Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Request: Venture (Militarized Hegemony Auxiliary)  (Read 10143 times)

Lanvrik

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Request: Venture (Militarized Hegemony Auxiliary)
« on: April 23, 2017, 11:51:36 AM »

Wondering if there will ever be an (A) variant of this vessel. Among civilian ships, I think this hull could be a good candidate for militarization.

1) Remove "Civilian-grade Hull" mod.
2) Remove "Surveying Equipment" mod.
3) Convert fighter bay to full functionality.
3a) Perhaps add a second fighter bay at the cost of cargo capacity.
4) Add "Militarized Hegemony Auxiliary" mod.

They might be thought of as the core vessels which auxiliary fleets would muster around.

Thank you for your consideration.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 12:23:10 PM by Lanvrik »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Request: Venture (Militarized Hegemony Auxiliary)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 02:51:31 PM »

Yesssssssss. Give me my combat Ventures back....

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 03:49:35 PM »

A Pirate variant would be nice too. With modified Mining Pods that fire one-shot Mining Blasts. Hmmm.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 04:51:03 PM »

The Venture is still (or again) a nasty beast. I faced off against one at the end of the tutorial. It took several attempts and wasting my ships' CR almost down to zero to crack that nut with a Pulse Laser as the most damage-dealing weapon of a 3-ship fleet. Aux version would be cool, but any more carrier capability and it'll almost certainly be too good. It's got the weapons and armour already.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 05:01:39 PM »

I had a half-assed attempt at it just now, couldn't quite get it working because I'm not sure how to remove the mining pod wing or increase the number of fighter bays

did make a hegemony venture though, so if someone wanna try playing around with it, go right ahead

mmm.... tartiflette

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 06:51:31 PM »

Nice sprite!

Converting the fixed drone bay to a full fighter bay isn't too hard, but I agree in that two bays is probably too many.

Investigate the venture.ship file in starsector-core\data\hulls

remove the:
    "builtInWings": ["mining_drone_wing"],
line, remove the:
Code
    "builtInMods": [
        "civgrade",
        "surveying_equipment"
    ],
section entirely, and you basically have the new hull you desire.

Then you'll need to make at least one variant for it, go find the venture variants in the variants folder, and also add a line for it in the ship_data.csv... though, of course, to be a proper mod, you wouldn't do this in the core folder, you'd make a new ship_data.csv in its own mod directory with just one line for your new ship, and a folder structure for your new files, etc etc.

That said, maybe you could do it as a skin.  Might be possible.  In that case, you'd add a new .skin file and it would contain... hmm, I know less about skins.

Well you'd need to specify the WS 008 in the remove built in weapons part of it, and the hull mods you wanted gone.  That would probably do the trick without needing any further changes, so something like:

venture_a.skin containing:
Code
{
"baseHullId":"venture",
"skinHullId":"venture_a",
"hullName":"Venture (A)",
"descriptionId":"venture",
"descriptionPrefix":"This ship is on the Hegemony auxiliary list and as such its systems have been upgraded to military standard and a rigorous schedule of servicing enforced with the expectation that it can be pressed into military service during emergencies.  Slightly more extensive modifications have been made to allow upgraded Ventures to support any single fighter wing.",
"fleetPoints":14,
"ordnancePoints":120,
"baseValueMult":1.5,
"spriteName":"graphics/ships/venture/venture_a.png",
"removeHints":[CIVILIAN],
"removeWeaponSlots":[], # ids
"removeEngineSlots":[], # indices, as engine slots have no id in the .ship file
"removeBuiltInMods":["civgrade", "surveying_equipment"], # hullmod ids
"removeBuiltInWeapons":["WS 008"], # weapon slot ids
"removeBuiltInWings":["mining_drone_wing"], # no idea if this will work - edit, it did.
"builtInMods":[],
"builtInWeapons":{
    },
}

Then you just need to put that in a mod in the appropriate place, make sure that mod also has a venture_a.png in the appropriate place (easy since someone has done the art!) and... you should be good? Unless skins don't work on built in wings, never tried.

Edit: Since I had done most of it anyway...

Tested it, seemed to work in simulator.

Here's the full download: Edit: Removed as obsolete.

I opted not to actually give it the hegemony auxiliary hull mod, since the Venture is pretty tough as it is, it doesn't seem to need more armor.  I gave it +10 ordnance points instead to compensate for the lack of surveying equipment.  I don't know if you can reduce cargo values in skin files, and I didn't try, but ideally it would have.  I did make it cost 150% of its normal cost though.  Advice on balancing further would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 02:25:08 AM by Darloth »

Lanvrik

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 09:41:03 PM »

This community continues to exceed all expectations. :o

Thank you all!   :D

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 09:55:00 PM »

I swear I tried that very thing for removing built in wings and didn't work. It does now for whatever reason and I look like an idiot... oh well.

gonna be making a few variants and go for campaign integration, report back when I have something
mmm.... tartiflette

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
mmm.... tartiflette

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 03:24:32 AM »

Very nice! :D

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 08:26:04 AM »

If you think about it, Venture's one of the better candidates for militarization. 2 medium and 2 small missiles, 1 medium energy, 2 medium ballistic mounts. Fast reload racks and armour almost that of a Dominator (1250). It could easily serve as long-range support by giving it missiles and HVD/maulers and 1 hangar bay is a nice bonus as well.
#AddVentureAuxiliaryToVanilla

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 04:14:11 PM »

If you think about it, Venture's one of the better candidates for militarization. 2 medium and 2 small missiles, 1 medium energy, 2 medium ballistic mounts. Fast reload racks and armour almost that of a Dominator (1250). It could easily serve as long-range support by giving it missiles and HVD/maulers and 1 hangar bay is a nice bonus as well.
#AddVentureAuxiliaryToVanilla

Seconded.  :D