Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Enable access to intel tab directly from the missions dialog  (Read 2393 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Enable access to intel tab directly from the missions dialog
« on: April 25, 2017, 02:04:46 PM »

(Posted this elsewhere, but I think it deserves its own thread.)

From the station-dialog where you select new missions, it would be great if you could go directly to the intel tab. Ideally, with the destination of all missions as temporary markers. That way you could see which missions could be combined into one run, and if the potential routes align with any points of interest (bounties, probe data, distress calls).

At the moment I check this manually, but the process is rather laborious:

I usually look at a scan mission  ->  note the constellation  ->   hit esc esc esc till im out of that menu/the station  ->   open the map   ->  switch from system to sector view  ->  locate the constellation   ->   switch to intel screen to see if any bounties or points of interest are on the route   ->  go back to either accept or   ->  repeat the process for another mission offer.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Argonaut

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Enable access to intel tab directly from the missions dialog
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 02:25:23 PM »

Agreed with this, it's an unnecessary chore. There is no reason to remove the tabs on the bottom of the screen in any of the Planet-Station screens.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 02:44:13 PM »

i was thinking of that as well. just a click on the little thingy that shows direction and distance (the one that shows fuel stats on mouseover) could open the map and show a ping at the destination.

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 02:44:46 PM »

And here I was of the opinion that the missions dialog should be a subpanel of the intel tab. Like how your fleet screen and the ship market are different subpanels.

All the other dock options are accessible from each other. (Repair ships is an exception, but it doesn't got its own screen.) But the missions and station personnel screen is a singleton.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 02:46:58 PM by Techhead »

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 02:58:12 PM »

and why can't I go directly to the intel tab from the main planet screen by pressing e?

like, if I press i from the planet screen, I can go to the cargo screen, and then i can press e to go to the intel.

so why can't i just go straight from the planet screen to the intel screen with button e? ???

as they'd say on twitter,
"verry strange UI. sad and/or weird"

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 03:12:23 PM »

and why can't I go directly to the intel tab from the main planet screen by pressing e?
yup, that too! i don't think there's a good (design?) reason for why the various UI-panel hotkeys shouldn't work while in the main market dialogue.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 04:33:01 PM »

It's part of a bigger issue of how the options in the station are represented at the bottom, all apart from info. The interaction as a whole needs a bit revising in regards to the UI taking a lot of the load of navigating us through this more dense world.