Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Feature request : Target Fire - a halfway between hold fire and autofire.  (Read 2429 times)

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile

I would to see the inclusion of a fire mode between hold fire and fire at will where all available weapons that can be trained on the current target will fire freely, but weapons that are out of range or out of arc will not fire upon other targets (Other than PD)

I would suggest that this be added to the default keybinding for hold fire, cycling between fire at will and hold fire, when no target is selected, and hold fire / target fire/ fire at will when a target is selected.

This would most useful for vessels that are frequently unable to bring most of their weapons to bear on a single target outside of ideal conditions and which also have a complement of weapons easily able to overwhelm any dissipation solution if engaging on multiple fronts. (Eagle, Conquest, Apogee)

Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile

3-state toggle for hold fire makes it MUCH less convenient for it's primary use.

tinsoldier

• Commander
    • View Profile

3-state toggle for hold fire makes it MUCH less convenient for it's primary use.

Then make it a new key, there aren't really that many key combinations required for effective play.

Personally I'd like something like this.  Hate seeing my heavy-armor ships *** around with swatting fighters and building flux when there's a dangerous opponent just out of range of half my guns.  I want to reserve the flux for when I finally bust their shields and need to dash in.  Obviously there are lots of ways you can manage this manually but if there was a button that did it all in one, I'd just use that.

whoopWHAT

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I remember seeing a post like this ages ago, with the ability to target multiple enemies at once and then adjust your auto-fire to whatever you wanted it to target. Seemed like a good idea at the time, just like this, but I doubt it'll get implemented any time soon. :/

Anysy

• Commander
    • View Profile

Id actually be kinda a fan of specific 'fire weapon group x at current target' hotkeys, that might fill the role of what youre looking for.

Personally what I ended up doing was instead of having swap weapon group on 1/2/3/4/5, I changed those buttons to toggle autofire. From there, when the target is in range I turn on autofire, and when its not (or for instance, its shields are up and its an HE weapon group), I can easily turn it off, without resorting to modifier keys, or full hold firing.