Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Favorite ships of 0.8?  (Read 30915 times)

bowman

• Commander
    • View Profile
Favorite ships of 0.8?
« on: April 23, 2017, 05:24:21 PM »

As usual I the Conquest is my one true love, especially now that it has the Integrated Ballistics special hullmod.

Found myself liking the Heron quite a lot this patch, carrier fleets are fun now and the heron has a nice medium slot with three forward-facing small energy slots for tactical lasers. It works pretty well as a sort of harasser with the lights and med + finishing blow with daggers and broadswords. Can also hold its own against weaker frigates because of the weapons it can field.

Oh, and if we include fighters in favorites, I absolutely love the Khopesh wings. Their attack runs look so cool and they remind me of Cybran fighter-bombers from Supreme Commander. Also make me think Cold War / Russia for some reason.

So what new/old ships have you all been fielding this patch?

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite ships of 0.8?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 05:26:37 PM »

Hammerheads! Various changes have made them a great alternative to the Enforcer for ballistic firepower. The shield is also nice vs. fighter swarms this patch.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 05:33:39 PM »

I like the new Drover and its ship system is pretty good too. It's a great way to get your fighters going early game.

The Khopesh rocket bombers are great, as are the Claws and their Ion Cannons shutting their target down.

Sunder with lots of flux and Autopulse Laser + High Energy Focus ship system is fun to fly around nuking a target of your choice.

Enforcers/Dominators fitted with Heavy Armor, Armored Weapon Mounts + all the defensive officer skills make for near indestructible bricks that can burn drive around raising hell.

I need to try out the new Legion...

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 05:37:50 PM »

The REDACTED battlestation! Fighting that thing is AWESOME!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

bowman

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 06:05:16 PM »

Ive wanted to try a legion but havent seen one yet, I assume Hegemony sells them and I've sided with the Sindrian Diktat.. and they've declared war on everyone except the Persean League and the Independents

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 06:06:46 PM »

Legions are fun :). 5x Sabot Pods to clear the way for 1x Broadsword + 3x Piranha obliterates everything except a Paragon in moments.

I haven't fought a Paragon outside of the sim, but they seem indestructible.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 06:22:23 PM »

Agree about Hammerheads being in a much better place now; I tend to equip mine with fighters - claw or spark, generally.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Abradolf Lincler

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 06:30:52 PM »

I will always love my Apogee, no matter what Alex does to it. i will always find a way

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 06:33:13 PM »

How are you equipping them with fighters? Do you have to find the modspec?

Mysterhay

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 06:36:16 PM »

Falcon... Ignore the small energy weapons and save up for a converted flight deck with talons or sparks for PD. Invest all other OP in your preferred offensive setup. You have a cruiser hull that's cheap to deploy so stacks nicely for ECM/fleet speed bonus, will catch anything with its speed boost ship system and has decent flux characteristics to boot.

Oh, and it's a sexy sprite  :-*

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 06:36:42 PM »

Tempest with the new drone is just freaking monstrous. I haven't even flown it and it's still my favorite just from how thoroughly it destroyed me when I fought against it. (The drone has an ion pulser now - it can easily EMP down an entire destroyer if it finds a gap in the shield, and it's just as impossible to shoot down as ever.)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 06:43:53 PM »

Where are people finding the hanger modspec?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

oorek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 06:50:41 PM »

The Aurora is the pound-for-pound king of ships in 0.8. If you use safety override it can dissipate enough flux to constantly fire three heavy blasters (that's 1500 DPS on its own) and 4-6 IR pulse lasers (152 DPS each)
It also goes 260+ speed with its ability activated.

Honorable mention to the Tempest, but the terminator drone is wimpy this patch. It doesn't venture away from the Tempest no matter what, and it can't actually strip shields or inflict much damage. I preferred the Tempest when it had a gnarly little sidekick which could go mano-e-mano with most frigates.

Where are people finding the hanger modspec?

I found one at a Tri-Tac military market, but I've heard they're also gettable from research stations.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 07:15:05 PM »

Carriers are quite awesome now. I've used Condors, Drovers, Herons, Moras, and a Legion at some point or another. The Legion is something else. It's like up-sizing a Dominator and adding 4 flight decks. The AI still treats it like a carrier though and doesn't like to really get into close quarters (even with an Aggressive officer). However, in conjunction with its fighters, very little can stand toe-to-toe with it. I've face-tanked an Onslaught and come out on top but the Paragon...I couldn't come close to even hurting it with a Legion. It's in a league of its own right now.

As others have said, a lot of the old ships have had new life breathed into them. Most of this is due to previously overpowered ships being unable to cover all their flaws via skills like vent spam, a ton of extra OP, etc. Hammerheads are much more competitive with Enforcers because of their speed and fighters have been creaming all the Medusas I've been fighting.

I went Hegemony in my first play through but would like to go high-tech next. The Aurora, with the speed ability and the new synergy mount, looks dead-sexy and I really like a lot of the high-tech fighters. I'd love to pair a Paragon with an Astral and see the mayhem.  ;D

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 07:17:10 PM »

Legions are fun :). 5x Sabot Pods to clear the way for 1x Broadsword + 3x Piranha obliterates everything except a Paragon in moments.

I haven't fought a Paragon outside of the sim, but they seem indestructible.
This.  Carriers are stupid-powerful this update.  Just got one myself and found the biggest, baddest REDACTED thing out there and, with my best carrier officer at the helm of a Legion with a pair of supporting Moras and a handfull of destroyers took it down.  It was really damn satisfying.

Legion are fun, but I think the Drover rates at the top for me.  It's not nearly as slow as the Legion or the Mora especially - that thing can't get anywhere for it's life, and at least the Legion gets Burn Drive (though god forbid if the Legion or the Atlas got the Reserve Deployment ship system).  The Drover can just run around the make going where it's needed, and is probably the most enjoyable carrier out of the bunch.  It might not be able to fight as well, but 4 Swarmers and a pair of Talons tends to fight against all kinds of REDACTED well.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 07:30:49 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6