Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Increase NPC fleet density  (Read 3104 times)

Lolpingu

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Increase NPC fleet density
« on: May 01, 2017, 04:13:35 PM »

After 0.8, the core systems became strikingly desolate. All the fleets I encounter are small picket fleets, and there aren't that many of them. Pre-0.8, it wasn't unusual to see huge fleets with two onslaughts patrolling Corvus. Now, I'm lucky if I happen by a Dominator or an Aurora. Capital ships are an extremely rare sight.
Because of this, I have nothing worthwhile to attack with my enormous high-tech fleet that I spent so long building up, except for [REDACTED] if I go into a three ping system and make an effort to deliberately face multiple fleets simultaneously.
It would be nice to have more big things to kill.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:22:17 PM by Lolpingu »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Increase fleet density
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 04:22:26 PM »

Hmm - made a note to make higher-end patrols bigger.

Also, iirc, if you attack and defeat patrols in one system, patrols that spawn there will be progressively stronger. I *think* that still works, but not 100% sure.

Lolpingu

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Increase fleet density
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 04:27:20 PM »

Hmm - made a note to make higher-end patrols bigger.

Also, iirc, if you attack and defeat patrols in one system, patrols that spawn there will be progressively stronger. I *think* that still works, but not 100% sure.

That makes logical sense, though the number of patrols appears to be very small. If patrols get more stompy the more I kill, I'm not noticing the effect since I don't have many patrols to kill, and I'm REALLY trying to hunt down every hostile fleet I see (It's worth mentioning that I have a TT commission, which means that everyone except for independents and TT hate me, something you'd think would give me plenty of things to kill).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Increase NPC fleet density
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 04:28:49 PM »

Alright, I'll take a look at that, too. Possible it's not working right.

Lolpingu

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 04:36:45 PM »

Alright, I'll take a look at that, too. Possible it's not working right.

Thank you! I really appreciate the hard work you're putting into making Starsector better  :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 04:37:27 PM »

And I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions :)

ChaseBears

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 10:18:09 PM »

Yeah, i took commission with the Persean League when they were in conflict with the Luddites, and after cruising every single luddite system i never found anything bigger than a destroyer patrol.
If I were creating the world I wouldn’t mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o’clock, Day One!

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 10:21:22 PM »

For me, this has been working pretty well. If i stirr up trouble in a system enough, they will call Detachements for me. Sometimes those detachements are sent into neighbouring systems for some other target.

What has been less reliable though, are the 'at war' events. I've never seen a Luddite fleet in Hybrasil in my whole playthrough, but twice it was at war there with the Persean League (??), which doesn't even have a presence there.

Hussar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 10:35:21 PM »

In my case oh well... For sure in case of Hegemony, if you tackle few mercantile convoys they spawn a lot of fleets. Even small patrols with Onslaughts (the clever buggers wanna ambush us), not to mention a waaaay bigger fleets with numerous battleships and carriers...

From my Hegemony playthrough I also remember that both Persean's and TT were responding in the same manner to a point it was not feasible to stay any longer in the system. Even if you could beat their biggest fleet, you were going to be tackled by another soon after. And another after it and so on.

So in my case it worked well both vanilla and with mods.

Lolpingu

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 12:00:52 PM »

In my case oh well... For sure in case of Hegemony, if you tackle few mercantile convoys they spawn a lot of fleets. Even small patrols with Onslaughts (the clever buggers wanna ambush us), not to mention a waaaay bigger fleets with numerous battleships and carriers...

From my Hegemony playthrough I also remember that both Persean's and TT were responding in the same manner to a point it was not feasible to stay any longer in the system. Even if you could beat their biggest fleet, you were going to be tackled by another soon after. And another after it and so on.

So in my case it worked well both vanilla and with mods.

I should mention that this has only been happening to me post 0.8a. In the previous versions, I had no trouble finding huge fleets to kill. Here, I can't find big things to kill even though I hunt down and kill every hostile fleet I can find. If they run away, I'll pursue them and blast the escaping ships to bits with my phase frigates, leaving no survivors.
The most ridiculous thing is that I can't even find anything big to kill in core systems like Corvus and Eos Exodus. You'd think at least Corvus would be guarded by enormous fleets with multiple XIV Onslaughts, but no such luck for me.