Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hyperspace Storms Vs Sustained Burn  (Read 4091 times)

The_Mess

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Hyperspace Storms Vs Sustained Burn
« on: April 29, 2017, 06:23:22 AM »

Just because I had so much supplies stored up in my exploration/[redacted] farming fleet I decided to try punching through a 2 deep layer of hyperspace storms and it worked pretty well. Much better with smaller storms, but the hit to supplies is negated partly by the fact your fleet wont slow down anywhere near as much when at standard speeds and generally my hyperspace speed was about 14-15 when in storms. Which ultimately means you don't necessarily need to make major detours to avoid storms and thus increase your effective range.

What doesn't work though is trying to burst through a thick layer of storms, that will still drain your supplies hugely, though with the supply stash I was still carrying that time I had more than enough to make it back.

tchan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Hyperspace Storms Vs Sustained Burn
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 11:11:46 AM »

That's what I do too.  As long as you got a good amount of supplies, it should be fine.

Sustained Burn really is OP.  It doesn't cost more fuel, nor does it strain supplies (at least none that I noticed).  It lets u go near max/max burn with rarely anything able to catch up to you (unless they are in your path and you can't swerve out of the way).

The slower start and stop burn of the skill and the increased sensor profile is trivial at best.  I haven't used Emergency Burn once in all my hours of playing. 

Most of the time, I speed past things that try to kill me.  Not even a pirate's emergency burn can catch up.   ;D

ChaseBears

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 11:47:57 AM »

Sustained burn also lets you catch smaller, ostensibly faster fleets with no problems.

If I were creating the world I wouldn’t mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o’clock, Day One!

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 12:04:02 PM »

Sustained burn also lets you catch smaller, ostensibly faster fleets with no problems.

Sometimes, if you have the angle and they dont see you coming, but overall this is not my experience--the "no problems" part. The lack of maneuverability means you're likely to overshoot them.  I still have to drop to normal speed and maneuver to catch them with an e-burn most of the time.

S-burn is good for travelling long distances while avoiding most unwanted combat, which is fine with me. I personally find the lack of turning and long start up time too annoying to use when salvaging small targets, or trying to engage one fleet at just the right place to avoid pulling their allies.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 12:25:33 PM »

For me the fleet I'm chasing usually Emergency Burns and (since you get a massive boost to maneuverability when you use E-Burn) ducks out of the way to one side.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

ChaseBears

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 12:32:28 PM »

I've never had a problem with catching fleets in SB.  I'm not any better at the game than anyone else; i'm honestly confused how i'm getting a different experience.   When fleets eburn they typically eburn directly away from you. I am only using regular sburn, not improved.

The only thing i can think of is if you are coming in at an angle to a fleet moving at full speed, they might eburn off to the side.

I do make an effort to keep my signature down, which probably helps. 
If I were creating the world I wouldn’t mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o’clock, Day One!

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 02:51:29 PM »

I'm not any better at the game than anyone else; i'm honestly confused how i'm getting a different experience.   

Well, better than me, apparently.

It's not that what you say isn't true at times, but based on my experience it's an exaggeration to say there are never any problems doing it.

Allectus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 03:52:11 PM »

That's what I do too.  As long as you got a good amount of supplies, it should be fine.

Sustained Burn really is OP.  It doesn't cost more fuel, nor does it strain supplies (at least none that I noticed).  It lets u go near max/max burn with rarely anything able to catch up to you (unless they are in your path and you can't swerve out of the way).

The slower start and stop burn of the skill and the increased sensor profile is trivial at best.  I haven't used Emergency Burn once in all my hours of playing. 

Most of the time, I speed past things that try to kill me.  Not even a pirate's emergency burn can catch up.   ;D

Acceleration should be cut to at most 1/4 of where it is now, imho.  It should be for going in a long, straight line only.  Otherwise (as others has indicated) it obviates a large number of other mechanics.

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 04:17:45 PM »

Acceleration should be cut to at most 1/4 of where it is now, imho.  It should be for going in a long, straight line only.  Otherwise (as others has indicated) it obviates a large number of other mechanics.

That wouldn't solve the problem. Acceleration is already slow and annoying.  It's slow enough to where if you get caught  with s-burn off, turning it on wont save you. You need to e burn to get enough distance to safely engage s burn.

It's when the player is up to speed (for free) that it breaks some other things, like being able to easily catch other fleets you shouldn't.

I'm not sure increasing the cost would solve the issue either.  Fuel burn is already expensive enough that if it cost any more I wouldn't ever use it.

I think the only solution is to have enemy fleets using it as often as the player, or remove it entirely, and personally Id hate to see it go because it's a nice quality of life feature.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:19:32 PM by StarGibbon »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 06:08:04 PM »

Acceleration should be cut to at most 1/4 of where it is now, imho.  It should be for going in a long, straight line only.  Otherwise (as others has indicated) it obviates a large number of other mechanics.
The acceleration is already absurdly slow.  If I miss my target, I pretty much always turn off Sustained Burn, just not worth the time lost.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Hypilein

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 01:42:11 AM »

I think the catching-AI-fleets-you-shouldn't-thing may be solved by improving AI so it recognises you are S-burning and just dodges to the side.