Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Quick ship, weapon and fighter guides [0.95.1a]  (Read 110660 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Quick ship guide
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »

Really nice intro guide! Thanks for putting it together.

My only comment would be: add a star to the Omen and the Harbringer. Omen for AI hands, Harbringer for combat-specced player.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2017, 01:45:29 PM »

Thanks! It's actually good that you've pointed out that some destroyers (and bigger ships) are also uncommon enough to tell players about it. Flagged omen and harbringer, on my own also medusa, aurora and apogee, but I don't know if there are any other rare and valuable ships that I should point out. I'm not sure if medusa is worth flagging as rare, but it being on BM for some months might have been just my luck. Is it rare enough to warrant "you always want this" sign?

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2017, 01:54:18 PM »

I'm not sure if medusa is worth flagging as rare, but it being on BM for some months might have been just my luck. Is it rare enough to warrant "you always want this" sign?

No. Medusa is fairly mundane even in non-military/black markets. Easy to find to fight and potentially salvage too--bounty fleets love to spam them. 

Pretty much just the phase ships and some of of the more elusive capitals/cruisers would be rare.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 02:12:38 AM »

Changes that I deem wrong and if you want to revert them, discuss in this thread:
1. Removed remark about solo dram exploring. Too risky for a newcomer.
2. Removed remark about arming mudskipper mk II with gauss cannon. I doubt newcomers would find it quickly and besides that, mudskipper is still going to be underwhelming even if you arm it with it. And then there's the fact that AI doesn't treat kindly unshielded ships.
3. Removed second sentence in afflictor's description, it's redundant.
4. Removed remarks about ships being worse in previous version, it's not a 0.7.2a guide.
5. Removed additions about destroyer-sized freighters cargo capacities; redundant due to existence of sheet at the end, not to mention that somebody got tarsus's capacity wrong.
6. Removed remark about destroyers ability to punch above their weight in rarity-annotation, this isn't a place to write this.

Yeah, I'm a bit picky, but that doesn't mean I'm not thankful for your work! Especially for capitals' descriptions and streamlining systems' descriptions.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Quick ship & weapon guides
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 09:20:45 AM »

Added epoch hints in ship guide, updated OP and added weapon guide to it. They are both view-only from now on. If you have any objections or comments, write them down here.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 02:34:03 PM »

Updated ship guide to 0.8.1: added Colossi mk 2 & 3, updated Brawler, Tempest and Odyssey descriptions. I think there wasn't any weapon that has changed in .8.1 update.
Also reminded you that this thing exists. Cheers!

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 08:36:38 PM »

Potential improvements I noticed:

Ox now adds +1 burn to the whole fleet. Should add a mention of its high fuel consumption as well.

Heavy Blaster description could note how unbelievably flux hungry it is.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2017, 02:32:45 AM »

That's what happens when I just skim through the changelog, focusing on combat changes - thanks, added that.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2018, 02:36:49 PM »

Updated for 0.9a, but I may have missed something. I have skimmed through both guides and they don't appear to still hold outdated or missing information.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2018, 04:05:14 PM »

A few suggestions:

>You missed the Thumper for Medium kinetic. Burst frag weapon, useful for pressuring shields and punishing armour-stripped opponents and not much else.
>Antimatter Blaster is still ammo limited, might want to mention that.
>Devastator cannon is more flux-hungry than you anticipate, meaning its better as a combo weapon rather than actual dedicated PD.

>Pirate Afflictor only has two universals instead of four, making it worse in every way.
>Pirate Mule has a medium universal instead of a medium ballistic, improving it's strategic flexibility.
>Pirate Falcon has two medium missiles, two medium composites, two small energy and two small missiles, making it a cheap, fragile and horrifyingly effective alternative to the Gryphon.
>>Might also want to mention that Converted Hangars work really well on pirate falcons and pirate mules

>Might want to mention the Onslaught makes up for it's poor shield with it's obscene armour, with the suggestion that you shouldn't need to use the shield except to catch hellbore shots and letting the PD deal with missiles.
>Might also want to mention the Conquest is awkward in player hands, but works really well under AI control.

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2018, 06:01:09 PM »

Some thoughts:

Weapons-
Agree with the weapon synopsis although worth pointing out that atrops are good for burst damage vs harpoons.

Ships-
Gremlin- phase frigate with missile mounts is pretty legit.  Reapers/hammers/atrop + an expanded rack makes for a hell of a player ship if you want to  snipe a few things out quickly.

Tempest- now built in drones (plural) which slightly change it's mission profile (still a great ship).

Mora- it's not bad as a frontline carrier either. Throw some dual LMG's on the small spots and have it wade in with its fighters on recall (so they don't jack up flux).  Give it two serious missiles (reapers or whatever) and you can flagship with this thing.

pirate variants- probably worth a mention given how significantly they can change a ship.

Astral- should probably mention its unique system makes it a nightmare with bombers.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2018, 06:10:39 PM »

>Might also want to mention the Conquest is awkward in player hands, but works really well under AI control.

AI seems to have it's share of problems. It is adequate at maneuvers against single target, but it's interaction with allies/positioning within a fleet is much worse than what AI can display with Eagles (only slightly faster, same ship system, but simple forward-facing layout).

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2018, 11:44:58 PM »

Added Thumper (I believe I left it out because it was hard to use, not recommended for new users, but it's better for them to know what it is). Changed Devastator Cannon, Atropos and Afflictor, Shade, Mora, Tempest.
I have found Conquest to be good in both player and AI hands, provided you don't loose track of what's happening around you. Positioning in this ship is important.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2018, 04:54:13 AM »

Thumper is not too bad if you have nothing better.  For a while, when I lacked Heavy Maulers for my Onslaught, I used Thumper in the center mediums to shred whatever armor stripped ships that got too close.  I should not rely on slow 700 range kinetics or HE in the middle of my battleship for wearing down defenses.  Actually, I did not have very many basic weapons either.

diegoweiller

• Ensign
  • mimimimi
    • View Profile
Re: Quick ship & weapon guides [0.9a]
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2019, 11:22:00 PM »

Fuel efficiency seems really odd  :P
- And the lord poked his head out from the patron clouds, to look down on his followers in chaos and anarchy as the world was already aflame, out he tossed a canister of gasoline, and out from his mouth his words were: "Screw it."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4