Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ships sell for too little  (Read 19694 times)

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Ships sell for too little
« on: April 25, 2017, 03:55:16 AM »

Given how valuable ships are supposed to be and how much we pay to purchase them, there's a surprising mark up / down.

Selling a ship hull is almost never worthwhile if it has any D mods, they're often worth less than the weapons mounted on them.  Even ships in pristine condition sell for a pittance compared to what you'd need to buy them, and that's on the black market.  Once tariffs are taken into account the prices are ruinous.

I realize that there has to be allowances for gameplay, but have you considered making the ship prices much closer to unity and letting the tariff do most of the work splitting the prices apart?  As an example, if ships cost about 110%-120% of their price to buy, but sold for 95% of their price, then you'd actually feel like unloading excess ships on the black market was something to actually consider as worthwhile, wheras right now it's basically risk with almost no reward.  The actual prices would be 30% in either direction of that after tariff, which is still a pretty big split I believe.

Ships are bought for only 40% of their base value right now!  Given that they can easily be SELLING for 150%+, that seems crazy.

I'm fine with D-mods reducing the prices significantly (though it feels very harsh, you can get a lot of d-modded ships pretty easily as well, so it's probably fine) but please, can we get the actual base price variance reduced a bit perhaps?

(To be honest, this applies to almost everything that ISN'T a commodity right now.  Weapons are being bought for 25% of their cost or selling for 150%ish in many cases.  That's before the 30% tariff which is pretty significant.  I'm fine with weapons and suchlike being further apart, but 25% to 150% before tariff?)

It would also be nice if either the military markets charged you less tariff, or just had less markup.  I'm not sure which would be easier to achieve, but less tariff would probably look better on the UI?

Edit: I just broke apart a single D-modded condor for about twice as much supplies fuel and machinery as it was worth on the black market.  A functional light carrier that was selling for less than the price of a talon LPC...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 05:13:22 AM by Darloth »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ships sell for too little
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 05:20:36 AM »

While I think that prices are too low indeed, there's an in-game reason for them to be low: it's hilariously easy to recover ships. If you invest some points in recovering ships you can replace any losses through salvaged ships that aren't complete garbage and if everybody does that, there's little demand for ships. If you buy something this means you really need it, and since you need it they can sell it for high price...
It's somewhat awkward, but it isn't that bad, honestly. Alex has more urgent things to do right now. Also I made a thread about it earlier.

Elijah

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 08:09:29 AM »

It would be actually quite cool to have missions to retrieve a particular ship. Bounty hunting? No, thanks, I'm ship hunting!

It would even make sense lore-wise, as the system is still slowly declining after the closing gate, some particular types of ships should become rarer and rarer, thus more valuable!

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 08:13:23 AM »

Pristine ships should actually sell for a much higher price, due to their rarity. Salvaging isn't likely to get you one, ever. D-ships seem like these prices are reasonable, except that their prices should, yes, not go below the value of scrapping it.

I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 08:56:29 AM »

D-ships seem like these prices are reasonable, except that their prices should, yes, not go below the value of scrapping it.
I mostly agree with this sentiment, though I'd prefer lightly-degraded vessels to have a sale value which is closer to that of a ship in good condition and only the most seriously degraded ships to have a sale value approximating the scrap value; after all, a Condor with Degraded Armor or something like that is more or less unimpaired. It might even be good to have different D-mods devalue the ship by different amounts, though as different ships are affected to differing degrees by each D-mod that might get too complex to be worth modelling.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 09:17:52 AM »

I mostly agree with this sentiment, though I'd prefer lightly-degraded vessels to have a sale value which is closer to that of a ship in good condition and only the most seriously degraded ships to have a sale value approximating the scrap value
agreed. with how common the chance to recover a bunch of barely-functional ships now, increasing the amount you get for selling those might encourage constantly hauling mothballed ships around for easy cash. some of that is nice, but it shouldn't be something you do with most of the ships you find.

ships that are still almost-as-good-as-new should be worth a reasonable sum though.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 09:42:16 AM »

Yeah I'd love it if non-D ships sold for a significant amount, possibly even full value. It's not like they go bad from having been pre-owned by someone else - and no D-mods already implies signifcant and professional maintenance keeping a ship in perfect shape. And it's not like perfect ships are easy to acquire so this wouldn't break the economy in the players favor either.

mav

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 10:06:41 AM »

I prefer having a high chance to recover ships and sell them for scrap value than the other way around.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 10:13:07 AM »

I like that it's pretty easy to get some ships, especially if, with no skills, those ships are gonna have 3-4 d mods.

I'm fine with them being worth a lot less than full price, but they should at least be worth a bit more than their Scuttle value.

I'm fine, and LIKE, that I get more actual value if I just scrapped most of these to start with.

I want pristine condition ships to sell for a LOT more, close to full price as mentioned.

I would very much like ships with only one or two D mods to be a lot closer to that cost.  If it were something like a flat 30% reduction for any Dmods at all, and then a further 10% reduction per D mod instead of whatever it currently is, then maybe that would work?

Camael

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 12:11:46 PM »

Just noting, if You want to test that, there is an entry in the settings.json for sell and buy multiplier for ship prices, in the "stuff that goes nowhere else" tab below the other econ stuff somewhere. I use it to make buying ships more expensive still, to make game progression more... entertaining for myself, but it can easily be modified to equalize prices a bit.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 06:12:15 PM »

for anyone interested, i just found that global ship buying and selling multipliers are changeable in the settings file (\Starsector\starsector-core\data\config\settings.json):

"shipBuyPriceMult":1.2,
"shipSellPriceMult":.4,
"hullWithDModsSellCostMult":0.2,

i'd still like to see less extreme modifiers in vanilla though.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 06:19:09 PM »

This is tricky. I don't like how worthless ships are either, but just changing the modifiers will break the game. Remember, recovering ships after battle is completely free. If you make those broken ships worth money fighting suddenly becomes a lot more profitable.

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 07:53:31 PM »

The price of selling pristine hulls was brought down when the last iteration of boarding went in. You know, the one that was 100% reliable if you had enough marines. (As supposed to the crap-shoot one that had the chance to damage or kill one of your ships in the attempt.)

I don't know if the D mod mult is cumulative with the standard sell price mult. But 0.8 sounds like a fair price multiplier for selling pristine hulls. It's two-thirds of what you paid for it (not counting Tariffs), but it's not a pittance. Currently, if you pay taxes like a good citizen, you're selling a hull for about 18% of what you bought it for.

It also bothers me that the last var ends in "CostMult" while the other two end in "PriceMult", but that's a nitpick.

ChaseBears

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 09:23:44 AM »

There's also the concern of people buying cargo ships for a single cargo mission and then selling them afterwards. I bought 2x Hermes for that purpose and lost about 7000 on the exchange, but made up for it in the mission reward.

I do think pristine ships should recover more of their cost even so.

This is tricky. I don't like how worthless ships are either, but just changing the modifiers will break the game. Remember, recovering ships after battle is completely free. If you make those broken ships worth money fighting suddenly becomes a lot more profitable.
Recovered ships are inherently valuable. You get a ships salvage value if you don't recover it.  So you have an opportunity cost there.  If d-ships are worth more than the economically correct thing will usually be to recover and sell rather than let you choose whichever (unless salvage value is commensurately increased).

I believe Hull & Armor damage reduces price too. Plus the fuel cost of hauling a ship to the breakers.

If I were creating the world I wouldn’t mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o’clock, Day One!

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 10:17:06 AM »

It also bothers me that the last var ends in "CostMult" while the other two end in "PriceMult", but that's a nitpick.
haha, i thought so as well. :D

There's also the concern of people buying cargo ships for a single cargo mission and then selling them afterwards. I bought 2x Hermes for that purpose and lost about 7000 on the exchange, but made up for it in the mission reward.
isn't that fine though? of course players shouldn't be encouraged to constantly buy and sell half their fleet just depending on what mission they just accepted. but something like investing some money into additional freighters for a particularly large and profitable trading run, and then selling most of those again at a slight loss once you return to bounty hunting or smaller freight hauls.. that seems reasonable to me.

completely locking the player into a single, very specific fleet lineup is not something particularly positive (i don't mean to say it necessarily is like that at the moment, just that it shouldn't be).
Pages: [1] 2 3