Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Pirate mechanics?  (Read 2563 times)

Hussar

• Captain
    • View Profile
New Pirate mechanics?
« on: April 29, 2017, 03:37:28 PM »

So I've seen others claiming to have certain pirate bases open for trade with them despite the fact they were basically pirate-hunting heavily before. I have also noticed that some pirate bases will be open to trade with me unless I've been pirate-squashing before in the system. But I didn't gave it much thought before.

But I have started a new playthrough in which I'm intending to be a smuggler. So I don't fight. Pirates or Luddic Path may chase me but I don't fight just retreat - so I'm not worsening my rep with those factions. Which is good since I'm also curious can I befriend some of the hostile factions.

So, recently a luck had it I have made a few deliveries to & from Galatia's Derinkuyu Mining Station which is a pirate outpost... And they turned "independent" for me? They're grey on the outside but the market remains "pirate"...
Spoiler

[close]

I made a quick new game just to check that and I'm not wrong - they were Pirate.
Spoiler
[close]

So does this means that each pirate base have a separate relations chart towards the player or something like that?

DeMatt

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: New Pirate mechanics?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 04:53:49 PM »

No, Derinkuyu is specifically set to change from Pirate to Independent, shortly after the end of the campaign tutorial.  Your Hegemony contact specifically says that they'd be going in and cleaning up, after you stabilize the jump point, and then tells you that you can either stick around and take advantage of the bounty they just created, or be free to travel elsewhere.

Generally speaking, if you haven't been drawing attention by smacking pirates, and have turned your transponder off, pirate bases will trade with you even if you're at Vengeful.  Just like smuggling onto hostile faction bases.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 04:56:38 PM »

No, Derinkuyu is specifically set to change from Pirate to Independent, shortly after the end of the campaign tutorial.  Your Hegemony contact specifically says that they'd be going in and cleaning up, after you stabilize the jump point, and then tells you that you can either stick around and take advantage of the bounty they just created, or be free to travel elsewhere.

Generally speaking, if you haven't been drawing attention by smacking pirates, and have turned your transponder off, pirate bases will trade with you even if you're at Vengeful.  Just like smuggling onto hostile faction bases.
This.  Though admittedly it is a bit odd since that's the only occasion in the entire game where such a thing can happen.  All in the heart of story telling, I suppose.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 04:58:24 PM »

This.  Though admittedly it is a bit odd since that's the only occasion in the entire game where such a thing can happen.  All in the heart of story telling, I suppose.

I imagine there will be more opportunity for scripted events like this as the campaign becomes more polished.

Hussar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 05:49:29 PM »

Oh right this might be it. I forgot about this because I skipped the tutorial this time.