Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Outpost Plans  (Read 4129 times)

Baro

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Outpost Plans
« on: April 24, 2017, 01:58:04 PM »

Has alex posted anything about the eventual outpost plans?  Since we first got a star-map to explore I've been crazy about the idea of building my own little base or mine and dumping massive amount of time and money into it and eventually turning it into a proper little self sufficient city of some sort.

Now that we have surveying, and I've surveyed some amazing planets, I really want to start colonizing and developing this vast new frontier we have.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Plans
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 02:01:10 PM »

Alex rarely discusses plans besides teases and such until the very end. And even then, he keeps pretty tight lipped about it!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 02:03:35 PM »

Ahh, I don't really want to get into details - I've thought about this stuff, yeah (and quite a bit) but when theory meets implementation, things change, so I'd rather not delve into it. I think you can already pretty clearly see some directions that the design is taking, and extrapolate from that.
So basically we have to wait, but in general if you survey a lot you will be able to choose from bigger number of planets and thus have the highest chance to find some very worthwhile worlds to exploit. I wish we eventually would be able to create new markets that way, because then it'll be possible to destroy old. >:D

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 02:09:27 PM »

With Hyperspace already chugging when you hold shift, I don't the the plan is to allow you to run away and build lots of new markets (unless Alex pulls out even more optimizations).

I think a lot of players do want to be able to build their own bases and even make their own faction! That sounds fun to me and hopefully Alex can work something like that into the game eventually.

As for info about Outposts, well, nothing concrete has been revealed. Long ago Alex hinted at being able to construct your own ships from raw material and of course the planet survey features like Ultrarich Ore, Farmland, etc. etc. implies that Outposts will be able to exploit those resources somehow...

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 04:03:34 PM »

For as much of a placeholder the survey stuff is, it's still fun. Obviously it will lead to the outposts but who knows how far we'll be able to take it. I think what's intriguing is how these various rich/poor worlds translates into gameplay mechanics.

I don't necessarily want the game to turn into Starsector: Terraforming Edition but an industrial outpost that has little/no access to say, food, will have to get it imported. You can buy from the core worlds or settle another world (possible in another system) that does grow. You basically have to create the supply/demand for your various outposts but...if the return is the ability to create fuel, supplies, manufacture ships, etc. it could really be worth it.

Not to mention have automated fleets of your own that could *eventually* challenge the status quo of the sector or prepare for some threat that everyone knows is coming. That's the endgame I hope to have, at least.

Dias Flac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 04:48:37 PM »

speaking of endgame....

I was thinking once I've explored everything, do drones pods or derelict ships ever respawn? My thinking being once you've cleared out the far reaches there's not much reason to go back there.

Do missions in the inner systems respawn assets or spawn them in previous empty systems? Like if I've already cleared out and survey'd a system I see no reason to ever go there again. This will lead to what I believe will be endless bouts of warfare and trade with the inner systems.

This is all completely ignoring future updates where outposts might be a thing. Until that update comes it will be a small galaxy.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 05:01:28 PM »

Heh, it'd still take a long ass time to clear out the entire sector on Normal size.

When you finally do, you'd pretty much be done playing that save file anyways, wouldn't you? You'd surely have millions upon millions of credits at that point.

Dias Flac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 05:45:14 PM »

I suppose. I'm pretty efficient when it comes to surveying and scaving.