Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 10429 times)

brian

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Suggestions
« on: May 04, 2011, 09:34:22 PM »

(Advise starting a suggestions sub forum - one thread per suggestion, and perhaps make it a rule to make each suggestion votable.)

Since there isn't one yet, here's what I have to say after a couple of rounds:

1. We really do need an audio warning for flux overload.

2. Weapon sounds are a little thin, especially the fighter weapons. Recommend looking up what the chain guns on fighter jets sound like =) Also, I think you can safely do away with the ricochet sounds. It just makes everything feel small - like little car sized spaceships taking potshots at each other with 9mm handguns. Perhaps a cheap method would be to slow down the audio by a small percentage - that'll bring the pitch lower, and stretch it out a little, giving a sense of size.

3. Is there are reason why units don't full-speed-ahead when given move orders?

Of course, there's plenty more to talk about, but I think most of the other shortcomings are a result of this being an alpha version so we'll leave that till later.

Its an incredibly well made game so far, though. Enjoyable, and not too complicated. Can't wait to see what's in the next version.

Qloos

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 09:41:37 PM »

As long as Aldaris isn't announcing my insufficient flux capacity all the time,  I'll be happy.  I still have nightmares about those pylons.

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 09:45:45 PM »

I agree that it is easy to lose track of flux at the moment. Perhaps adding a circular UI element to the cursor to indicate hull / flux / weapon reload might be a good idea.

I also think increasing weapon ranges by about 15% might be a good idea to expand engagements and prevent crowding.

Lastly, due to the chaos of warfare (particle effects, passing ships, etc)  I find the targeting lanes do get a bit lost and overwhelmed. Something as simple as an additional black outline might be enough to get the targeting lanes to really "pop" up over the ensuing madness.

Overall, the game is combat is really well done and this is only the alpha! Can't wait to see the full game - hell, even the beta should be great.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 10:22:42 PM »

I find that its fairly easy to keep track of flux level myself.

bryanvlo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 12:48:25 AM »

I think an audio cue would take away from the gameplay a bit. Then instead of managing it you'll just wait for the audio cue then just hit V automatically. I much prefer Blips idea of having some sort of UI element added to the cursor. 

I think the targeting lanes are fine myself. If you make them pop out anymore they'd be too obtrusive. Like the fourth weapon group on your cruiser in 'The Last Hurrah'. That would look terrible if the targeting lanes were to be any more distinct.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 01:40:37 AM »

Just a thought, but what about a 'hold fire' command.

I want to deploy my carrier, to repair fighters, but I also want him to hold on to his Pilum LRMs until I say so (he's sitting back from the melée). Then when I want to concentrate fire on the Astral, he can start firing.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

brian

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 02:03:48 AM »

@bryanvlo: I think the strategy is in the deciding how and with what weapons to engage. Any support possible should be given to the player to make the best possible decision at any time - its perfectly fair if the player's decision is to Vent the moment flux hits 90% or so, and it'd be great if the UI helped with it.

@mendonca: Yes, better granularity of control over AI units would be nice.

@blips: I agree with increasing weapon ranges to expand engagements. These are giant space ships, they should engage like giant space ships.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 07:23:31 AM »

I definitely think a hold-fire command would be great. Especially when I don't want the pilum being used against low-value targets that can be taken on directly, and I'd rather save them to hit Onslaughts from behind.