Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newbie advice  (Read 4800 times)

arche22

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Newbie advice
« on: February 25, 2012, 01:49:41 PM »

So I just picked this up and so far I am a bit overwhelmed. Is there a newbie guide anywhere, or does anyone have any pointers, or is a lot of it trial and error?

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie advice
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 01:51:39 PM »

Best way is trial and error. Save often and before battles. And turn full dmg ON :)
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

BonhommeCarnaval

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 02:04:27 PM »

We could be of more help if you had specific questions.  :P
Quote from: Archduke Astro
One of you exhibits humility-impairment syndrome
Aww, you so sweet!

arche22

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 02:08:55 PM »

Well I notice you start out with a diff ship each new game, is there one that is the best? Also, how do you know if you can win a fight or not?

Dreyven

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 02:18:41 PM »

Well, the Lasher and the Wolf are two very nice ships to start with

if you can win a fight or not... tricky question...

especially in the beginning, where you only got 1 ship it's totally up to you
depends on how good you are

but you should be able to win every 1v1 against frigates...
fighters are ok too

if you have a bit of practice:
up to 3 ships (no cruisers)
or if you can find a single cruiser (it's most likely a buffalo, which are easy)

arche22

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 02:20:30 PM »

Thanks for the help, guess I will just have to throw myself into it until I learn ship classes and get used to flying :D

BonhommeCarnaval

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 02:30:51 PM »

Here are my suggestions for the starting frigates.

Every frigate : Fit the Augmented Engines hull mod, it will allow you to control most fights since you can break off and vent your flux safely when you need to. It also makes you faster when travelling on the campaign map. Remove your missiles if you plan on having any prolonged fights because all small missile racks have only 3 missiles maximum, except the Swarmers (anti-fighter). If you have any spare ordinance points, put them in flux vents.

Hound : no suggestion, I never started with it and it has no shield, making it very weak. While it could be a fun challenge for an experienced player to start with this, as a newbie you should probably recreate your captain until you get something better.

Vigilance : A fine starting frigate. The stock Pulse laser is very good. Unlimited ammo and good range. You want a good number of flux vents so you can fire it for longer. Ditch the missiles. Kill enemy frigates from outside their weapon range.

Lasher : Also fine starting frigate. If you have Vulcan autocannons then you may want to replace them with light machineguns. Vulcans are rather short on ammo. Ditch the missiles and the expanded missile rack hull mod. Get the Expanded Magazines mod (and Augmented Engines as always). If you can, buy 2 Railguns and fit them in your hardpoint mounts (the ones that can only point forward). Set your light machineguns to autofire and use the railguns to easily overload most shields aswell as to safely snipe people. Railguns and light machineguns both have a very good ammo quantity if you use Expanded Magazines.

Wolf : I never started with the Wolf but I can already tell you it's probably the most powerful frigate to start with. Since I never played it I guess I'll let other people teach you how to do so, or perhaps you can come up with something based on my suggestions for the Vigilance and Lasher.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 02:40:51 PM by BonhommeCarnaval »
Aww, you so sweet!

arche22

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 02:35:45 PM »

Bonhomme reminded me of another question, how do you get points for augements?

BonhommeCarnaval

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 02:39:18 PM »

Every ship has a specific number of OPoints. They are used up by equipping weapons, hull mods and capacitors/vents.

If you need more of them, you need to remove something else from what I listed.
Aww, you so sweet!

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 03:05:20 PM »

hit (r) for the refit screen and select your ship. at the top you will see a large yellow number like 145/145 this is your ordinance point value for this ship. different weapons and hull mods are worth different amounts. as you remove weapons you will see you get points also vents and capacitors use this value one vent one point one capacitor one point. the hull mods scale with the ship class as well. so larger ships cost more ordinance points for hull mods.. weapons are constant ordinance points across all classes of ships.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.