probably got the biggest bump.

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 11:54:21 AM »

Isn't the Tempest technically a carrier?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 12:23:37 PM »

I think it is, but it's got only built-in drone, so it feels different.

@FooF I think that accelerated ammo feeder got buffed a little bit in 0.8a, which allows hammerhead to outgun an enforcer for a brief period of time (since it doubles firerate for free, you get to fire 4 mediums and 0/4 light mounts for a price of 2 and 0/2), which coupled with hammerhead's bigger mobility is huge, since it's going to win a lot of flux wars.

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 12:24:50 PM »

I think it is, but it's got only built-in drone, so it feels different.

Does the drone benefit from all the fighter buffs in the leadership tree?

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 12:27:32 PM »

Yes, but it already had the Terminator Drone prior to 0.8a so it wasn't an addition, per se. What did change was the Drone's behavior and weaponry. It used to be a phase ship with an IR Pulse Laser and Burst PD that was notoriously difficult to kill. Terminator Drones now are far easier to kill but the Ion Pulser is much more dangerous than the previous weapons. Overall, I think the change was a straight-up buff to the Drone which in turn makes the Tempest that much better.

Re: Fighter bonuses. I believe the Terminator Drone does benefit from all fighter bonuses, which is also a big deal.

@FooF I think that accelerated ammo feeder got buffed a little bit in 0.8a, which allows hammerhead to outgun an enforcer for a brief period of time (since it doubles firerate for free, you get to fire 4 mediums and 0/4 light mounts for a price of 2 and 0/2), which coupled with hammerhead's bigger mobility is huge, since it's going to win a lot of flux wars.

You're right. It was -30% Flux last patch, wasn't it. Might not seem like a big change but it definitely changes the flux dynamics of a battle. So yeah, that would also explain why it's kicking butt and taking names.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 12:37:29 PM by FooF »

Philder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 01:23:09 PM »

Upgrading the Falcons burn from 8 to 9 has vastly extended its use. As much as I talked up the Falcon in that thread I started, I also understood the grievances people had and acknowledged that the areas of use of a Falcon were not quite big enough to make as big a splash as other ships.

With burn 9, however, it's become the new heavy ship of the early game class and people will want to pick one up early and then find the reasons to keep it relevant as the game progresses.

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 01:29:45 PM »

falcons are fine now.

early game they are the logical endgame of the destroyer fleet, lategame they are the standoff pressure platform and retain an excellent disengagement/re-engagement capability while having a relatively high cruiser-scale performance time.